Question Recommend me a router

terencejames

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Long story short - recently upgraded my Plusnet router to a TP Link AC2100 VR600. Worked OK for a couple of weeks but now I'm dropping connection all over the place and the wifi drops off with certain devices constantly. I added an AC750 mesh extender but that doesn't work particularly well either. So I'm £150 in the hole with no real improvement. With my kids currently working from home I could really do with a reliable router. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.

That router should be fine (it was for a whole) so maybe something is wrong with it? Is it dropping wifi to all devices or specific? Have you added QOS? Is it dropping the connection? What is the connection? XDSL or via the LAN (fibre)?

Have you changed wifi channels on either band? Are they on auto? Does it drop both 2.4 and 5GHz devices at the same time?

after a couple of eeeks I wouldn’t be looking for a new modem/router personally.

So the wi-fi drops wherever you are in the house but the internet connection is presumably fine? i.e. an Ethernet connected device doesn't have any hiccoughs?

It's unlikely you've got two faulty routers so I'd be looking at other culprits causing interference in the house and nearby.

Thanks for the replies.
The internet seems to drop off intermittently throughout the day, even when using powerlines and ethernet. I've repositioned the mesh extender and added QOS. I'd need to do a bit more investigation into wifi channels though.

If it's happening using ethernet connected devices as well then the problem isn't with your wi-fi kit but something that affects both.

If we rule out the router for now as you've tried a couple and assume you're not using an external modem then the only thing left on your side of the connection would be faceplate/filters/external modem/phone extensions etc. What sort of setup do you have? Do you have a test socket? Does the same thing happen with the router plugged into the test socket?

I think I'm plugged in to the test socket. (Is that behind the faceplate?). I'm not entirely au fait with networking so it's a bit of a learning curve for me. Realistically, how many wireless devices should a router be able to handle?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom