Recommend me an MP3 player, 20GB +

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Jamie Bug, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Jamie Bug

Jamie Bug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,

After I recently found out that my Sony NWA-3000 doesn't allow me to take music back from it to my PC's hard drive, and in addition to the myriad of other problems that this player suffers, I've decided that I need a new MP3 player. It needs to meet the following criteria, in order of priority:

1. Easy to use, liberal software that allows me to take music back off of my player when I need it and isn't tied down by infuriating digital rights complications. A player which is recognised as a universal mass storage device in Windows would be ideal.
    2. Allows you to make and edits play lists easily and on the go, with no beeps, song caps or much fussing about, just "add to playlist", "save" and "name".
    3. 20 GB storage capacity or more.
    4. High volume and good sound quality.
    5. No more than £150.
    6. Recognised by an Xbox 360 (this isn't essential but would be very nice).

Video playback, colour screens, photos and all the rest of it would of course be nice, as long as they don't hugely affect the price or affect the performance of the player -- I'm in it for the music only thanks.

At the moment, the Creative Zen Vision:M seems to be a good candidate as I'm pretty certain it reaches all of the above. I was going to go for the 30GB iPod Video until I realised you can't take music back off of it, and unless this is easily modified with a third-party program, I'm not interested.

Thanks for you time :).

2. Jamie Bug

Jamie Bug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any ideas?

Anything would be appreciated.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    In terms of 1, if the music has DRM on it then one device isn't going to be any better than another in that perticular respect.

Either go somewhere that sells DRM free music, or buy the CD and rip it yourself - which is what I generally do.

4. eyeballKid

eyeballKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Jamie,

You mention good sound quality, but don't really elaborate on this. As music playback seems to be your main requirement for your music player, and as you're already enjoying the quality sound of the Sony, presumably with gapless ATRAC, this may be the feature to focus on - and for gapless out of the box, you're looking at Sony or Apple (of course if you don't listen to albums and only want shuffle/playlist 'jukebox' mode, gapless is less important). As for other issues, well Sony still wins for battery life, but I assume the "other problems" include the awful Sonic Stage software.

Xbox 360 playback can also be achieved by leaving the music on your PC and using Windows media connect (having music on your PC also solves item 1 on your list), assuming it's in a compatible (ie. non-ATRAC) format... I solve the problem by ripping lossless FLAC to a big hard drive and then down-converting to ATRAC for the walkman and MP3 for the Xbox... maybe a big hard drive is the best use of your money?

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    The ZVM doesn't support gapless, however it ticks most of your other boxes. I found the volume settings to be quite low for mine, but this is easily fixed by downloading the US firmware.

6. Jamie Bug

Jamie Bug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Eyeball kid,

To be honest bud I didn't notice the gaps in between tracks on my previous Creative, and by 'good sound quality', as long as it isn't god awful or whisper quiet I doubt I'll notice the difference between 'good' and 'great' through a pair of bud earphones that I'll be using on the bus or whatever. As long as I'm able to play two different albums mixed together at once and the software lets me take music on and off my player then I'll be most of the way to happiness. And with the PC and Xbox 360 mix, I'm aware it's possible to do it, but only when the PC's actually powered. The PC being on 24hrs a day is something I doubt my father will appreciate when he sees the electricity bill ;).

Posting on other forums, the ZVM seems to be the best bet so I've more or less made my mind up. I loved my Creative Zen Touch and Muvo, and only switched to Sony when my Touch's earjack stopped working, something which evidently was a mistake.

So unless you guys can dissuade be, I'll be getting the ZVM, and I just want to know if it does actually allow you to take music back of the player. Previous versions with the Touch and my Dad's Nomad Jukebox let you do it easily, but the software has most likely been updated since then and I was wondering if it's still possible?

Thanks a lot for your responses.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    I do not use the Creative software so I'm not aware whether this can be done or not. I'm sure someone else who owns it knows?

8. Jamie Bug

Jamie Bug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which do you use? And does it allow it?

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    I have the ZVM but I don't use the software (I just use Windows Explorer). Thinking about it though, I suppose you could drag and drop from the ZVM to the PC if needed, although I've never tried it!

10. Jamie Bug

Jamie Bug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Windows Explorer? So it is actually drag and drop then?

11. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    As long as you are using Windows XP and have Service Pack 2 installed then yes!

12. Jamie Bug

Jamie Bug
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Awesome, I'll definitely be getting me one of these then. Thanks for all your help guys :).

13. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Just to make it clear this is a MTP device so you can't drag and drop data files like you can with an UMS device. However, I think you can create a partition that allows data to be stored if you need to.

14. fizl

fizl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Archos Gmini.

20gig and is pure drag and drop. It doesn't do video or anything like that, it is purely an MP3 player though

(Its small too)

Shaz

15. Tsunami

Tsunami

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have also been looking at these. Amazon has them for £139.99 at the moment. Seems like a pretty decent price.

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Goodness, that's come down since I bought it! Great price!