Recommend me an indoor TV aerial/antenna

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Michael045, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Michael045

Michael045
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alight people

Recently moved back to my folks on a temp basis and want to use my 32" LG HD TV, however the aerial I currently have doesn't give me access to all freeview channels.

I know that really I should just get some to install an aerial from the antenna on the roof, but as I only plan to be where I am for less than a year, it would be a complete waste of time and money.

I'm just looking for something that can stand on it's own, be plugged straight into back of TV and has a booster. I've had a scout about on here and on the net of not really found anything.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Cheers!

2. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Whether you will find an indoor aerial which will improve matters is totally dependent upon how strong the signal is where you are, as indoor aerials are notoriously unreliable. You have not explained what sort of aerial you are using at the moment to get partial reception, that might give a clue, as would some idea (not exact) of your location.

Just to clarify the terminology before you get too far, the thing on the roof is an aerial, and "antenna" is just another word (usually American) for the same thing. What could be fitted to connect from the aerial to your TV is a coax cable.

Fitting an extra cable to the aerial would need to be done properly as you cannot just connect two cables to one aerial, and using a non-powered splitter is not a good idea as it would reduce the signal to the TV(s) on the other cable. Some kind of distribution amplifier at, or near, the aerial is usually needed.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  3. Michael045

Michael045
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah okay, cheers for the heads up on the correct terminology, I haven't got a clue in all honesty.

I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, Walkerville to be exact and I'm currently using an SLX Gold Digitop amplified indoor TV Freeview aerial. It has worked before and got most of the channels, but some of them were scrambled and unwatchable, now I can't even get BBC 1 or 2?? It's doing my head in.

Granted, the aerial I have was just a cheap one and I'd be willing to spend a bit more cash on a more reliable one, if there's one out there. Probs looking at a max spend of about £40?

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    Sadly you can spend as much as you like on a indoor aerial and unless you are in an extremely good reception area they will all perform, or not, pretty much the`same. Amplified aerials are seldom much better. Its all down to how close you are to the transmitter and whether you can point the aerial directly at it, via a window. If the transmitter is on the other side of the house you are unlikely to get good reception.

You might try the method suggested for splitting the existing rooftop aerial, or perhaps installing a temporary one in the loft which might perform better than the set-top one.

I'm assuming you done a re-tune on your TV if you've moved to a completely new area.

5. Michael045

Michael045
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea I did, I done an auto tune. This might sound daft but is there a website to find out where the nearest transmitter is and where it is compared to where I live, just to get an idea. There seems to be websites for everything these days ha.

The splitter thing would be okay but I ain't got a clue what to do and really want to start fiddling around with anything I'm unsure of

6. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I have done a bit of checking using a random postcode in your area (in Holme Avenue) and it could be that you are getting signals from two transmitters, Pontop Pike and Fenham. As the low powered Fenham has its transmitters mainly in the lower part of the TV band (UHF channels 22-32 - 57 is the exception) and Pontop Pike is 48-65, it could be that your box/TV is finding Fenham first and locking on to it.

If you look at the box and see if you have duplicate programme numbers in the 800s that would confirm whether that is happening, and you would be able to see if those duplicates were giving better results. If that were the case, you might be able to manage with your present aerial and with a manual tune to the Pontop Pike transmitter.

No guarantees, mind you, but the postcode checker showed a possibility of similar signal levels between the two, with Fenham being just the weaker.

7. Michael045

Michael045
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some clever sh*t that, cheers for checking. Yea Holme Ave is just round the corner from where I live.

When you say 'the box', do you mean the freeview box, just the channels are built into into TV so there isn't one.

8. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Sorry. Yes, for "box" read "TV".

9. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    Postcode Checker - Trade View is a prediction from the website you need for the local sub Post Office... click on 'change address' on trhs to enter your own.

Fenham needs the cross-rods on an aerial to be vertical rather than the normal horizontal for Pontop Pike.

In your situation I'd tune the TV in using the main aerial and then try a set-top aerial (if you must) back in your room. Modern building materials are effective at stopping radio/tv signals as well as keeping homes warm. If your room is on the 'wrong side' of the building to the transmitter it will result in much weaker signals.

Splitting the existing aerial or trying a loft aerial (if you have access to the loft) for your set would be a better way to spend the money. Worth reading with hints on 'how to' and why are:
    TV Amplifiers Boosters and Television Aerial Boosters / Amplifiers, Splitters, Diplexers & Triplexers

Both sites have a wealth of information. Take your time to read some, digest a bit and read some more. It is worth it!

EDIT: BTW this predictor does not give any indication of signal levels at the location... except that they must be above a minimum level. Rather they show how likely the location is to suffer from interference from other transmitters. A directional aerial at 10m above the ground and outside is assumed.
    Another prediction tool (wolfbane) does give signal levels but is - in my experience - rather inaccurate (verging on grossly inaccurate).

10. Michael045

Michael045
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's some really useful information guys, thanks very much for all this. I'll go away and see what I can conjure up.

Much appreciated

11. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,863
    I believe all the houses in that area use Pontop Pike preferentially.

12. A1944

A1944

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Looking with Streetview seems to confirm that.

13. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,863
    Agree.

I know that area is critical as it is on a slope leading down into the steep Tyne valley and the deeper one goes, Pontop becomes more obscured by the opposite bank.

So it may depend just how deep in the valley the OP actually is.