1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a wife-friendly speaker package...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BigAde, Jun 16, 2003.

1. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i.e. ones that are invisible... :rolleyes:

For anyone with a wife and toddler, you'll know the old argument well... "Why do we have to have all these speakers all over the lounge???!". "Because they sound great" somehow never cuts the mustard, apparently they should be heard and not seen. I've now finally agreed to investigate the alternatives...

My main speakers are my beloved Ruark Crusaders. My centre, sub and rears are far more low-end, being a Paradigm CC-150, MJA Pro 50 and Yamaha NSE-105's. I use them for both hi-fi and home-cinema uses. But all-in-all, they integrate well in my room and I'm very happy with the sound, so I'm dreading having to make any change. There will be tears if/when the Ruarks have to go. :(

I know this is a difficult question to answer, but given a reasonable budget of say £2000 ish, what are my options? Ideally the main/centre/rear speakers would be flatish and wall-mountable (like the Mission/Denon NXTs) with room for a reasonably sized sub. I don't mind second-hand, or even DIY kits, but they MUST MUST MUST sound good for both home-cinema and more standard hi-fi.

Is it possible to get a speaker package which is both small/discrete and sounds great to boot? I've heard some sub-sat systems and they just sound thin and un-musical. Or am I embarking on Mission Impossible?

2. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife gave a thumbs up to the Proac hexa's, come with wall mounting brackets as standard. Speakers look really good - it reminds me of my sailing days as they use marine ply for the sides of the cabinets.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There's two ways to handle this. If your wife likes her music take her and her favourite CD and go demo some Bose speakers which may put her off the idea.

If that doesn't work you will have to hastily backtrack and look at something else. Try looking at Gallo, both Micro and A'Diva or Definitive Technology Pro Cinema sats, both of which work well with music as well as films.

4. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Cheers gazzerr, but never heard of them!
    Thanks tho' will check it out. First glance on the web doesn't reveal much information, except that they're rather insensitive.

Where did you get yours?

5. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks Ian...
    Never been overly keen on the look of the Gallos, but will have another look. (I must consider everything at this stage... Got lots of research to do...)
    I won't buy until we've moved house anyway, which fingers-crossed should be 4-6 weeks away.

6. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There a new product. I got mine from Unilet in New Malden but they had to get a demo set in from Proac. They are definitely worth a listen and look very discreet although the wife said they look good so she doesn't mind if they are on show!

7. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I heard a demo of the Proac-Hexa system at Sevenoaks Birmingham. It was all very dynamic sounding but the dialogue during certain parts of Saving Private Ryan was very muffled. I went home and replayed the same scenes on my Kef Eggs and found them to be much clearer. That upset me a bit because I liked the look of the Hexa's.

I can't help thinking that the Hexa's clarity problem was due them not being run in properly because they had only been in the shop a couple of days. A Tag processor was used for the demo so I couldn't put its shortcomings down to that!!

Do the Hexa owners out there feel that another demo might be in order?

Gazzer - did you not fancy the Hexa Sub?

regards

Megson

8. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may well be worth considering M&K's 'K' series. Possibly the K-7 for the front three and the K-4 Tripole for the rear, these are all quite small and can be mounted flush to a wall. They are also available in white, which will help them disappear.

I'm not too sure about the subwoofer that comes with this range, but you could always upgrade that for something beefier, depending on the size of your room/wallet. :laugh:

Check them out here...

Good luck whatever you choose

SMP

9. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  10. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Guys - thanks a million for all the suggestions - very much appreciated. I will check all these out...

I remember demoing some sort of flatish speakers from Boston a while back - they seemed to sound good to me at the time, although I was really there to demo a sub - anyone got any experiences of Boston speakers?

11. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I had the exact same problem recently (although the main issue was with the kids destroying my speakers!). I ended up with the following:

5 x B&W VM1's
    1 x B&W ASW675 sub.

They have passed all tests. Look great (even my wife really likes them), up on the wall so no child interferance and sound fantstic

12. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You're right, the VM1s must be on the shortlist too.

I've heard them once and must admit that they sounded pretty good for AV. Wasn't so convinced for hi-fi stereo use, although I guess it's not fair to be comparing £250/pair fronts with £1600/pair fronts (my Ruark Crusaders).

Maybe I could have the VM1s as centre/surround speakers and have something a bit better for the mains??? (One to think about that). Was reading a bit on subs in these forums and there seems to be a lot of praise for the SVS PC Plus range (at approx £750 imported). Anyone know what these are like for use with music? Or am I better steered towards REL territory?

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ask Ian regarding Rel v SVS (he's upgraded from a Storm, to Storm III now a 20-30 PC Plus)

I would try and use similar sounding front three- I upgraded from Kef Q range Left/Rights to Kef Reference Left/Rights to match my Kef Reference Model 200 centre. Quite a bit better on pans, and especially Music Logic DSP mode, sounds alot more seamless.

You could get standmount speakers and mount them high along the walls- would that be OK? Or you could look at in-wall speakers, checkout the Kef CI2000 (basically a Kef Model 200 centre)

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You should really try and use this opportunity to try and get a good a match as possible for the front three speakers.

I mix n match my fronts and rears as I use identical M&K speakers for the front three and a much cheaper pair of wall hanging Mission M7DS bipoles for the rears.

It worked for me and allowed me to allocate a much larger part of my budget to the three speakers than I listen to most.

15. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Quite agree Ian.
    Have been looking at the Ruark Vita package as well as the Jamo D6LCR package. Either of those could be quite good.

I'm thinking along the lines of Ruark Vita for front/centre/rears coupled with the likes of a SVS PC Plus 25-31 (thanks Ian!).

Hmmm... more to check out!