Recommend me a good entry level camera that does video too & can be used on Gimbal too.

brad123

Hi all, I take drone footage for aerial videos and photos but want to take some more better ground shots. At the moment I use my iPhone 12 with a DJI Gimbal. Ideally I want to further down the line use it for indoor videos too maybe on a Gimbal so one that can do that, feel free to recommend a Gimbal too for it, not too expensive. Would like it to do good sound too incase I use it for interviews or video blogs etc and a nice optical zoom would be nice, or option to add extra lenses too to add zoom.

Any recommendations please.

stearman65

Unfortunately in my experience, none of the major gimbal manufacturers products will work with entry level cameras. I did a load of research bought & sent back various gimbals, but none were compatible with my Panasonic Bridge cameras or my Samsung A20 phone. I ended up with a Manfrotto MVG220, a0 because I liked the look of it & B0 I've always liked Manfrotto gear. With that I paired a Fuji XT30. It would work with the gimbal but only to fire the shutter for stills & video. The camera itself I didn't like, it was very small & didn't give the results my Panasonics give. So I sent that back, did a few experiments with the Panasonics & found I could shoot video & stills with them, although they aren't on Manfrottos recommended list. Eventually, I bought a Panasonic DCG100 as a simple carry around camera. I've used the Manfrotto gimbal once & it's back in the box, takes to long to set up, it's heavy & didn't give the results the DCG100 gave. So if you know someone who wants a Manfrotto gimbal in mint boxed condition, I may sell it on.
My advise after all that, check the gimbal manufacturers list of cameras their gimbal is compatible with. the email & ask them to confirm it. That was if it doesn't work with your camera you have grounds to return it.

AMc

Distinguished Member
You seem to be primarily interested in video over stills so you might be better off asking in that forum?

I know that Panasonic's Micro 4/3rds cameras are often used for vogging. They're also good for stills and there's a wide range of lenses from Panasonic, Olympus and 3rd parties using that mount.
KaiManWong shoots a lot on their bodies but also reviews all kinds of gear so worth a look.

Cameras with inbuilt image stabilisation can cope with some movement so it depends what you're hoping to shoot - you may not need that gimbal.

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
The obvious question first is what sort of budget do you have in mind? And what sort of zoom range are you thinking?

I am a huge fan of gimbals because they can offer video far beyond what a standard camera stabilisation system can offer (360 cameras can offer similar footage), after getting on well with phone and action camera gimbals I went down a similar path to what you're thinking of and I regret it. I went with the DJI Ronin-SC gimbal because it's one of the smaller ones but it's still really bulky and fiddly to set up and while it's a very good gimbal it didn't suit my use. I'm currently trying an Osmo Pocket 2 as it has a bigger sensor than the phone and a builtin wireless mic system but unfortunately no zoom.

Fr Spodo Kimodo

Standard Member
Beyond advising you to look out for bodies with IBIS (in built image stabilization) rather than just lens stabilization I dont have a lot to add.
Interesting how things change. You are not alone in coming from drones to stills/vid cameras, whereas not so long ago everyone into drones had come from stills/vid cameras.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom