1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend me a 32-37" TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by jezscott, Aug 7, 2005.

1. jezscott

jezscott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I've only just started reading the post at this site and I'm looking for a new TV around £1500.

I think 37" is about the maximum for our 4x4m living room, we'll be watching mainly from a Media Centre PC and sound through a hifi amp. So I don't need a tuner or speakers (possibly use as center speaker if needs be) needs to be HDTV ready. A small frame would also help reduce the impact of the screen on the room.

I'm looking for picture quality and I don't mind LCD or Plasma and at 32-37" I think my choices lie with both.

2. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba 36ZP48P.
    What Video and WideScreen 5 star review.
    "Picture Frame3 makes the competition look pedestrian: this is as good as CRT gets"

£798.00 delivered online.

5.1 enc. component video. subwoofer etc etc

3. jezscott

jezscott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hadn't considered a CRT yet. I guess the back would be hidden in the corner of the room anyway. HD output? suitable for Media PC?

4. 5lab

5lab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no hd, its pretty rare on a crt

i would reccomend getting a decent lcd panel with HDMI and DVI connectors on it. there are some new samsungs that are quite nice - i think the 36" version is around £1200. might be worth popping into a hifi shop for a look thou

5. jezscott

jezscott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree. maybe I can get down to tottenham court road one eveneing this week.

6. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but you didnt say what type/spec you wanted.
    The Tosh is 800w x 630h x 600d. Quite a small footprint considering its CRT.
    But if you want Slim then I guess LCD /Plasma is your option but everything I see under £2000 is crap. LCD cant match CRT I reckon. But thats just my opinion.
    There was a post last week selling Panasonic Plasma/Stand/Input box brand new with stand delivered for £1150. Do a search if youre interested.

7. jezscott

jezscott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've heard from a number of people that CRT's still have better picture quality. I have made a note of the Tosh CRT and will try to get a look at it in the shops. But as I'm using the display with a media PC an lcd might be better suited.

8. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    you only have to look at the reviews on Home Cinema Choice website to confirm that for PQ, CRT is still king. In fact, you only have to go up close to a CRT screen and look at the 'pixel' type formation and compare it to the pixels on an LCD or plasma where you can instantly see the screendoor effect to see why CRT looks a much better picture - for a start its had over 70 years of development! Plasma and LCD however appeal for the slimless, coolness and wall mountability - pretty pointless if you paid two/three/four times the cost of a CRT though and have a lesser pic quality!