Recommend me a book for a beginner on DSLR photography

addo106

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going travelling to Australia and I'm looking for a book to read on the plane and help me take better photos when I'm out there. I'm a not a total beginner but need to learn more. I've got a Nikon D3100. Can anyone recommend me any books please

Hi there :hiya:

Have you tried the "....For Dummies" series (I'm not inferring anything)? I have the "....For Dummies" manual for my 1100D and find it very useful. :)

Hi, I will have a look.

Really looking for a book to explain settings I need for different scenes. I photographed a golf pro am and got after researching settings before got some really good pictures of bunker shots and swings.

However when I tried photographing fireworks they didn't come out as well as I hoped.

Looking for a book that can teach me about settings so I don't get bad pictures in Australia and I'm not stuck in auto mode.

''Understanding Exposure" will cover you for years to come!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That was the one i was looking at on amazon. Gets good reviews on there so cheers guys.

Without colour I can't see the kindle edition being that good unless it's on an iPad through the kindle app.

Out of interest, how does the kindle handle the photographic examples?

No idea, I use the iPad3. I tried readers but when you read pdf magazines that are actually scanned images the screen resolution is too poor to zoom the "text".

eddiewood said:
No idea, I use the iPad3. I tried readers but when you read pdf magazines that are actually scanned images the screen resolution is too poor to zoom the "text".

Zinio is pretty decent in my experience for PDF style magazines. But a PDF of scanned images that would not be the official version?

Seymour Butts said:
Well before you blow your hard-earned, this is an online guide to the basics, so it's a decent starting point.

The book is only 11 quid or so and is a well structured practical lesson on taking properly exposed photos with any DSLR. It's that good it will have you using manual controls on the camera in no time and have you absolutely confident that you know what you are doing and why.

It's worth four times the money easily, and I've never seen an online guide that even comes close to the content in this book.

Bought the book from Amazon for about ÂŁ11 as I wanted it to read on the plane. Looks like it will be very useful and helpful. Thanks for the suggestion everyone.

I bought Understanding Exposure, The Photographer's Eye, The Photographer's Mind and The Photographer's Eye Field Guide last week after needing something to read outside in the good weather.

I've started Understanding Exposure and it seems perfect for beginners. I wish I'd bought it a few years ago as I haven't really found much I didn't know so far but it's still an interesting read and filled with some great images. It's also good to get an idea of the science behind photography as well as the practical information.

The Photographer's X series sound like they are more about composition and thinking about your shots so they might be worth looking at for further reading.

The book is only 11 quid or so and is a well structured practical lesson on taking properly exposed photos with any DSLR. It's that good it will have you using manual controls on the camera in no time and have you absolutely confident that you know what you are doing and why.

It's worth four times the money easily, and I've never seen an online guide that even comes close to the content in this book.
I'm sure you're all correct not having read the printed guides, but it was merely a suggestion to see if the information posted was of any value.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom