• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommend me a good system?

jocarl11

Hi, I am wanting a new (used) audio system for my kitchen, so not to large, and i'm on tight budget of around £200.

I really like the classic Denon silver systems with mission speakers, are these good sounding?

I want the very best sound I can get (in a kitchen!) for my budget.

Thanks Carl.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I have an old Denon 6.5 system which is pretty good even with the Denon speakers. I had mine connected to the sound card on my PC streaming Spotify. This was top of the range in it's day but you can still get the amp for around £50 leaving a reasonable amount for speakers and a source. As for speakers B&W 601 s2 may be worth a look.

DENON PMA-6.5 Stereo Amplifier | eBay

Here's the whole kit fro £125

Denon 6.5 | in Bellshill, North Lanarkshire | Gumtree

What are you planning on playing through it or listening to as this will define what connections you need - cheapest would probably be phone/tablet to Bluetooth receiver but this will limit sound quality or if you use CD's the matching Denon 6.5 CD's can be had really cheap.

Denon compact disc player DCD 6.5 separate

The other Denon to look out for is probably the M38 all in one system that had good reviews when it was released.

This looks interesting as a starter kit - full size separates if you can handle that in the kitchen - B W Speakers DM 601 S2 + Bundle | eBay

There are a number on this forum that will suggest powered active speakers that cut out the need for a separate amp and you can then feed this with a separate source only. the only problem may be having to have a power plug by each speaker.

No idea how good this is but you could just use an ipad to connect to this via wifi (should be better than Bluetooth) and plug this into active speakers or to a separate amp - WiFi Wireless Music Receiver AIRPLAY DNLA High quality wireless audio streaming

In terms of sound quality then larger bookshelf (6" drivers if you can) and full size separates (arcam/Marantz etc.) will be best, smaller speakers/mini system/all in one's will be a compromise. The Denon 6.5 is a bit of a halfway as it is full size separates housed in a small box but is now getting old.

Hopefully that is a starter for ten and others will be along soon no doubt to add options.

jocarl11

Thanks for your reply.

I have read that the Mission LX-2 are fantastic speakers, so maybe these together with the Denon 6.5 amp?

Needs to be a mini system really or the mrs will probably throw it out the window anyway!

Ugg10

Distinguished Member

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
You are going to need a way of linking the Ipad to the Denon. if you have an old Ipad with the large connector (not Lightning) then you can get a cable that should plug straight in as it has a line out feature built into the connector. Unfortunately the newer Ipads don't so you may need an Airplay or bluetooth box/receiver with RCA/headphone style jack line out to feed the Aux channel on the Amp. However, just reading it seems that the headphone socket may output at a higher level than usual so may be able to connect to Line In on the Amp, simple stereo 3.5mm to RCA cable will do this. Probably best to have a play when/if you get the amp, however do not be tempted to use the phono input as this is super sensitive and will sound terrible.

Old Ipads just need something like this - Zactech 30 Pin Dock to USB and 3.5mm Docking Audio AUX: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

jocarl11

Ipad is an Air 2 with lightening but I have a 3.5 to rca cable to will try that method.
I have a laptop in the kitchen so could always connect that up if needed.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you have a plan :) review on the LX2 look good as you say, other would be the Dali Zensor 1 and Q Acoustics 3020 but these are a bit more money. May be worth making sure the Denon 6.5 comes with the remote if you go for it, may be easier to change volume with that if you tuck it away somewhere in the kitchen.

jocarl11

I decided on the Denon D-M41DAB instead;)

Now is to decide wether to buy 2 more speakers for the other side of the kitchen.... any recommendations on what sort to accompany the LX2? Some used Mission sc-5mk or similar? Or something smaller?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Looking at that Denon it only has one set of speaker posts, I am pretty sure you can't just add another set onto the same posts as the amp will see an increase in load and have to work super hard to produce the sound and therefore possibly damage it. Also, I am guessing your budget has now doubled at least to get the LX2's and the Denon M41 ???

The LX2 have a nominal 6ohm load and low sensitivity (harder to drive by them selves) an the Denon has a nominal rating of 2x30W into 6ohms, no mention in the manual of being able to power anything less.

You also mention "best sound quality" in your OP, adding a second set of stereo speakers in the same room will only muddle the sound, you may want to consider this when looking for and setting up a second set.

Hope this helps.

Connecting multiple speakers to your HiFi amplifier

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
No not a bad thing, but needs a reasonable amp to drive them. Bookshelf speakers are generally less sensitive that floor standard and slightly harder to drive. Sounds counter intuitive but that's the way it is. As this is a kitchen system it should not be an issue unless you want party/club levels of sound.

Alternative is to buy an amp with two sets of speaker posts, typically you can run these in A, B or A+B.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom