Recommend me a speaker package, ideally 2 tall boys and 2 smaller corner speakers.

Ivor_Biggern

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have to admit that i am fairly clueless in this area, i`m just after getting some impact into the room sound wise for things like sport and films.

My budget is around £500 ish for speakers and around £500 for an amp, i know some of you are spending thousands in this area but i couldn`t justify that for what i would want them for, i would like 2 tall boy type speakers close to the tv ideally in silver or titanium and 2 smaller speakers for the corner of the room.

Ive been looking at Audica and Kef so far for speakers and for an amp ive been looking at Onkyo as they seem to be a good budget amp, any suggestions for either would be great and if poss some links, ideally i would like the amp to have HDMI in and at least one HDMI out. i`m just basically after creating a cinema surround set up and to get the best sound i can for my budget.

Any help is appreciated, remember i`m new to this area so any fancy technical jargon would be wasted on me :D

Hi,

£500 for an amp is reasonable and will get you a decent Onkyo/Sony try Richer sounds.

For the speakers,You might be better off getting a 5.1 package ready assembled from the same manufacturer. try Superfi here;
Speaker Packages at Superfi Online - http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/category.cfm/Category/85

The wharfedale package is good value.

If you want Floorstanders for the front,then Superfi,again have reasonable prices.You will need a Centre speaker as that does the majority of the work at the front.For tonal matching,you'd be best advised to get all three from the same manufacturer.

Getting those three is the priority.depending on the Bass abilities of the front two,you may or may not need a Subwoofer.

Have a look at Superfi and Richer sounds,see what you fancy and then try and audition them either at a shop or a mates house.

Good Luck,

K.

How about these as main speakers, would i need a sub woofer with them or a central speaker ? Ideally i wanted silver or titanium coloured speakers but if the sound is better from something else and they look ok i don`t mind building slowly starting with main speakers and then building around them. I was thinking of getting the Denon AV1910 amp to use with which ever speakers i decide on.

Monitor Audio RS6 - Floor Standing Speakers, HiFi Audio Home Cinema

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with monitor audio, I'm listening to some right now. You can always start with stereo then add extras later. You could get some rs1 speakers for your rears as the next step, then add from there if you felt necessary.
Centre speaker isn't necessary as the am will split the centre speaker dialogue etc through the 2 front speakers and it will still sound good.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Does anyone know much about Audica speakers like the ones below ?

Audica CS System 3 5.1 home cinema pack

I use this:

http://www.audica.co.uk/mps-1.html

as an ipod dock and the sound is very good (for an ipod dock). However, it does distort at higher volumes. Probably due to the lack of a sub etc...

Personally, I wouldn't buy Audica for a full setup based on my experience alone - but I can't really comment on the system you suggest - it may be very good with extra speakers and the sub.

The MA RS6 would be much nicer, plus aren't they going cheap in places at the moment due to the new range coming out? :)

Ive decided to save up a little bit more for the Denon 2310 amp and i`ll get the RS8 speakers with them, i had a feeling this would happen because with home cinema equipment your budget will never be enough regardless of what you set as your max :D

Ive decided to save up a little bit more for the Denon 2310 amp and i`ll get the RS8 speakers with them, i had a feeling this would happen because with home cinema equipment your budget will never be enough regardless of what you set as your max :D

Ha ha. Great. I'm looking to buy a stereo system at the moment and my budget keeps increasing notch by notch.

The RS8s are lovely spekers. I heard them recently when demoing the stereo I want. Really great sound (far superior to the Audicas). Hope you enjoy them. :D

It's called gadget creep. The more research you do, the more money you end up spending!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom