Recommend me a weed killer!

stoomc

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can someone please recommend a very good weed killer. It can be very strong as it is going to be nowhere near plants, flowers on animals. It is for all varieties of weeds that are growing up between stones that are near on impossible to pull out!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

sodium chlorate is a beast. i dont think you are supposed to use it but its miles better than roundup etc. its cheap too, from wilkos.

liamt said:
sodium chlorate is a beast. i dont think you are supposed to use it but its miles better than roundup etc. its cheap too, from wilkos.

Excellent thanks! Will look into it :)

im sure some people will say dont use it. it is nasty stuff for the environment but the only thing bar fire to beat back some weeds we used to get at the last house.

glad to help :)

Hi,

From my understanding, it's no longer legal for ordinary members of the public to use Sodium Chlorate in any form, without a licence. It's been outlawed since May 2010. (Technically it was outlawed a couple of years prior to that date, but stores could sell and the public could legally use any remaining stock of SC until May 2010.)

Sorry, folks. :(

Pooch

Good luck with Sodium Chlorate it is certainly the best but I doubt you'll find any as others have stated. Your best bet is eBay for some strong stuff, search for "Rosate 36"...the next best thing :)

Have fun!

What about a weed flame thrower thingy? Butane blowtorch on a long pole so you don't have to bend down. I got one with two bottles of gas for about 15 quid. You haven't got to set fire to the weeds but it basically destroys it down to the root by boiling the moisture inside it. The plant can't come back, and it's great fun to use!

Last edited:
shodan said:
What about a weed flame thrower thingy? Butane blowtorch on a long pole so you don't have to bend down. I got one with two bottles of gas for about 15 quid. You haven't got to set fire to the weeds but it basically destroys it down to the root by boiling the moisture inside it. The plant can't come back, and it's great fun to use!

I would like to look into this as well. Where did you get yours from?

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
stooshee said:
I would like to look into this as well. Where did you get yours from?

I think it was Wilkinson... Can't remember what it's called, but they are quite common now...

you need no wind though. father in law bought one and its useless even in a slight breeze.

Mines not, its great!!!

ive never had a problem with roundup it kills everything. i buy the concentrate not the pre mixed spray stuff

Just purchase some roundup and get a small pump sprayer and just spray lightly so that droplets form on the leaf of the weed. Wait 3 weeks and treat again if needed.
It will work on all but a few plants and will do the job.
Remember to pick a dry spell but not in the full heat of the sun if it's a really warm day.

NewfieDrool said:
Just purchase some roundup and get a small pump sprayer and just spray lightly so that droplets form on the leaf of the weed. Wait 3 weeks and treat again if needed.
It will work on all but a few plants and will do the job.
Remember to pick a dry spell but not in the full heat of the sun if it's a really warm day.

You see I did by round up (not the concentrated stuff- I couldn't only find it in spray bottle for some reason) and it didn't do a very good job, however, I think that is due to all of the rain we kept getting at the time!
So do you just add the concentrated stuff to water?

Thanks everyone for the help, it is much appreciated! :)

stooshee said:
You see I did by round up (not the concentrated stuff- I couldn't only find it in spray bottle for some reason) and it didn't do a very good job, however, I think that is due to all of the rain we kept getting at the time!
So do you just add the concentrated stuff to water?

Thanks everyone for the help, it is much appreciated! :)

Yes, follow the guide on the quantity. Half fill your spray bottle, add chemical then add more water to the correct level for the container.
The domestic stuff you need a good dry spell as it does not contain some of the extra chemicals found in the commercial grade Roundup. It's not rain fast and lacks the chemicals that aid intake to the plant so you need conditions just right to make it work at its best.
This also includes the growth pattern of the plant you are spraying.

If you are up against Mares Tail then you will need to bruise the plant first to aid the intake due to its resilience to chemical intake. Even then it's one of the few plants that can fight back against Roundup.

Last edited:
'Gallop 360' is essentially the exact same as Roundup (which has the name) but is a lot cheaper. 5 litres, £23 online and concentrated enough to do 4 hectares ;) Kills just about anything other than brambles and other woody plants, you will need 'grazon' for that

... or speak to a friendly farmer for the industrial hardcore version. ;)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ari33 said:
'Gallop 360' is essentially the exact same as Roundup (which has the name) but is a lot cheaper. 5 litres, £23 online and concentrated enough to do 4 hectares ;) Kills just about anything other than brambles and other woody plants, you will need 'grazon' for that

... or speak to a friendly farmer for the industrial hardcore version. ;)

Both of those are not for use for the general public and are aimed at the professional users who are certified. A home owner would require to be trained in order to use those products and hold the relative certificates.
Gallup will kill brambles and woody plants if used correctly at a correct dosage for the targeted plants and applied correctly or when used incorrectly in poor spraying conditions.

Last edited:
Both of those are not for use for the general public and are aimed at the professional users who are certified. A home owner would require to be trained in order to use those products and hold the relative certificates.
Gallup will kill brambles and woody plants if used correctly at a correct dosage for the targeted plants and applied correctly or when used incorrectly in poor spraying conditions.

The new regulation/directive that came out last month? I may be wrong but my understanding is that domestic users can still buy and use this product as long as you are aware of the legal responsibilities of using this product.

The blurb..

"GALLUP 360 IS A CONCENTRATED GLYPHOSATE WEED KILLER. IT IS USED FOR THE CONTROL OF GRASSES AND WEEDS IN AMENITY, INDUSTRIAL, FORESTRY AND AQUATIC AREAS. IT BIO-DEGRADES IN THE SOIL INTO NATURAL SUBSTANCES. NB: There are legal responsibilities on both the seller and buyer/user of professional strength weed killers such as Gallup 360. These responsibilities are covered by The Food and Environment Protection Act 1985 (FEPA) and Control of Pesticide Regulations 1986 (COPR). Details of these regulations can be found at: CRD | Pesticides Legislation | FEPA and COPR Please ensure you read and understand these regulations before you buy this product.

Please note: professional pesticide products must be applied in accordance with the Ministry Code for Plant Protection Products, more information can be found here by clicking here or by speaking to one of our advisors on 0800 411 8141."

I hope someone can clarify this as I want to be able to legally use the 5 litre carton I bought before this new directive came out last month. :/

Ari33 said:
The new regulation/directive that came out last month? I may be wrong but my understanding is that domestic users can still buy and use this product as long as you are aware of the legal responsibilities of using this product.

The blurb..

"GALLUP 360 IS A CONCENTRATED GLYPHOSATE WEED KILLER. IT IS USED FOR THE CONTROL OF GRASSES AND WEEDS IN AMENITY, INDUSTRIAL, FORESTRY AND AQUATIC AREAS. IT BIO-DEGRADES IN THE SOIL INTO NATURAL SUBSTANCES. NB: There are legal responsibilities on both the seller and buyer/user of professional strength weed killers such as Gallup 360. These responsibilities are covered by The Food and Environment Protection Act 1985 (FEPA) and Control of Pesticide Regulations 1986 (COPR). Details of these regulations can be found at: CRD | Pesticides Legislation | FEPA and COPR Please ensure you read and understand these regulations before you buy this product.

Please note: professional pesticide products must be applied in accordance with the Ministry Code for Plant Protection Products, more information can be found here by clicking here or by speaking to one of our advisors on 0800 411 8141."

I hope someone can clarify this as I want to be able to legally use the 5 litre carton I bought before this new directive came out last month. :/

You are wrong. You must be certified to use these products regardless of where you use it or who you are apart from a clauses with reference to birth dates known as grandfather rights but this is about to change and many have already under gone training due to insurance problems.

http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/guidance/industries/pesticides/user-areas/garden-home

It's not just about use but storage too so yes you can purchase the products but it then becomes a problem.

Even before the new regs you still needed to be trained in its use.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom