1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a PCI (not express) graphics card for hcpc use

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Lum, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Lum

Lum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have acquired an old Dell Optiplex GX110 pIII based desktop that I intend to use as a HCPC as it's about the same shape and size as a VCR, the problem though is it only has two PCI slots and no AGP slot.

It's going to get used for AVI playback and some light 2 player gaming (Old DOS games like Worms, and also MAME and similar emulators)

So I need a good TV out graphics card, preferablt with S-Video and composite connectors that can be made to work simultaneously as it will be hooked up to my AV receiver. RGB SCART would be nice as well if the TV chip can have one of those soldered on.

I would prefer nVidia over ATI as I will probably move it over to Linux at some point in the near future. Currently it's dual booting DOS and XP Pro

Any recommendations?

Edit: I don't have a HDTV and don't plan to upgrade in the near future, so DVI is not an issue

2. dacat285

dacat285

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi chris here! ive got a didgital camera nvds60b and wont work on my computer via firewire to dv. been on the panasonic web site and driver sites and cant get it any help. thanks currently using xp

3. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Not sure why that other guy is on your thread. You can get a GeForce FX5200 for a PCI - that's a pretty new card for such an old slot...

4. Lum

Lum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    £82.00 o_O

I had something more like this in mind:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=79670&_LOC=UK only preferably not made by AOpen and not sold by EBuyer.

I'm currently running an STB Velocity 128 (nVidia Riva 128) which is more than adequate for my games and media playback, apart from the fact that the TV out has serious bugs and the XP drivers do not work properly. If someone knows how to fix those I wont even need to upgrade.

5. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
  6. Lum

Lum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Indeed, but none of the EBay auctions indicate how good the TV out is. I was wondering if anyone knew of any models whice were specifically good in this department so that I could just look for them.

I beleive the Conexant TV encoder chip is the way to go with nVidia cards, but no idea which cards had this chip.

7. Lum

Lum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well in the end I've gone with a Radeon Sapphire 9250 PCI from Scan since someone offered to get me a cheapo card from Scan for free. The picture showed it having separate S-Video and Composite, but then the picture also showed an AGP connector, so I guess I'll just have to hope it works.

I beleive with some cards you can solder a SCART socket onto the TV encoder chip and get 50/60Hz RGB. Is this true for this card?

8. Son of Shaft

Son of Shaft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1