Recommend me a good Freeview HD recorder...

Number 6

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to go for Freeview as opposed to Freesat for HD (looking on the website and it says my area had Freeview HD since December last year)... with so many boxes out there for recording etc... what's the one most AVForumites would recommend for a newbie?

Cheers as always.

Decided to go for Freeview as opposed to Freesat for HD (looking on the website and it says my area had Freeview HD since December last year)... with so many boxes out there for recording etc... what's the one most AVForumites would recommend for a newbie?

Cheers as always.

All the HD PVR's have been somewhat rushed onto the market and as yet all seem to have issues which leaves it impossible to give any recommendations.

It's not clear from your post which class of device you are prepared to consider... The more expensive BDR and DVDR class of removable disc machines [ with Twin HD tuners] from Panasonic appear to be proving reliable in terms of reception and recording, so they are recommendable, but this may not be what you want.

Have a look at the 3view PVR - www.3view.com - which should be available at the end of July. I've got a pre-production box and am happy with it, though there are some features yet to be implemented.

There are threads on here and DS discussing it and I've put some information up at 3viewPVR.info

I've had the Digital Stream HD recorder for a couple of weeks now and am very happy with it. It has a few issues, but they don't stop it doing the job of setting recordings - also by serias - and playing them back in HD and SD.

There is a firmware update promised at the end of June and DS support have been very good at identifying problems and issuing beta patches to see if they have solved it. Faulty boxes have been replaced by the support people at MIT London.

Have a look at this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/1253846-digital-stream-dhr-8203-5u-6.html

Cheers,

Ray D

Andy,

I just bought a Samsung bd-c8200m from RGBdirect for £350 and I can't praise it enough. It is brilliant. it has Freeview HD, a Blu-Ray player and wifi (n) and will play any file you chuck at it (DivxHD and H264 mkv etc)

it only has one tuner, but in ye olden days video recorders only ever had one tuner

ChrisH

I might pay a little more and go for one of the Panasonic Blu-Ray recorders with freeview HD built in... would enable me to retire my DVR too.

Anyone got one they recommend?

I might pay a little more and go for one of the Panasonic Blu-Ray recorders with freeview HD built in... would enable me to retire my DVR too.

Anyone got one they recommend?

There is effectively a choice of only one model.
The machine is unique in it's field.

There is a choice of two if you include the option of the bigger or smaller hard disc, otherwise the machine is the same:

DMRBW780 [ 250GB ]

DMRBW880 [500GB]

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom