1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Funni, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Funni

Funni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

My first post, so please be gentle!

I’ve just bought the Samsung LE32R41D and I want to couple it with a half decent DVD recorder so that I can at last throw away my aged VCR.

My budget is around the £200/300 mark.

Now I’m hoping that doesn’t put me too far down in the lower end of the market as I was hoping to get a player with progressive scan and a HDMI outputs (is that right? I’ve tried researching but I’m still fairly noobish) as I want to take advantage of the new tele’s capabilities.

Also I know nothing about recording with DVD’s but I presume it’s the same as a VCR in the fact that you can be happily watching tele/gaming whilst your dvd recorder is happily recording another channel?? Am I also right in thinking that I will need component cables or will I need a HDMI cable?

Thanks in advance for any help, it will be hugely appreciated as It’s all very daunting when you know nothing about this sort of thing.

Regards

Funni

2. skyline32

skyline32
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your best bet would be to wander into your local newsagents and browse the latest issues of Home Cinema Choice and What Video. They carry reviews in pretty much every issue.

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Get a recorder with a hard disk or you'll end up, with a pile of DVDs like lots of us did with video tapes, trying to remember what is on which.
    An 80GB disk will give you around 70 hours recording at much better quality than VHS.
    Also decide if you want digital TV (Freeview) recording, as you will need to decide the route to take for that. There aren't many DVD recorders around with digital tuners at present, and only one or two with HDD and digital.