1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a freeview box...

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by BigAde, Feb 3, 2003.

1. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Can't wait any longer, I'm going to have to get one... :)

Must have 2 scarts and preferably RF loop.

Any suggestions?
    Was thinking of the Nokia 221T and I'm told it is the best box performance wise.
    Tried a friend's Goodmans GBD2 over the weekend - it's only £80 and (I thought) gave good performance, but I've nothing to compare it with. (Signal strength on the Goodmans was 70-80%). What would I get by spending the extra £50 on the Nokia?

Need some advice...!
    Thanks in advance.

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the Nokia 221T and the Thomson DT1000. The Thomson is a much smaller and more attractive looking unit that I'd recommend to anyone; however, the 221T has some key advantages:

o Digital and analogue audio out. DTI1000 has analogue only.
    o RF modulator (digital channels available on RF out). DTI1000 has RF loop only
    o Navi bars system with upto 8 favourites lists. Thomson has simplistic TV guide and favourites list, although guide has mini-picture of currently selected channel. Nokia is text only.
    o Nokia has provision for pay-tv (conditional access module). Remains to be seen how useful this is.
    o Nokia has better features on remote, eg wide button for switching widescreen mode on 4:3 tv and subtitles button.
    o Nokia has some crap games (snake, patience, tic-tac-toe).
    o Slightly better with weak signals.

3. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :smashin:
    Thanks for the reply bobones...

Didn't know the 221T has the RF modulator... does this mean that you can record the digital channels through the RF lead into the VCR?
    Sounds good...
    Been doing a bit of hunting around the web and found some bad reports on the Goodmans (and even the Thomson for that matter), so think I've been put off that.

Guess that only leaves the 221T then (unless anyone can tell me otherwise). Suspect the biggest problem will be finding someone who's actually got one in stock...!
    Any suggestions?

Just one thought though - the Nokia's just had a firmware update, hasn't it? What happens if I buy a 221T which has been sitting on a shop shelf and therefore doesn't have the latest firmware on it ? The transmission for this update has now finished, I believe, so will I ever be able to get it?

4. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I heard a rumour that the 221T is already scheduled to be replaced with a newer model...! Anyone know if this is true???

5. ColinH

ColinH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking into this too, as my analogue reception is bad. I didn't want to shell out any cash until I knew it would solve my problem so I "borrowed" an ON Digital box off of someone. It tuned it's self in OK but to be honest the picture quality was worse than analogue. Can anyone tell me if it's the "box" and perhaps a demo of the Nokia may produce differnet results?

6. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The firmware update is being retransmitted From 10:00 on 24.02.03 until 09:00 on 28.02.03

7. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Difficult to answer without knowing what your picture looks like but it's impossible for a Digital Terrestrial box to produce a "grainy" picture (if that's what you mean by "poor quality") or "ghosting". If the signal is weak you'll see "artifacts" in the form of coloured squares and probably experience picture and sound "break up".

Connect your Digital receiver directly to your TV set with a Scart lead.

Fman

8. ColinH

ColinH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have it connected via scart and left it as composite output to make a fair comparision to what the TV's internal analogue tuner was producing. It was grainy, more so than the analogue signal, on which I get terrible ghosting (what I'm attempting to get rid of)
    Have to admit I was rather disappointed. Watched BBC1 flicking between the analogue internal feed and the digital via scart and it was deffinatly worse. Glad I didn't splash out on an iDTV initially!

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Use RGB COmposite is often mangled on newish TVs

10. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    The new version of the 221T will add a hard disk for recording.
    No other changes on the receiver / tuner side. It will be available around Oct 2003. Pace is doing exactly the same.