Question Recommend me a desktop

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by scottduffy, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. scottduffy

scottduffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi guys

I was looking for a desktop computer for general browsing but more importantly photo editing. I know almost nothing about screens and I know this is important to my editing so wondered if someone could recommend me either a full computer or a screen and separate base. My budget isn't massive at around 700. Thanks in advance

Regards

Scott

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,536
    What sort of hardware are you using now and in which areas is it inadaquate to your needs?

Which colour space(s) are you working in?

Do you have storage already or would this machine need room to store photos as well as working space?

3. scottduffy

scottduffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Storage is not a massive issue as I have a couple of external hard drives that I can use. My current laptop is total junk. It's only a year old and it's a Toshiba something or other but takes an eternity to start up and half the time proceeds to update configurations which takes longer. It's so frustrating I can't believe they'd sell it.

I use rgb and srgb when sending to printers. Sound etc is not an issue at all as I never watch videos unless they're tutorials and I'm not fussed about sound in general. I also don't play games so it's basically something for editing and browsing although I usually do this on my Ipad.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,536
    Windows 10 does have a built in reset option so you could try that on your current laptop if you haven't already.

On the bright side sRGB is the standard colour gamut for monitors so you get lots of choice, on the down side you get lots of choice.

For the computer I'd look at around £500 for a system with an i5, 8GB of memory and a 240GB+ SSD.

Screen-wise is trickier. The most interesting ones are around £300.I would lean towards either:

• a 3840x2160 screen which gives you the benefits of HiDPI (the same sizing as 1920x1080 but more detail in programs that support it) but which can also have some compatibility issues (You'd need a DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0 PC and a few programs will be unusably tiny).
    • A 2560x1440 32" screen which is just a conventional screen but bigger. They also come in 27" which you could consider if you're sat pretty close.
    There are probably still some high quality 1920x1080 panels around, they still make photo editing screens in that size, but finding them is tricky as a lot of screens have no reviews. 1920x1200 is probably a better bet as that's mostly used in more expensive screens these days.

5. Russ_64

Russ_64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I have just upgraded my monitor to 2560x1440 27" with the BenQ GW2765HT, it is great screen with inputs: D-Sub, DVI, DP, HDMI. Great value for £260.

For PC I would go with a top end i3 or i5 but get 16Gb DDR4 RAM and 240Gb SSD. Works great with Windows 10.

6. scottduffy

scottduffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks guys.

7. andjarnic

andjarnic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    First of all.. you have the exact name of my brother.. though we have an e in our last name. lol

700 is a tough budget to work with if you plan on a monitor and some hardware. I am not a fan of premade computers myself.. I opt to build my own from scratch. For the price range you are talking, you are looking at a case, power supply, motherboard, cpu and water cooler, and a little bit of RAM for a workable editing machine.. oh and a low end SSD for boot. For the budget, i would look at an AMD Ryzen 5 cpu, preferrably 16GB of RAM, and a 256GB nvme ssd for os/apps. I would also consider only a 80 gold or higher power supply unless energy is free for you. I always look for a water cooler on the cpu these days, as they can be had for $40 to $80 or so and despite that most people tend to lean that way for overclocking.. i look at it as a good way to avoid extra noise, space (cpu fans take up a bit of room for anything decent), and the extra added knowledge that your cpu should run cool under most loads without taxing it... thus longevity.

As for a monitor, today, 4K is the way to go for any sort of video or photo work. However, 4K makes text tiny.. so you want at least a 28 to 32 inch monitor, and those are not cheap if you want something that is true to color for photo/video work. I would guess at least 500 to 1000 for a good monitor. You can find cheaper. I found a 4k tv over a year ago for 400 bucks.. it isnt near color perfect or has anything fancy, but at 40 inches, for that price.. it did the job.

For me, with your budget, i would build a more capable system and stick with whatever monitor you have now until you can afford a nicer one.

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,536
    The components you list alone come to £750 and they're several parts short of a complete computer. Even if you cheaped out on everything else you'd be looking at £950+

Water cooling has the noise of the pump as well as the fans, so it's not a good way to avoid extra noise. The other two points are also pretty dubious. CPUs at stock speeds last forever, so there's no practical longevity benefit and I'm struggling to think of any small cases that fit water coolers.

9. andjarnic

andjarnic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guess pricing and noise levels are different in the USA then. I have 3 different water coolers and not one of them make noise. I mean there is a slight noise if the cover is off, but when everything is closed up the noise is very low. Much lower than larger cpu fans make. At least in my years of building computers.

There are plenty of articles that show how to build an affordable gaming rig for under $750. Prices vary all the time too. RAM for example is very high right now. I paid 1/3 the price for DDR4 over a year ago.. it was slower than what I bought recently, which does make a difference as well.

10. scottduffy

scottduffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks guys. I have a laptop just now and although it's only just over a year old it's terrible. Every time I start it its configuring updates and it's so slow. It's my first Toshiba and my last. I bought it to replace my medion laptop which has been brilliant for years.