Recommend me a speaker setup (room diagram inside)

harley85

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Bagged me half of our new loft conversion to make my own. I have a newly purchased AWOL projector and 120 Vividstorm ready to go and am figuring out whats my best options for audio.

Likely to be a Ikea Besta or similar with bookshelves for LCR but i would like to go 5.1 or better but with sofa on back wall my options are limited.

Other problem is i have space for 1 surround on the right wall by the doors but then nowhere for the left :(

Best idea i have come up with is bi/di poles on the back wall for surrounds and no rears...

Atmos - Unlikely to get WAF for ceilings but front heights is a possibility but is it worth it with 7ft ceilings?

Looking for some ideas or inspiration and advice of what you would do given my limitations?

Fresh slate, no speakers purchased at this point.
Capture.JPG

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Is there space at the front right for bookshelf speakers with stands or slim floorstanders possibly in front of the screen slightly as your floorplan looks so tight at front? Which of those front mains you would prefer or open for anything?

I googled the Vividstorm projector screen and i got few different ones. I assume it`s a screen that is placed on floor or on top of something for the UST projector? Just considering center channel placement. If you have those in place there then picture would be great to see, you can delete it later by editing message.

Some kind of max budget for the avr, 5 speakers and subwoofer so members can help you better.

Is there space at the front right for bookshelf speakers with stands or slim floorstanders possibly in front of the screen slightly as your floorplan looks so tight at front? Which of those front mains you would prefer or open for anything?

I googled the Vividstorm projector screen and i got few different ones. I assume it`s a screen that is placed on floor or on top of something for the UST projector? Just considering center channel placement. If you have those in place there then picture would be great to see, you can delete it later by editing message.

Some kind of max budget for the avr, 5 speakers and subwoofer so members can help you better.
Alothough i dont have the cabinet yet, i think ill have space for floorstanding but think ill play it safe and go bookshelf. Ill need to work with the cabinet to get centre in location.

My main issue is can i run 5.1? Using the wall behind sofa to surrounds? Or would it not work . Ive heard bipole might be better to avoid hotspotting.

Also wtih only 7 ft ceiling im wondering if atoms with front height would be any good?

Yes you can have 5.1 system or 5.1.2, but the surround speakers would then be lower and close to listeners. Dolby recommends for under 8feet ceilings their dolby enabled upfiring aka bounce type speakers which are placed on top of your mains. You just need; For optimal performance, the ceiling should be flat (not angled or vaulted) and made of an acoustically reflective material (drywall, plaster, hardwood, or another rigid, non---sound-absorbing material).

However the front heights are option still although if you have tight budget please don´t try to get everything right away. One high WAF option for ceiling atmos would be Kef T101 in white ultraslim. The picture below has probably the taller T301. But anyway just to give you some idea if you still think it would be ok. If you search there is lot of folks who still have ceiling speakers with 7feet ceiling.

1640264261719-png.1623981

5.1 Monitor Audio FX bipole speakers placed slightly higher on rear wall:

6e3fd4ec-27a2-4050-93db-4ff88e69090c-jpeg.1726883

And 5.2.4 with FXs on ear level and height channels at front and rear walls by @Jester1066

20211104_185001-jpg.1726949

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom