Recommend me an amp for MK S150 7.2 setup

ab1385

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me build a shortlist for some amps for 7.2 setup: MK Sound MP150s x3, MK S150T x2, M4T x2 and 2 DIY 15" 1500w each sealed subwoofers. This is in a dedicated room.

Im looking second hand and a few years old for now, I've always thought you get hugely better value that way. I will ultimately move to Atmos and DTS:X, which I have wired for, but probably not for a few years yet.

I have a few specific requirements.

Firstly, obviously, it needs to be stable with 4 Ohm loads. I guess really this generally means, for it to be rated for 4 Ohms, it's likely to be THX certified.

Secondly, I'd like it to be networked and IP controllable if possible, Airplay would be a bonus - but it may be easier to get a separate airplay receiver.

Thirdly, it has to be modern enough to do all the HD codecs, which obviously it would be if it were new enough to be network enabled.

Finally, and perhaps most awkwardly, the cupboard this will go in will be max 47cm deep, including for the cabling behind the amp. I can minimise this a bit with right angle power cables and so on, but I think really 44cm is an it the maximum depth I can manage. I haven't built the cupboard yet so maybe could manage an extra cm, but the space it's going in is limited. It will however be ventilated with some USB fans plugged into the amp.

No fixed price, but thinking £500ish second hand.

Only models I've really come up with are Pioneer LX83 (or newer if the price is OK, but I've heard the LX83 is one of the better sounding of the series and ticks all boxes except Airplay) or Onkyo 808, 818, 828, or 838. Not sure if the Denon/Marantz options are 4 Ohm rated, and don't really know anything about the Yamaha options. Any other options I should be considering?

Thanks!

Alex

I was going to suggest an Arcam P7 since that's what I use with exactly the same speakers (and DIY subs too) as you list, but then I saw you were really after an AVR.

Having run mine from an Onkyo 818 I would say that this might do as a stop gap (should be able to find one for around £300), but I didn't really like the sound of mine with it as IMHO the speakers sounded harsh and strained from it. I'm now using an ancient Arcam AV8 processor that doesn't even do HD decoding (only 'core' DTS) but I think it still sounds better than the 818 and that is using an old Denon 3805 as a 'power amp' while my P7 is being refurbished.

If you don't mind suffering a few quirks and bugs, have a look at the Nakamichi AV1 and matching power amp. I briefly had the pre amp and when used with my P7 it sounded good, but for me I found it bit 'flakey' and have various issues with it so I sent it back. It looks like they have been doing some upgrades on them though, so perhaps the newer ones are a bit better. I'm not sure regarding the size issues though, plus it then locks you into getting another processor once you upgrade to Atmos/DTS:X (my eventual plan).

Thanks that's useful information. I'd heard that before about the Onkyo.

Reading around, most previous 'higher end' amps should be able to deal with 4 Ohm speakers, even if their specs don't say so. The fact that you're successfully using a 3805 as a power amp is reassuring to that end as well - out of interest did you try that as a processor as well at any stage?

I didn't try the 3805 as a processor; it was meant to be a temporary set up as I wanted to make sure the AV8 worked correctly and to get it all set up, levels, distances, etc. The P7 has taken a bit longer to get sorted, so I've just left it set up that way so I can just swap the 3805 with the P7 when it comes back. I wanted to set up my remote (my gear is in a separate rack) so it's easier just to leave it this way.

It was lucky, the 3805 was nearly dumped about a week before the P7 went wrong...it pays to have a back up. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom