Recommend me a 3rd party router to work with Sky Fibre

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by Nabs, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have just joint sky fibre and have their SR102 router which is not very good both limiter ethernet speeds and only 1 channel wireless.

I wish to connect wirelessly new macbook pro via AC and then also legacy devices such as ipad, iphone, android phones etc.

I also wish to connect the router to a gigabit network.

I was thinking about replacing the router or wiring it to a new generation router as an accesspoint/ gateway.... thinking about a netgear nighthawk or the asus ac68U but open to suggestions.

Anyone tried these with sky fiber?

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,722
    You could probably achieve the same for much less money by keeping the Sky router to do the line termination, routing, NAT, etc. (and thus not have all the heartache of getting "something else" to work with Sky,) turn off Sky's Wi-Fi and add either a stand alone A/B/G/N/AC Wi-Fi Access Point (AP) or if you want a combination Access Point and GBit switch by "crippling" a suitable router. (How do do so is described in the "Using two routers together" FAQ in the "Networking and NAS" forum.) The down side is, that this a "two box" solution.

If you can live without AC, three stream (up to 450mbps) dual band, A/B/G/N Access Points and/or routers can be found for as little as GBP 40.

Web site SmallNetBuilder does a pretty good job of fairly objectively reviewing SOHO routers. You could do worse than look there. Though I guess there's not much AC kit to choose from yet.

3. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks

4. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: