1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a digital camera with no NR?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by David Mackenzie, May 31, 2005.

1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Hey everyone, this is probably one of many "what do I buy" threads albeit with an extra requirement.

I used to be the proud of owner of a Nikon Coolpix 4300. I thought the image quality was great. I could take pictures of items for selling on eBay under the fairly dim light I have indoors and the images were really good.

Sadly, that broke and I thought it would be better value to pay for a new camera than to pay for a new lens (one of the gears broke, a common problem I think). Wrong. I replaced it with a Coolpix 5200 which just isn't the same despite being so highly rated. I can't explain it - the images just seem really soft around the edges and have really unnatural contrast. It almost looks as if I've covered up part of the flash with my finger while taking pictures. Sometimes even outdoor shots look 'blown out'. Not only that but all too often, the pictures come out out of focus which didn't happen with the last camera.

So, I'm looking for a replacement. I'm not into serious photography, I'm just looking for a good compact digital camera for casual/fun use. Image quality is really important to me though because I can spot any deficencies in that area a mile off. I've been recommended a Canon Digital Ixus 40 which does seem great, but I'm looking for another suggestion because all of the pictures I've seen from it look as if there's some form of Noise Reduction that can't be turned off, the pictures look excessively filtered even when NR is set to Off.

How do cameras from other manufacturers perform indoors?

2. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Have a look at the Canon S70, it should be more than capable for what you want it for.

ASH1

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Thanks for that suggestion, I'll definitely put that on my list. The samples at Dpreview.com look incredible (but then again, they usually do?). I think that's a lot more resolution than I need, but if I can find it at a good price...

Is there any big disadvantage to that using CF cards instead of SD? Is it much slower? Superficially, I'd also like an ice silver thing...

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What's your budget? the S70 is my personal fav compact but there are others. It does come in sliver by the way and lenses can be added it shoots in raw it's a wide angle zoom so great for indoors and landscapes. specs http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s70.asp

Some others
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd500.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd400.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmclz1.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Panasonic/panasonic_dmclz2.asp

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Thanks seany, I'm really liking the sound of the Canon PowerShot SD500/IXUS 700.

The most I'm looking to spend is about 300 pounds. It can be a US, Japanese or UK version, I don't have any problem using either - in fact most of my cameras have been imports before.

6. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    you could try something like Noiseware to see if that cleans the images up enough if they are a little grainy, i find that works a treat for me!

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 700 does look good, it has the DIGIC II processor that my 20D has and that really is good for killing noise at hi iso's, noise which could be a problem with such a large mp on a compact. But that processor is a serious piece of kit

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    No see that's the problem, I'm hesitant about that first Canon I mentioned because of the fact that it by the looks of it noise-reduces everything whether it needs it or not - all the pictures looked overfiltered to me. I would rather have the camera just give me pictures that I could noise reduce myself in Photoshop - if I saw fit. Grain and detail over Grainless and plastic anyday for me.

9. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Well, I'm back. I've checked out all the cameras people suggested over at Imaging Resources' Comparometer ( http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM ) and so far none of them come as cloes to reproducing fine details as well as the Coolpix 4300. In the "House" shot, all of the others show distorition in the leaves of the trees and to some extent purple fringing, both of which were absent in the 4300. Was the 4300 just an especially good camera - am I expecting too much for the amount of money I'm prepared to pay?

10. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont know much about the camera you had. Why not look on pbase do a search by camera and see what you think. 1000's of examples for most cams shot by the users them self. So real world work outs