Recommend me a new bike

Pbryanw

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Had my bike stolen yesterday. Even though it was double locked and locked to a metal fence :mad: :(

Anyway that's in the past. What I want now is to know some makes of bike to look at when considering my new bike purchase, which will be sometime next week as I need a bike to get to college.

My old bike was a Ridgeback Velocity which I bought 5 years ago. I'm not too knowledgeable about bikes so don't know what to look for. When I bought my Ridgeback I had some friends who advised me, who I've now lost contact with. I know I'd like my new one to be a similar hybrid/town bike. I'm not too keen on mountain bikes as I won't be doing any off-roading and I think they're slower for road use because of the heavy frames and tyres.

My budget is around £500 with a sizeable proportion going on the locks this time, even though it seems to make no difference to the committed bike thief.

Anyway, any ideas????

I recommmend you try a touring bike.
These are designed to be lightweight, have "forgiving" frame geometry and are very comfortable to ride. They should also have fittings for panniers if you need something to take your books and stuff. Keep with a quality make.
Raleigh and Dawes are just two makers who make very good tourers.
Whatever you go for get a test ride. Some bikes look great but can be uncomfortable and hard work.

Also try Claude Butler. I have found them to be the best at my price range (relatively cheap £250 - £300), but the frames are light (even the mountain bikes), look good and they are very well built. I've always thought Raleigh's looked a bit crap and the frames always seemed heavier. But at the higher price range maybe they are ok...Do you need panniers, why not use a smallish backpack.

Also, experiment with different heights on the handlebar and seat set ups. It can make a hell of a difference to how comfortable you feel and how hard you have to work to get anywhere.

Maybe also insure your bike? Although depreciation on a five year old bike would have probably been zilch :rolleyes:

Valhoudini said:
Had my bike stolen yesterday. Even though it was double locked and locked to a metal fence :mad: :(

Anyway that's in the past. What I want now is to know some makes of bike to look at when considering my new bike purchase, which will be sometime next week as I need a bike to get to college.

My old bike was a Ridgeback Velocity which I bought 5 years ago. I'm not too knowledgeable about bikes so don't know what to look for. When I bought my Ridgeback I had some friends who advised me, who I've now lost contact with. I know I'd like my new one to be a similar hybrid/town bike. I'm not too keen on mountain bikes as I won't be doing any off-roading and I think they're slower for road use because of the heavy frames and tyres.

My budget is around £500 with a sizeable proportion going on the locks this time, even though it seems to make no difference to the committed bike thief.

Anyway, any ideas????

mtb expert-kinda here.

tell me the type of riding you do (eg. nutter/simple on road commuter/cross country), your body type and how much do you travel on bike

add me to msn or email me if u wanna make it quicker n easier [email protected]

Hi thanks for the replies. I'll take a look at Claude Butler and Dawes as they're both new makes to me. Touring bikes sound about right to me as well. Due to brand loyalty I might go for Ridgeback again but again I'm open-minded as I don't know that much about bikes.

Ocygenuk the kind of riding I'll be doing is road commuting. No off-road at all. All I want the quickest and most comfortable bike £500 can buy me for commuter use.

Can someone recommend me a bike insurance place as well. Don't want to be caught out again.

Thanks

Val

Valhoudini said:
Can someone recommend me a bike insurance place as well. Don't want to be caught out again.
It may be included on your house insurance - if you have it.
My house insurance covers mine - even if stolen while away from my propery.

oxygenuk said:
as for the bike, maybe you want something like this http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=60386

Or if you can stand the shame of last years model you can save nearly £100 :D
http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=5477

Evans have now got a branch at X Scape near Castleford if you want to try some out. A list of Lincolnshire dealers can be found here http://www.cycleweb.co.uk/cntys/cnty-lsts/eag-li.htm

I have a Marin MTB, and although I've used it a few times for commuting, it's certainly not ideal, the suspension forks do help with the roads round here, but it's the tyres that are the main problem rather than the weight. I think you're on the right track going for a tourer or a hybrid.

Well went to some bike shops. Tried a Specialized Crossroads and was a bit underwhelmed - not as smooth a ride as my old Ridgeback. The Ridgeback dealer I went to didn't have any of the more expensive models in (£300+) and I fancy a change from my old Velocity.

There's not a great deal of choice, though, in Grimsby (or maybe I haven't looked hard enough). I would order over the Internet but I want the service if anything goes wrong. Anyway, the Trek 7300 FXS is the one I look like going for at the mo.

And can anybody recommend a decent bike lock sub £100. I know thieves can get through almost anything but I'd rather give them a challenge.

Thanks

Val

Similar to Diggers Specisalized tyres...

The Tioga City Slicker are also superb rubber for on-road use... silent and very comfy.

Valhoudini said:
There's not a great deal of choice, though, in Grimsby (or maybe I haven't looked hard enough). I would order over the Internet
I can't emphasize enough the importance of trying before you buy if you want to get it right.
Remember, hopefully it will last you for years so you may as well get it right.
I looked around for a couple of months before making a decision and don't regret it. I ended up spending £600 for a light weight tourer - it's worth every penny.

Good advice. I think I might have to widen my search - try Lincoln, Scunthorpe, Hull and a few other local bike shops.

Just out of interest Steve N which touring bike model did you go for in the end?

@ The Dude ...Mine are better than yours IMHO... :devil:

Funny you should mention those Tiogas...I used them before the Specialized..they were adequate with a few punctures BUT one day...maybe just a VERY unlucky day...I was biking into work and had a rear puncture...fair enough...annoyed of course...10 minutes later I was back on the road...only for the front to let go less than 200m further on...AAARRGGHHHHH!!!!. :mad: :mad: :mad: That redefined the meaning of the word ANGER...and what caused me to go into Condor Cycles and demand the bestest ever puncture proof tyre known to mankind...have not deflated since... :) :) :D :fingers crossed smiley:

Valhoudini said:
Just out of interest Steve N which touring bike model did you go for in the end?
I narrowed to down to a Raleigh Royal or a Dawes Galaxy.
This was a few years ago so I don't know if these specific models are still around.
I ended up getting the Royal because I was impressed with the service at a dealership at Histon near Cambridge - 45 miles away from where I live in Peterborough.

Light User critisized Raleigh and I wouldn't disagree that their " ordinary" bikes are a bit naff.
The Royal however, is superb. Its light with a 531 frame and light weight wheels and fittings and is such a joy to ride.

*EDIT Just had a quick look and it doesn't look they they make the Royal any more.

They still make the Dawes galaxy and I found a dealer not far from you in Hull
Here http://www.dawescycles.com/storefinder/stores/kingston-cycles-hull.htm
Its got me interested again - wanna buy a second hand royal :D

Well in the end bought a Claude Butler. Happened by pure coincidence. I went to a bike shop looking for bikes in my price category but they didn't have any then they asked if I would be interested in a second-hand Claude Butler that had just came in.

I had a look at it and it was in great condition. The previous owner had only used it for 2 weeks before decidiing they wanted a MTB instead. Had a go on it and it felt smooth and overall a good ride.The good thing is it was selling for just over half its new price, because it was second-hand, and it was about half the price I was going to originally spend on my new bike.

In the end I decided I didn't need anything too expensive, especially as the College I ride to isn't the safest place for bikes, and had the good fortune to find this bike available. Now all I have to do is collect it, sort out the insurance and attach lights and lock to it.

Thanks for everyone's help :thumbsup:

Valhoudini said:
in the end bought a Claude Butler.
Another very good make. Years ago these were considered to be the Rolls Royce of bikes. Sounds like you've done alright :thumbsup:

Thanks, the only fault I can find with it is the saddle so I'll be replacing that asap. Other then that I think I've got a bargain :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom