Recommend me a router

gex23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So i've spent the last two weeks looking at routers and seemingly getting nowhere with regards settling on and ordering one - i'm not well versed in this technology, but I do know that I want to upgrade on the Virgin superhub 3.0 - for no particular reason other than I want to 🤔😂 and dabble with VPN.

Now I thought there must be people on here far more knowledgeable than me who will be able to steer me in the right direction and maybe choose a router.

My current set up is Virgim Media broadband (200 MBPS) and Sky Q TV. I watch a lot of 4k content streamed via Apple TV+, Netflix, Disney and Sky and usually have multiple devices running / connected at the same time - nothing WIFI-6 currently but am looking to add a PS5 and Xbox Series X in the near future. I also stream HD Music via Amazon HD for what it's worth.

I've maxed out the ethernet connections, with my Denon receiver, thermostat smart hub and Sky Q all using wired connection, with the rest being Wifi.

I don't want to spend mega money, but looking at up to £150 - if anyone can suggest or point me in the right direction that would be great!🙌🏻

I like a US based web site called SmallNetBuilder. He reviews a decent amount of SOHO kit and does a better job than many of objectively testing them, He then tabulates the results by various performance metrics you can select (if speeds your thing.) Just bear in mind he's US based, so the exact specification of the equipment may vary outside that territory, though often it's just the power supply and the Wi-Fi transmit power (they are allowed more in the USA than the Europe.)

If VPN interests you then hosting the tunnel end point in your router is a good option. However, I think a lot of these VPN Services that' have been popular for the last few years is a bit "snake oily." It doesn't (as often advertised) "make your Internet usage safe" it simply shifts to point at where you traffic emerges onto the Internet from your ISP to the wherever the VPN Service Provider injects it onto the Internet - paradoxically it could actually make the route from source to sink longer and slower. The only good use case I can think of for such services is to avoid geo-locking and/or surveillance by your ISP/state etc.

A better use case for VPN would be if you want to access your content at "home" whilst out and about and ensure it's encrypted as it transits the Internet. For that, you don't need one of these paid for VPN services, you can build it yourself with the "right" router, your own domain name, a DDNS service and clients that are capable of running VPN clients. Thusly, I'd want a router with a DDNS agent built in.

As mickevh says, it rather depends on if you want to host a VPN endpoint (in which case you need a VPN server in your router/network, you'll also need a DDNS service (almost all routers will act as clients to the common DDNS providers). Or if you just want to have your router send out over a VPN (usually for to geo-locking on services) with an endpoint provided by another service.

Either way, Draytek do routers that can provide both VPN servers and clients. However, you'll need to run your existing Virgin Superhub in modem-only mode (if this is possible) feeding the new router as Virgin is not an ADSL/VDSL type of connection.

If you need more ethernet connections you just need to add an ethernet switch (get a Gigabit, unmanaged switch) which are commonly available with 5, 8 (or more ports). Connect one port to your superhub with a ethernet cable and the other ports will be available for use. So one ethernet connection on your superhub will provide 4 ports (5 port switch), or 7 ports (8 port switch). Cost will be about £15 - 20.

Asus RT-AC86U is great for VPN, actually great all rounder.

Nicely discounted at the moment too.

Last edited:
Asus RT-AC86U is great for VPN, actually great all rounder.

Nicely discounted at the moment too.
Agreed, if you're not well versed and don't want to spend lots of time messing about, flash an Asus compatable router with Merlin firmware.
Or if you want to get your hands dirty, pfsense or opnsense on an old mini pc makes a cracking project.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom