1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend Me A Router

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Tim Cooper, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi all,
    Got my 10mb broadband today :smashin: however i need to upgrade my router (D-Link DI804) apparently this router only has a 10mb WAN i need at least 100mb.
    Who can recommend me a decent router (with/without wireless) bearing i mind i have recently re-wired my house & i installed cat 5 as i was going, would it be worthwhile installing a gigabit network???????
    Cheers.
    Tim.

2. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Are you sure - 100Mb WAN? I think you mean LAN, because 100Mb broadband isn't available. According to this link, it supports 100Mb (100 base-t) on the LAN:

http://www.dlink.com.au/products/routers/di804/

I can't think of many home applications would need a gigabit lan, but I could be wrong.

Mike.

3. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    DLink DI-784 (Media Center Approved)

Best router you can get, support Dual Band Wireless A/B/G

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    personally, I'd completely ignore the last reply.........

and go with the first one :)

What cabling did you install? how long are your cable runs?
    If you installed Cat5e you'll be fine with gigabit networking, if you installed plain Cat5 and have long cable runs, I'd stick to 100Mb.

More than fast enough for most needs anyway, usually.. :)

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    There is one on ebay. refurbished, but half the normal retail price, I just bought one, but one left..

6. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Mike,
    The reason you have 100mb on the WAN side AFAIK is the extra overhead it gives you, my existing router has 100mb on the LAN side only (10mb on the WAN) & I'm only getting 4mb download speed.

Thanks for the input chaps i've been out of the networking loop for a while so i'm not up to date on the hardware.
    Keep em coming :smashin:
    Cheers.
    Tim.

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    What router are you using at the moment?

as an example, a highly regarded 10Mb router, the Netgear RP614 will get you just under 7mb WAN actual throughput.. so yours seems well down on speed certainly..

The only 100Mb WAN router I can personally recommend is a Cisco 1700 series.. but probably not what you're looking for :D

I'd give Toms networking a try, they must be reviewing home level 100Mb WAN routers by now, not sure how many are actually in existence though..

8. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I have to say, I'm in I.T support, and and ex-colleague & good friend of mine recommended Netgear.

Great quality & ease of setup. Done many Netgear installs, all trouble-free.

My personal advice is steer clear of 3COM, their proprietary s/ware is a pain.

Never used D-Link, friend has one (wired router) and no problems.

Friend who recommended Netgear provides business infrastucture consultancy and I.T Management, with a very technical background of about 20 yrs

I trusted his opinion and never looked back.

Hope this helps.

Dan.

9. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    If you are gonna upgrade a router then look at your ISP. Im assuming its Telewest as they have just upgraded (and are still doing so) many people to 10meg for free.

If you are Telewest then you may want to get a 100meg WAN router and make it a mission to ensure you do. Telewest are going to be offering 100meg to the door by q3/q4 of next year. So far, Telewest in my experience have always excelled at meeting networking deadlines they impose on themselves (including the 10meg upgrade! Hayes had it before it was scheduled) and I would expect the 100meg to be in place around the middle of next year to the end of Q3.

If you are ADSL and just changing up to 10meg, think about getting a 24meg WAN capable (soo 100 again!) as 24meg is rapidly becoming the new "standard" for DSL technology.

Best of luck!

*Note in the above, I am not talking about individual customer service/complaints, which with most companies, sucks :D

*edit: Will 100meg lan stream 1080p? Just curious :)

10. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yeah, a 10 meg ethernet line will not perform at 10meg.... ever. I believe (and i've been out of the loop for a while too) that a 10meg ethernet line will top out at around 50-60% network utilization. (10meg line from modem to router)

Likewise, with regards to telewest 100meg, does this mean we will all need gigabit wan side routers in a year to use it properly?

11. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks for the info chaps.
    Done some research & the linksys BEFSX41 & the WRT54G seem to have good write up's.
    With regards to gigabit networks yes i wish to stream hi-def from a central server (eventually) so if i was going to upgrade why not gigabit.
    I've learnt in the computer world never say never ;) so would a 100mb LAN be sufficient to stream hi-def to multiple computers????

Dude:
    RE The cable runs, well within cat 5 specs i would guess 50m to the longest run.
    My existing router is a D-Link DI804 which def' has only a 10mb WAN.

Monty:
    Yep Telewest (blueyonder) been with em from the start, truly excellent service & yes i heard about the 100mb service next year as well with that in mind would it be safer to go with a gigabit router now? I don't want to have to go thru this scenario again next year although i can't seem to find a router with a gigabit WAN.

Cheers.
    Tim.

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Anything more than just a few m and you'll more than likely need Cat5e for gigabit networking..

100Mb should be fine for streaming one or two HD feeds, but anything more than that and you'd want gigabit..

HD video runs at about 20-25mbps I think..best checking around though as Im not 100%.on the numbers

13. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Hey Tim,

well I don't honestly know. It would seem to me that 1gig WAN side routers are few and far between. A CISCO friend of mine when I mentioned this to him started sprouting models at me but said they were all firmly aimed at corporates so would not be cheap.

With the explosion of "Faster than 10meg" internet connections happening, I would imagine 1gig WAN network routers will start to appear proper in the next 6 months. I can imagine a big market (although big enough to finance design of a new router?) in 1gig WAN side home gear starting to appear soon.

Is it worth waiting to upgrade or to upgrade to a proper Cisco router now to future proof? Dunno .... honestly. Thats like saying should I buy a new dual core AMD now or wait and get it slightly cheaper in 6 months but then newer faster models will be out! Age old problem of Computers .... soon as its out, its old tech. :confused: Also, how many of us can program a proper Cisco router ... and I aint talking Linksys here! :D

*edit* I can recommend the Linksys router, its what I use and is excellent. It is however only 10 meg WAN side, I believe there is a more expensive SRX(?) version that supports 100meg WAN side. Whilst this will be fine for ADSL2, it won't for you in 10 months time! :D

14. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Monty,
    According to Lnksys the WRT54G & the BEFSX41 are both 100mb enabled, unless i'm missing something.
    I may go for the BEFSX41 as i don't need the wireless function on the router, it would be easier to put in a wireless access point on my house network later (when i buy the Mrs a lappy)
    Cheers.
    Tim.

15. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I can!! :eek:

Pasword:
    Router>
    Router> enable
    Password:

Now what was that damn password again..................

D.

16. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266

17. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    What's wrong with the D-Link???...it's fully Xbox Live and media center compatible, it's the only router to have passed both certifications...and is wirless A compatible, it is superior to any router available..only thing it lacks is Gigabit ethernt ports...

18. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    How is it "superior to any router available"?
    Thats like me saying my keyboard is superior to any other keyboard. It might well be a good router (i have no idea personally), but ill bet a months wages on there being a better one out there.

19. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    that is fully xbox live and media center compatible?...were not looking into high end gigabit businnes routers, or any other cisco stuff, personnaly that cisco certified thing is a joke...if it's xbox live certified then it works...that's all i care about...

20. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237

21. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Out of curiousity, I have 8Mbps ADSL broadband, and get about 6Mbps in speed tests. Is my router limiting the bandwidth, or is 8Mbps just a maximum theoretical value?

Secondly, I assume I have now reached the limit for my router, and will need a new one that supports ADSL2, if my ISP were to offer 24Mbps (24Mbps WAN-side). Am I correct?

Cheers.

22. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I agree, enterprise class gear is rather pointless for a home user, but theres an awfull lot of routers that work perfectly fine with Xbox Live and MCE. As far as i know, they only test compatability with "certain" hardware for "ease of setup" etc, which means nothing really. Its not a proper certification process. There are of course routers that dont work for various reasons though, but that doesnt mean a router that does work is special in anyway.

23. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    It's not even the best-spec Dlink router available... and it's certainly nowhere near the top of the pile purely down to the Dlink brand alone.. :D

have a look at the DGL-4300 if you like Dlink stuff... far better I'd imagine.

Point of note for anybody interested:

Wireless 'A' is almost useless in the home envirinment... 5.8Ghz radio does not pass through walls very well at all... not even in the same league as 2.4Ghz where object penetration is concerned.. :lesson:

24. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    ooerrr :rotfl:

25. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266

26. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
  27. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
  28. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    eh? How was it uncalled for? I thought it may clear up some of the confusion.

29. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I think your the one confused, maybe if you read the previous posts you might get a clue into the problem...

30. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have tried many sub £100 routers, and had many p2p problems, with slowdowns and fall-overs.. as have a lot of friends..

We all seem to have settled on Draytek routers, which seem semi-corporate, cheap enough (circa £120) for home use, but since a lot of companies use these for site to site VPN, you know they are stable..

www.draytek.co.uk

there is some talk on the Forums of the 10Mbps services on the 2900, and since it has a 100mb WAN Port, it should be fine, someone quoted 60Mpbs as their maximum..

If you want flawless pnp functionality/QoS and a good Firewall feature set, I think the extra money is well worth it..