Recommend me a CPU for Socket 775 mobo

ash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my CPU is getting dated, I have a Intel E2160 Socket 775 Pentium Dual Core 2x1.8Ghz 800FSB.

Would like a faster CPU. Would ALL Socket 775 CPUs work? e.g. all of these: Components » Processors » Intel Core 2 - Overclockers UK

I'm not sure whether to get a C2D or get Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 LGA775 2.70GHz (800FSB) - Retail

Any advice welcome.
Mobo details attached.

Attachments

• moboard.png
    moboard.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 26
Instead of buying new, a look in the Compuer Classifieds would probably be worthwhile... you will get more for your money...

The Q6600 is very hard to beat in the performance/price stakes...

I strongly advise that you don't go for a Pentium Dual-Core CPU as that is older technology than C2D. So even though the CPU you mention has a faster clock speed than your current CPU it is very likely to be a lot slower in real world performance.

You could upgrade to a C2Q CPU, even with a slower clock speed than your current one if you use programs that can utilise the multiple cores, or if you run several CPU intensive programs at the same time. Otherwise you will only see a limited benefit of more cores.

Mark.

I strongly advise that you don't go for a Pentium Dual-Core CPU as that is older technology than C2D. So even though the CPU you mention has a faster clock speed than your current CPU it is very likely to be a lot slower in real world performance.

Erm, the Pentium E series are exactly the same are C2Ds, just with less cache, the e5000 and e6000 series chips are pretty decent budget CPUs if you can get one 2nd hand. The Pentium D series are the crap ones.

Go for the Quad Core 9xxx series if you can, they require slightly less power and draw less heat than the 6xxx series as they are the newer 45nm design, rather than 65nm. Really we need your budget as that would help a lot.

I've bought at least 6 2nd hand CPUs in the last year or so for myself/girlfriend/others, not had any problem with them. CPUs are fairly tough and as long as you buy from someone with decent feedback you shouldn't have any issues buying 2nd hand. You could stick a wanted ad in the computer classified section here for a Q6600, someone will probably sell you one for £80.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom