1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a good MP3 player?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by David Mackenzie, May 22, 2005.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Hey everyone,

I just sold up my iPod 20gb 4G because I was fed up of it locking up, and also was never pleased with the sound quality (using the same headphones it was ludicrously tinny compared to my Sound Blaster Audigy 2).

My brother's Creative ZEN Mini player sounds far better than the iPod, but I'm not too sure about it because it has an annoying scroll touch wheel thing. I'd really like an MP3 player with plain old fashioned BUTTONS on it! Then I thought of Sony. Can anyone tell me how the sound quality on their network Walkman range is? I was thinking especially of the NW-HD3. Can anyone out there who's a little harder to please in the audio department tell me how this compares to the iPod?

Thanks!

2. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    It's always best to listen to them yourself if you get the chance as everyone hears things differently. The Sony players are well thought of in the sound department and you may want to consider the new NW-HD5 which has just been released.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    That was the one I was thinking of, yeah. I wonder where I'd be allowed to try them out though?

4. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have the new HD5 and i have to say its very good in my opinion. Great sound quality, sonicstage is not so bad - but then again i never used any version other than 3.1!

5. rowlers

rowlers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sound quality of my HD3 is fantastic, far better than my old Zen! SonicStage is pants, even version 3, but its a price worth paying for sexy hardware and great sound!

6. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yeah sonicstage is rubbish but its easy to get used to and simple when you know what to do.

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm not too bothered about the software to be honest. I'm not really a fan of iTunes either.

Anyway, I think I will go into town now and pick one of these up, if any are available for a decent price. Thanks everyone.

8. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    you can pick up HD5 for £185 on net - £199 in shops on the high street.

and HD3 is still going for about 170ish i think on th net.

9. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeh, but if you get it from a shop then if something goes wrong you are much more likely to get it repaired/replaced hastle free. Worth it for the extra £15, I think.

10. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I usually order online, but in this case, I decided jsut to go out and buy it.
    I found it for 200 pounds at the Sony Center here in Glasgow. Apparently I got their last one.

First impressions - gorgeous unit, sound quality sounds miles ahead of my old tinny iPod even through the in-the-box earphones. Got it home, plugged it in, now I'm stuck. Sonic Soundstage. What the hell is a quality manufacturer like Sony playing at using a piece of crap like this? Right now I have a blank window and the options at the top of the screen are flickering on and off. Any suggestions? Can't wait to get this working. I just hope someone releases software that's good.

11. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    What version if Windows are you using? How do you know what the sound quality is like if you have not been able to get SS to work?

12. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    There were two sample tracks already loaded when I got it.

I solved my problem though - I'm using a custom theme with StyleXP. I changed to a different skin and I can now use SS - and it doesn't seem that bad anymore.

13. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    100% satisfied with this now. When I first saw this in pictures, I thought it looked a bit naff and imagined a huge player with big chunky buttons. But wow - it really is the size of a credit card and it looks sleek as hell. LOVE that I'm able to Invert the screen.

But the most important thing of all, and the reason I got rid of my iPod - the sound quality. It really is excellent. At first I was just pleased, and then I removed the EU Volume Restriction and was even happier. But I went through the roof when I edited the "Custom 4" Digital Sound Preset and turned both the Bass and the Treble up to their full positions.

Excellent job, Sony :D :clap: