Recommend me a wide angle lens

drunkenmaster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hiya all,

I have a budget of around £300 and would like to know which wide angle lens would be ideal for my Canon 40d. Silly me I type in widescreen first!!!

Good price - Cheers for that any more suggestions would be great. BTW are the aCanon lenses to expensive?

This is my 1000th post-yippee I think!!

I used a Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom on my 10D which produced excellent results. Since then I have upgraded to the 5D and the 17-35 lens, but that is probably more than you want to spend.

I still have the 20-35mm lens, it is in good nick, no scratches, so if you are interested let me know.

I doubt you'd be dissapointed with the sigma 10-20, it's my favourite lens I own. Might be worth having a look at the Tokina 12-24 as well. If you could afford it I'd probably go with the canon 10-22 personally.

The Sigma is a popular lens here with a lot of users, but do consider both the Canon 10-22 and the Tokina (which betters the Sigma in thats it's a constant f/4)

I use the Sigma and have been happy with the image quality, it's nice and wide gives nice colour renditions, contrast and a good weight.

Some examples here, here, here and here

I'm to go against the grain a little here - IMo the Sigma has pretty poor corner perfomance and you'll notice that on an UWA. I'd spring for either the Canon 10-22mm or the Tokina.

I recall Ken Rockwell rated the Canon above all the 3rd party lenses. I have the Tokina 12-24 btw. Very good, built like a tank. It's prone to flare though, and (like most Tokinas apparently), has quite a lot of CA.

for your budget i'd get the sigma 10-20. however if you look hard you might be lucky and pick up a 2nd hand canon 10-22 for just over 300

The Sigma 10-20 has terrible quality control issues. Think it's OK if you get a good one.

Two of my friends have the 10-20.
The first one god a good one on the third attempt (Nikon mount)
The second one decided not to stay with Sigma after getting a second duff one (Sony mount).

FYI - See this thread....
http://www.dynaxdigital.com/index.php?topic=4353.0

and this one (for the response from Sigma)
http://www.dynaxdigital.com/index.php?topic=4405.0

The Sigma 10-20 is not a lens to buy online, unless there is exceptional customer service.

If you are going to buy the Sigm, I would buy from a local dealer so that you can keep popping back and avoid the postage costs.

I have the Tamron 11-18, which was my second lens afer taking the second one back for being too soft. Think the Sigma gets better reviews though.

If it was my money - I would save and want to get the Canon.

Another vote for the Sigma 10-20.

One other alternative is the Canon 10-22, but it is a bit more expensive and wont fit on larger frame cameras if you want to upgrade from your 40D

Another vote for the Sigma 10-20.

One other alternative is the Canon 10-22, but it is a bit more expensive and wont fit on larger frame cameras if you want to upgrade from your 40D

True, but neither will the Sigma, or the Tokina, or the Tamron.

Yeah but if you upgrade to a full frame then why not just sell the lens and buy a new one. Seems silly to buy something now based on what you may need should you ever upgrade to full frame.

If you can afford it I think the Canon 10-22 is undoubtedly the best UWA and it'll hold its value best aswell so if you buy 2nd hand and treat it well chances are you'll get most of your money back if you sell up.

I too have a 40D and needed a superwide lens. IMHO the best option by far is Canon's 10-22 lens, and I have ordered one.

I'd suggest you get a good used Canon 10-22 than a new one of the others. It will be far better.

Well happy with my sigma 10-20 on a 40D
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very happy with my Sigma 10-20, but I bought it from Jacobs Digital, due to the reviews on quality control. I have to say that my copy was really sharp from the first time, so no need to take it back, but I could if I wanted to. So, I opted to pay the extra £40 to get it from a reputable store in my area.

The Sigma works on full frame. I use it regularly on my film Canon EOS 1000FN. There is noticable vignetting at 10-11mm but I can use it at 12mm with no vignetting what-so-ever, but I don't use any filters though.

I print A1+ using this lens, and I must say, the results are outstanding!

Happy Tokina user here. £215 direct from Taipei, excellent value.

There is a bit of CA in high contrast areas, but this is easily fixable in PP. To be honest, I rarely use the lens in this kind of sitiuation, and i've never bothered trying to fix it.

There's nothing to stop you using it on a FF camera, as long as you don't mind big black circles around your photographs from about 19mm down
Virtually everythign in the last 6 months in this set has been using it.

Build quality is far superior to the Sigma IMO and the constant F4 is useful.

Happy Tokina user here. £215 direct from Taipei, excellent value.

There is a bit of CA in high contrast areas, but this is easily fixable in PP. To be honest, I rarely use the lens in this kind of sitiuation, and i've never bothered trying to fix it.

There's nothing to stop you using it on a FF camera, as long as you don't mind big black circles around your photographs from about 19mm down
Virtually everythign in the last 6 months in this set has been using it.

Build quality is far superior to the Sigma IMO and the constant F4 is useful.

I went for the Tokina as 24mm is quite a lot more usable as a walkaround length than 20mm (and the constant f4 is nice too :thumbsup:).

Im a happy sigma owner too.
Its pretty much a perm on my camera at the mo....Its really sharp and well built.

The constant aperture isn t really a problem IMo as im guessing you want this lens for landscape etc,which will mean using F8 and above anyway.

If you can afford it then the own brand canon is the way to go.....The sigma is a great alternative though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom