• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Question Recommend me a wifi extender or how to extend my home network?

Scoobster

Novice Member
Hello

I am new to these forums but have read some of the stickies and done some general mooching around.

I have at home:

• BT Infinity Fibre to the Premises
  • TP Link W9980 Router
I have sitting spare the BT Home Hub 5 which was a disappointment and was replaced due to being slow and the range not being good enough. My family members are still complaining that they cannot get wifi upstairs particularly in the loft even with the TP Link and when I am upstairs on the 2nd floor the coverage is also sometimes poor.

I was hoping the router would have helped somewhat. It has made an improvement though by how much im not sure...

I wondered if it was worth buying a new router/extender like the Netgear Nighthawk 7000 which seems to act as an extender or if this was worth it?? Of if there is a better solution to get an extension of wifi??

I dont want to use Powerline Adapters as I have heard they reduce the speed.

I would like to maintain speed and can consider using the HH5 but this would seem pointless.

Be grateful for any good products or ideas or in fact suggestions as to whether the solution is correct?

We have apple laptops, tablets, phones, xbox and tv streaming connected to the network.

The TP Link router cannot be moved due to the BT modem being in the same room.

Thank You

MacrosTheBlack

The TP Link Router can be moved to any location you are prepared to run Cat5e cable and power for it. So that may help you find a more balanced area to improve connection to your devices.

Other options are run Cat5e to devices that can be hard wired and use a gigabit switch/s if needed to give more ports to different areas or if you need better wifi signals than again run Cat5e to another area of the house and put in a wifi access point.

There are no correct solutions, you need to decide what's the best option for your house and internet devices based on their locations, wired or wifi options and your budget. Homeplugs can be useful if you don't have routes to run cables and don't want to start drilling through walls and ceilings etc.

Scoobster

Novice Member
Hello

I am not inclined to drill holes and run cables through the walls and taking cabling up 3 floors is not ideal.

I would like to have some form of 'access point' and keep things wireless for the rest of the mobile devices when upstairs such as Tablets, Phones etc.

Is there a good wireless access point product that can be used to extend my existing network or would I have to just set up a new router?

cjed

If you don't want to run cables or use Powerline adapters then you're limited to using a Wireless Extender (sometimes called a Wireless Repeater) - and although that might improve the WiFi signal strength on your higher floors, it will certainly reduce the overall WiFi performance of your system.

The "best" solution is to run a Cat 5e ethernet cable from your existing router to the top of the house and install a WiFi Access point there. Second best is to use a pair of Powerline Adapters to install a WiFi Access point at the top of the house.

The latest Powerline units (1200 Mbps) should be able to handle the full bandwidth of your internet connection (unless you have very old/noisy mains wiring).

Scoobster

Novice Member
I have been giving this some thought and I guess the best solution as you say woild be to run a cable and install an access point.. something like the Ubiquity Networks Long Range access point.

Can I not just put 2 routers together?? One upstairs? Would this degrade performance?

grunviz

Powerline adapters have always been great for me. I use devolo 1200 adapters and while you get nowhere near that speed they are still good. Typing now, using a BT Homehub 5>ethernet switch>into Develo plug and then back out in next room from my 100 year old house I am still reading over 70meg internet speed. I have then bought a develo wifi extender, which picks up the broadband and then extends the wifi, you can even copy your existing wifi. Works well for me.

MacrosTheBlack

I have been giving this some thought and I guess the best solution as you say woild be to run a cable and install an access point.. something like the Ubiquity Networks Long Range access point.

Can I not just put 2 routers together?? One upstairs? Would this degrade performance?
No putting 2 wifi routers together is going to weaken your wifi not improve it as even on separate channels they will still interfere with each other. The whole point is you need one at a better location in the house so you have more wifi coverage.

drummerjohn

Yes you can. Disable DHCP on the HH5 and choose a different channel, use teh same SSID if you wish. If possible keep the two routers as far apart as possible ie one in loft and one on ground floor.

Ideally of course it would be best to use one router and put in a central position in the house if it provides reasonable coverage.

Scoobster

Novice Member
Powerline adapters have always been great for me. I use devolo 1200 adapters and while you get nowhere near that speed they are still good. Typing now, using a BT Homehub 5>ethernet switch>into Develo plug and then back out in next room from my 100 year old .

Would i need a switch for this?

So my router is downstairs next to the Open Reach Modem.. I may be able to run the cable through the the wall to move the router to the downstairs landing but I still don't think this will give me good enough coverage.

So if I use a Powerline adapter for example, will I need a similar setup.. like a switch??

Just trying to get my head around what the switch is for...

grunviz

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse. I was basically trying to make the point that even through an additional stage you can get decent speed, I don't think you would need a switch. You should be able to go from your router into a powerline, then stick another, say like the wifi extender, closer to were you need the signal. In theory you could add more extenders if one was not enough. I think you can get a Devolo dLAN 1200+ Wi-Fi AC Powerline Starter Kit, might be worth looking at. Another thing to think about anyway. Don't forget though, it won't necessarily work if on different ring mains.

RajP

Distinguished Member
Just to add my view. I have a HH5 and found that it's wifi in various parts of the house was pretty poor. Just purchased a Ubiquity's Unifi AP and wow. It makes a hell of a difference. Took couple of mins to install and now have excellent coverage in the house.

And you can have multiple of these and they all act as a single network with auto handover. Have turned the HH5's WIFI off. Worth considering.

Scoobster

Novice Member
Just purchased a Ubiquity's Unifi AP and wow. It makes a hell of a difference. Took couple of mins to install and now have excellent coverage in the house.

How are you finding the speed? I am thinking of buying one of these... but worried about the install.

Do you need to run a cable and hard wire the ethernet? before it can be AP?

RajP

Distinguished Member
How are you finding the speed? I am thinking of buying one of these... but worried about the install.

Do you need to run a cable and hard wire the ethernet? before it can be AP?
At present, I haven't installed it on to the ceiling in the hallway upstairs which is the central part of the house. I have just put the AP next to HH5. Speed wise, I am finding it a lot better then the HH5 and am getting 5 bar signal in all parts of the house. The other benefit is that I can create a Guest SSID for family/friends etc who are visiting and this does isolate them from the rest of the PC's & servers in the house.. to install this AP, all I did was to plug a Ethernet cable into the spare port in my router, connected the other end into the POe module that comes with the AP and then the other port on the POe into the AP. Simple as that.. pretty flexible install option..

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom