• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommend me an LCD please!

D

D33

H'ok,

I was set on Plasma but everyone seems to be telling me to go for LCD instead. I personally seem to find Plasma warmer than LCD, there's something about it.. less noise on screen. I dunno.. Maybe it's because stores can't setup display models for crap :/

Anyway.. it would seem the correct decision to make is LCD :)

I'm after a Television I can use for viewing channels, watching VCR/DVD, playing console video games and plugging me PC into ( DVI prefered over VGA, double DVI even more prefered but couldn't care less either way ).

It must have at least one DVI port and internal Freeview capability.

I have a Sony Laptop at home with an X-Black screen. It's far better than your average dull Matt effect and I'm just wondering if this type of technology exists for lcd televisions? Pros/Cons?

I'm generally looking at LG, although what other companies do you recommend and what pros/cons do these companies have?

Thanks in advance :)

Urien Rheged

Distinguished Member
I have just got the Toshiba 42WLT58 from Freemans for £1424.99. I use it for similar things than you require one for. The set is fantastic in my opinion. Much better than I dared to hope for. It's only fault was some light seepage from the backlight but this has now disappeared. No dead pixels and the PQ is excellent even on a LD source. xbox 360 is stunning.:thumbsup:

Also has 2 HDMI's sockets which will be essential once Sky HD comes out.

D

D33

Cool, I'll check it out now :)

Forgot to add, my budget is up to £2k.

Skeletal

Standard Member
By all means get the opinions of a few people, but I would strongly advise you look at a few screens yourself and make your own mind up.

I have a 37 inch Panny HD plasma for the main telly and the “famous” Argos Wharfedale 17 in LCD portable for the kitchen etc.

The Panny is mind blowing (the new Planet Earth documentary has to be seen to be believed!). The Wharfedale is perfect for its secondary role, but not a patch on the Panny (not complaining at all, and there is a bit of a price difference!).

The problem, for me, on non-plasmas, is there is a slight colour shift depending on the angle of viewing, and blacks are not reproduced quite right. I’ve noticed this even on the bigger LCDs. But, again, the more you pay the better this sort of thing gets.

Go to a good shop...lie on the floor and look up…stand over it and look down…move to the side and have a look.

(I get some strange looks when I go into shops for some reason :rotfl: )

Skeletal

Smiffy 2

Prominent Member
Skeletal said:
Go to a good shop...lie on the floor and look up…stand over it and look down…move to the side and have a look.
Skeletal

Particularly rewarding if the young, female shop assistant has a short skirt and low cut blouse on.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

D

D33

Skeletal said:
By all means get the opinions of a few people, but I would strongly advise you look at a few screens yourself and make your own mind up.

I have a 37 inch Panny HD plasma for the main telly and the “famous” Argos Wharfedale 17 in LCD portable for the kitchen etc.

The Panny is mind blowing (the new Planet Earth documentary has to be seen to be believed!). The Wharfedale is perfect for its secondary role, but not a patch on the Panny (not complaining at all, and there is a bit of a price difference!).

The problem, for me, on non-plasmas, is there is a slight colour shift depending on the angle of viewing, and blacks are not reproduced quite right. I’ve noticed this even on the bigger LCDs. But, again, the more you pay the better this sort of thing gets.

(I get some strange looks when I go into shops for some reason :rotfl: )

Skeletal

I've been researching / looking since October 2005 :)

One of the more intelligent sales people at a local store told me to hold off until April 2006 as he said prices will fall for the better sets. I have done and I've started to see the lower prices since early March.

Constantly going back to the stores to look at the different units, check them out from weird angles etc, etc. The trouble I've found is..

a) No set seems to have the exact specifications I want.
b) No matter how many pro's, there's always a large con.
c) Everyone gives conflicting advice.
d) I'm not fully hip with todays tv jive. Ya' dig?
e) Everywhere I go I'm told LCD, LCD, LCD until I get to this forum and, from looking at all of the Plasma vs LCD documentation, I read "plasma".

It's so confusing :/

Skeletal

Standard Member
I know exactly what you mean…you have my sympathy.

Many years ago we had a baby that did nothing but cry. We sought help from everyone you could think of including paediatricians, health workers, parents, neighbours etc, etc. Nothing helped, and everyone told us conflicting things. As a result of this great experience, I can now offer advice to all new parents; it is: “My advice to you is to ignore all advice given to you” :rolleyes:

HiFis, computers, tellys are all very similar. The problem is that everyone has different priorities. One man’s meat is another man’s poison etc.

The good news is that stuff is getting cheaper and if you go for a good quality set, you should end up being (relatively!) happy no matter what you go for.

Perhaps you could indicate some of the “cons” you mention. This may point to your particular preferences. To me, I very quickly decided that the Panasonic TH-37PV500B had the best picture quality for the price and it seems to be a popular choice on this forum. Some have noticed a buzzing noise and also faint lines on the picture; I haven’t. Also note that tellys in shops are invariably set to “shop mode” which means too much brightness and too much contrast. They are usually set like this by default and you need to turn all the settings down, try half way as a good starter. It would be better to try to view a few tellys, at lower settings, in a less harsh light than a typical shop.

But, I think you will end up agonising about what to do for ages!!

Oh, and no matter how much choice there is, you will never get quite what you want!

Good luck.

Skeletal

Urien Rheged

Distinguished Member
I too agree its all down to personal preference.
I too spend a long time researching and many people advised that if you use the Xbox 360 a lot (which I do) then the static images it produces can 'sometimes' cause screen burn on a Plasma screen. Now I know many Plasma owners disagree with this but I do know someone who had this happen after playing PDZ on the 360. This is what swung it for me to go for the Tosh 42WLT58, that and the fantastic price of £1424.99 from Freemans (also comes with a stand).

Urien Rheged

Distinguished Member
Someone once joked to me that LG stood for 'Low Grade'. They said they were not very good. I personally haven't had an LG products myself, but I know they do have their critics.

Also, why pay two and a half grand for a 42inch LCD when you can get a 42 inch Tosh for £1424.99?

D

D33

Because like you've heard about LG I've heard about Toshiba :)

Swings and Roundabouts.
I was always under the impression that LG was one of the market leaders?

Hmm :/

C

crezi

Hi,

It sounds like I am in a similar position.. I want to go for a 37-42" LCD to be wall mounted but I seem to be going round in circles.. I can't really go over £1300 as I need a surround sound system to go with it.

Help Please ???

:confused:

M

microtan

dojoman said:
I am interested in the 42" Toshiba but I have just had a look on the Freemans site and it is priced at £1899, the 37" is priced at £1499 am I looking at the right site or have the prices gone up? Any help much appreciated..

http://www.freemans.com/web/main/Pr...37 ins&size=&catno=57J727&suffix=1&quantity=1

First have a look at http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/sbs/100311823/14135956.html to get an idea of prices incuding delivery.

Then I recommend that you look at http://ws1.homecinematv.co.uk/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=LCD.TELEVISION&pg=7 also checking how much they charge for delivery. They will do a price match if you phone them. The Price Promise "applies to an identical product found at electrical retailers only, in stock, boxed with the same offer at a better price within 7 days". This includes online retailers.

They are part of Hughes Direct a well established electrical dealer and I bought my LCD TV from them and it was delivered within 48 hours. Later they matched a lower in stock price in line with their price match promise. They check that the item is in stock with their competitor and get back to you either by phone or if you prefer email within a working day. They also isend you a revised invoice in the post.

My other advice is maybe to hold back until after Easter as new models then come into stock. Also visit the manufacturers or US websites to get information on the latest models.

Look out for a specification of Pixel Response Time of 10 ms (milliseconds) or quicker as LCD TV with slower response times e.g. 25 ms may display fast scrolling titles like film credits with a slight judder.

Urien Rheged

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom