Recommend me a 23-27" LCDTV with these specs!

B

Bluud

I need a 23-26" LCD TV for no more than about £1000.

I need the following things on it:
Progressive scan
Component Cable input

Mostly for DVDs and Gamecube Games. Recommendations please!

thanks.

Sharp LC26GA4E.

26", Component input, Prog Scan, HDCP Compliant DVI input, response time <16ms, Quick shoot function for fast moving action, cracking tv, c£950.

Richie.

Bluud,

Yup the Sharp Richie has recommended is the one. There are plenty others around for less money and with a lesser specification....

Jimmy

no other recommendations? Or is this clearly the only TV to get :)

Sharp LC26A4E ....

nahhhhhhhhhhh .. it is rubbish don't bother!!!

ha ha ha ...

Oh go on then .. get one .. I have one!

Sharp LC26GA4E - I looked at one in john lewis today and the picture was SIGNIFICANTLY grainier than almost all the others around it (it was only a normal TV signal, but still I couldnt help but notice)

Does it just respond badly to poor signal?

Personally I find the Sharp deals quite poorly with a bad signal.

But if you take the necessary steps and use good connectors and connections to get a good feed to it the quality is good .. very good.

If you are using component input then your input signal should be good and you will therefore get a good picture.

If you are going to feed it a bad signal then get a CRT.

Don't trust JL signals or any other department/electrical store for that matter ! These stores get a signal and split it about 500 times (Count the number of TVs in there). Also, they do not set the tv settings correctly and therefore if the DNR is set to high along with the Sharpness, the picture can look appalling.

Yes, the Sharp does show up poor quality signals but 80% of the freeview we watch I am happy with. DVDs even through RGB Scart look impressive. Can't wait to get a DVD player with either Component or DVI hooked up to it.

Check this thread out, it has a few settings for the GA3/4. Take a walk into your JL again with these settings in hand and ask them to connect a DVD player via RGB Scart for the closest thing to Sky or Freeview. Then ask them to view the DVD player through Component or even DVI if they have a player.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168684&highlight=GA3/GA4+settings

Richie.

What about for 25-30" maybe with freeview but definitely HDTV support? For not much more than £1200. Any ideas?

errrrrrr ...

Sharp LC26GA4E ... again?

Most TVs come in 26, 32 and 37 inch sizes ...

so asking for 25 - 30 inches still puts you in the same bracket.

Did see in both the January edition of "Digital Home" and issue 113 of "Home Cinema Choice" something called a LGB-26DTT from Humax.

Going from the specs (see www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/dtv_lcd26_lgb-26dtt.asp) it seems the business:
> 1280x768 resolution
> Both analogue and digital tuners
> Component, DVI-D, S-video, etc.. inputs
> etc..

Only thing that doesn't get mentioned is if the DVI-D interface is HDCP compliant.

Anyone got a view on Humax as a company or this particular LCD-TV?

Cheers,
Neil

I believe that the HD Ready label indicates that the DVI socket is HDCP compliant.

Personally, I'm considering the ViewSonic N3000W 30". It can bought for under £1200 from several on-line shops, is HDCP compliant and has recieved very good reviews.

I'm restricted with screen width to about 70cm which seems to translate to a 26" widescreen with bottom speakers - hence my interest in the Humax.

Just had confirmation from Humax UK that the DVI-D input is HDCP compliant. Just want to see it running in the flesh now. Also had a quote from a retailer @ £799+VAT, so £940'ish.

What about the Sharp 26" LC26GA3E

That has a bottom speaker and is removeable as well.

Don't know how it compares PQ wise with a Humax though. Though it is even cheaper than the Humax!

Can be had for around £877 inc VAT

ndavies4 said:
Did see in both the January edition of "Digital Home" and issue 113 of "Home Cinema Choice" something called a LGB-26DTT from Humax.

Going from the specs (see www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/dtv_lcd26_lgb-26dtt.asp) it seems the business:
> 1280x768 resolution
> Both analogue and digital tuners
> Component, DVI-D, S-video, etc.. inputs
> etc..

Only thing that doesn't get mentioned is if the DVI-D interface is HDCP compliant.

Anyone got a view on Humax as a company or this particular LCD-TV?

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,

the resolution is in a 15:9 format which would put the actual panel as being one of the older types. The newer panels out now are in 16:9 (Usually 1366x768) and have better response times.

Richie.

I've got the Humax and it's brilliant. The PQ is better than my Philips plasma and the Humax has two freeview digital tuners built in. The picture I get on digital is perfect although I am in line of sight of the transmitter but using a loft aerial. My only criticism is a bit of fan noise if the sound is turned right down but I haven't got any other LCD set to compare it with so I don't know if that's normal or not. I got it from Scan computers.

Bill,
That's good to know - thanks. Have you got the exact model I'm looking at: 'LGB-26DTT'? The spec of it on their site only seems to say it has 1 Freeview digital tuner (plus 1 analogue). Was under the impression that the 2 digital tuner spec only came with the PVR versions of their TVs - good news if you are right though!

Have just managed to get myself invited to Humax's HQ in Kingston to have a look/play (by complete luck I live just round the corner), so can check it out for sure then.

Also how's the sound using the TVs speaker - was marked down slightly in the "Home Cinema Choice" review. Also what did it cost you from Scan - around £950?

Rich,
Is that true - 1366x768 indicates the latest (and greatest) technology, while a 1280x768 resolution would imply last years model? Good to know if that's right. The spec of the Humax mentions "Response Time 16 ms"; what kind of number should one be looking for here?

Does there then actually exist a 26" or 27" widescreen LCD (with bottom speaker) that is 1366x768 (i.e. true 16:9) which has both an HDMI (or DVI-D) HDCP compliant input and multiple (at least 1 digital) tuners, and comes with a better response time? If so that's the one for me (provided it's <£1k)!

Cheers,
Neil

ndavies4 - the visit to Humax HQ should be fun then!
See if you can get more info on the 32" model....PLEASE! :) (ie release date, SRP etc.)

Neil,

But surely one of your major concerns should be picture quality!

Yes response time is fairly important, but a slightly higher spec does not always mean better PQ. i.e. there are a lot of computer TFT monitors that have low response times and are actually worse that better screens with higher response times!

With regard to a digital tuner I personally think it is better to get an external digital tuner as firmware updates are a lot more frequent and quicker than something that is built in. In my experience most "built in" digital tuners come in a separate box anyway.

As always .. just my own view.

MilesR,
The Humax site says the LGB-32TPVR will be available early March '05 and the 26" PVR version early May. Will try to find out more for you though (going there on 18th).

hoyin,
To be honest, response times is something I'd never worried about before, it was just in reply to 'richjthorpe's post that got me thinking it maybe was something to consider. As you say PQ is everything, hence my desire to see the thing in the flesh.

BTW: the cheapest quote for the Sharp 26GA3E you mention is £950'ish via Pricerunner (and £1500 in JL!). Where are you getting it for £877? (note, this is what Pricerunner has the 26GA4E at).

ndavies4:

Well actually JL sell it on for £1145 even though the price tag in the shop says £1229??

I think?

Anyway www.rgbdirect.co.uk do it for an online price of £877.

You can get a price match but not with the online price, but regardless I got mine from JL for £901 with 5 years warranty etc. etc.

Still don't see how you get that price for the Sharp:

Click on your link and search for 'GA3' - Sharp LC26GA3E gets listed at £979.95.

Note, re-search on 'GA4' - Sharp LC26GA4E listed at £877.95

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom