1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me some cheap inner earphones please :)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by John Jennings, Feb 29, 2004.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, just looking for some cheap inner earphones for my mp3 player. Only looking to spend about £20.

Was just looking at the Sony Fontopia ones for £17.99 most places. Have also thought of some Senheiser ones.

I'm not a bassaholic, I like a nice clean treble though.

I realise this forum's not exactly 'headphones', but it seemed the closest one.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there were some sennheiser ones..... but ive never found where to buy them :(

ad

3. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sennheiser MX400? Any thoughts on quality anyone?

The Sony ones are the mdr ed21lp.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i use them with my mp3 player they sell for £9.99 every sennheiser dealer that sells personal audio should stock them but if not any sennheiser dealer can order them in!!
    Double check price 1st as some places have been trying to get £15 for these (Don't bother with MX500 only difference is the volume control)

5. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cool, thanks. So how do they sound? I know they're super-cheap, so can't expect hi-fi, but are they a pleasant listen?

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sennheaiser dealer..... have to check that out thanks.

ad

7. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    Not bad but the MX500 at £15-20 is a good deal better. They seem to be available from stacks of outlets. I got mine from Richer if that's any help.

8. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,460
    The MX400's are nothing special, Sony MDR-E848 are King if you can still find some. The difference is night and day (and I'm not one to say that sort of thing). Try eBay as they still might be available via a Japanese dealer who used to list them there.

MX500 are more than just the 400's with a volume slider. I'd hope they were alot better than the 400's and they're not much more: http://www.veronica.co.uk/mx500.htm

Mike.

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sennheiser reps seem to disagree with that.
    The reps stated the difference is a volume control and colour!
    frequency range is stated as 2,000Hz higher on their site though but MX400 do 20,000Hz (Human hearing).
    Even that site you quote is an extra £7.00 for those differences.
    They the third best personal unit headphones i've tried.
    The PX range by sennheiser if you wanna spend £40 and move away from in ear!
    or the Sony MDRQ range Earclip style but have much better base (But still cost about £20)

10. bartis666

bartis666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never tried the Sennheisers, but I hear they're very good.
    I myself bought some Sony MDR-EX71SL ones, which are superb.
    I am using them on my iPod mini:laugh: and they sound abosultely superb compared to the bog-standard ones you get with the iPod. Also, they come in white, so you don't lose the distinctive colour of iPods. But they also come in black if you want.
    They are the second-best in ear headphones Sony offers, the best being MDR-NC11, which are extremely good, but they cost over £100 compared to the £28 for the MDR-EX71SLs. Too much of a difference for a slight upward quality, I heard, but I'm not even that sure about the MDR-NC11s, I heard they are a bit bassy at points, but I didn't buy them!
    The bass isn't too extravagent on the EX71s, is is just right and if you have super bass on your player, whatever it is, you can load some extra on with that. But like you, I just like a nice undertone of bass with clear-cut treble, and these perform to my every need.
    Anyway, for £28, the Sonys have got to be worth considering, and it's definately worth the extra tenner for these as opposed to the cheaper Fontopias.

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I've got a set of the Sennheisers that I use for portable listening a fair bit,and also a set of Etymotic earphones,which are much more expensive at £120....given that the Sennheisers are very cheap by comparison,the performance is actually pretty reasonable,and if they get nicked,broken or lost,it's not a lot to replace.