1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me new Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by rollins, Aug 7, 2005.

1. rollins

rollins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hey Guys

Yup, another one of those annoying what one threads, but hopefully someone will take heart and help me out.

Yesterday I bought Myself a CL Zen Micro to replace my Sony HD-NW1, due to the fact that XP 64Bit support for the Sony looks to be non existant. So far I'm very happy with the Volume, and Clarity of the music (I listen to anything and everything)

At the moment, my headphones are Sony MDR-V300 Cans, but I think that it might be time to retire them. The main reason is the 3 Metre Cable that comes with it. They are great phones, but I really need something a bit more shorted in the cable race, as I use them in work every day, and people are starting to notice the HUGE bulge in my pocket :D

What I'm looking for is a DJ Style Headphone (Over the Head, big cans - Due to a birth defect, I have no ear canal on my right ear, however, with the big cans, the sound vibrates through my skull, and into the Inner ear, which is formed. Voila, Sound in my Right Ear) with a standard Headphone jack, and ideally 1 metre cable either straight or curly.

Can anyone help with a recommendation? Ideally I'm looking to spend sub £50, but can go higher depending on the quality. I'm looking for a headphone that has a meaty bass, but doesnt sacrifice the Mid and Treble Range. A good all rounder that can handle Rock and metal as well as classical and jazz.

Cheers

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The Sennheiser PX200 is the nearest (and notably better) competitor to the V300 which should satisfy your needs. £30 ~ £40 depending on store. Folds flat too. You could also check out the AKG K26P, which I haven't tried yet but are touted as PX200-killers.

3. rollins

rollins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the Recommendations mate. Will check up on the reviews, but from a quick browse, the AKG's specs look might impressive.

4. Funky

Funky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Looking for Bass? I recommend the Technics RP-DJ1200 which is made by panasonic. I owned those technics dj1200 headphones for a little while. i thought they were pretty decent. I haven't heard them in a long while though, but I can still remember its bass performance are excellent.

5. Superstar2005

Superstar2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found a higher series model called Technics RP-DJ1210 check this out ;)

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If you HAVE to have DJ-style headphones... The DJ1210's about £100 in the UK. The Sennheiser HD25-1 (£130 typical) is quite a bit better although it doesn't fold (it does have support for single sided monitoring though)

7. Lotus_elise

Lotus_elise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i found a place selling DJ1210s for £72.90. For that price, it's going to worth every dollar you spend! Click here

8. Superstar2005

Superstar2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the DJ1210 provides a rotary housing suitable for single side monitoring, anyone had this experience?

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I don't think any of the DJ phones apart from the Sennheiser HD25-1 are worth it for general purpose listening to be honest. They (once again apart from the HD25-1) are really heavy, bulky and generally sound murky.

10. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  11. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

Quoting Original Poster:
    "Due to a birth defect, I have no ear canal on my right ear"

12. kennydies

kennydies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    oops, teach me not to read.
    Still... very good headphones...

13. rollins

rollins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Tell me about it guys - Typical British NHS stated that they would do nothing to attempt to open up the ear canal, even though its there. ITs just a layer of skin over where the canal opening would be. The verdict was that it would not be cost sensitive due to my age (25)

Well, the PX200's arrived today, and they are indeed very nice. However, I may be buying a slightly more expensive pair for in house listening, so those recommendations definately give me somewhere to start from. Looking at the technics, as a friend of mine started shouting "You gotta get the techs man". Seems he is a fan.

thanks again guys - always appreciated.

14. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    If you want murky pounding bass the Techs will be the best of a bad bunch (as far as most DJ phones are concerned). The Sennheiser HD25-1 that I mentioned before actually qualify as hi-fi phones for sound quality yet they have the response that Dj's like. Unfortunately a little overpriced these days.

If it's just for home listening, you don't need closed phones so take a look at the Grado SR60/80 as well. In terms of price, taking out of the equation things like portability or suitability for outside use, you're unlikely to find anything that sounds much better.