Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Recommend me a media center case

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Sandman, May 3, 2005.

1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    I have finally ironed out all the niggling problems I was having with my media center 2005 machine. The only thing left to do is change the case. I had at one point have my equipment in a desktop case but it was too low for full height cards and the low profile fx5200 graphics card I had wasnt quite up to the job. Anyway I now have my kit housed in an ugly gamer style case with window and neon light and it looks naff in my living room. I have seen quite a few good looking cases that wouldnt look out of place under my tv set but they all seem to be for micro atx motherbaords. I have a full size atx baord and need a case this will fit into.
    Does anybody know of a case that will fit an atx board and full height cards and not look out of place under my tv and costs less than say £50?

2. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    High up on my list at the mo is the enlight case (seen it at rlsupplies, and x-case from memory) ... bit more at £60-£70 and doesn't take ATX but will take full height and is nice & snug. Reckon you're gonna be a bit pushed for a full atx size case in that price range.

3. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The Hiper case is pretty nice although again a little dearer at £60; a silver verison is also available. Micro ATX but full size graphics card. Only concern is that you need to purchase a laptop sized DVD-ROM if you don't have one lying around. Other than that it has recieved some good reviews in the online press.

4. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    Thanks guys but I am not looking to change my motherboard (unless I am forced to).
    Any standard ATX cases that fit the bill?

5. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    If you want a few quid to put towards ur case I may take the low profile graphics card off your hands if you still have it?

6. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought the Coolermaster Cavalier 4, about 70 quid with delivery but it's a nice full size ATX case with 300W PSU and 3 (quiet) fans.

7. Dvml1

Dvml1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can recommend the Silverstone LCA03. It will take all of the usual components but it is £90. Nice looking though.

8. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a case that doesn't look like a PC it will cost you.
    The Claritas Strata is one obvious choice, but will set you back £300.
    It's absolutely georgeous. The 390A will accept an ATX mobo but only with a microATX PSU.
    Another option is the mCubed HFX
    Again, not cheap, but this one will take a full fize ATX mobo and PSU.
    Or for about £100 (still twice your budget though), but starting to look like a PC is the Silverstone LC14M.
    Might be wrong on that last price though.
    I know these are more than you want to spend but when I saw these cases I thought I'd wait a bit longer and spend a bit more.

9. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    Thanks, I will have a look at them. Any other suggestions?
    Sean, you have mail.

10. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,271
    Ok, after searching every brand I could find I finally ordered one of these.
    http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...erial=CAV-T04&other_title=+CAV-T04+Cavalier 4
    I got it for £72 delivered which was a little over my budget but I thought it looked pretty good and fit my other requirements. It comes with a 300W PSU, the only downside being that it doesnt take standard atx PSU's.
    I will let you know more when it gets delivered.