Recommend LCD or Plasma

Keith Lynn

Standard Member
Reaction score
:lease:

Can someone recommend which type - LCD or Plasma for a 40+ inch size screen?

Also manufacture??

Thx

Also manufacture??

Thx

Sorry I also meant to say it is for a friend....

Hi,
This is a Tin of Worms.
The rule of thumb used to be over,say 37" then Plasma,but really there are Pros and cons for both systems.The best advise is to view as many of each system as you can,preferably in "Real world" conditions and pick the Tv that you/your friend like best and whatever system it is,buy that.
There are thousands of salesmen,Advisers and indeed Forum members who will argue long and hard for their preferred system.But they wont be at home living with it, will they?
Sorry this isnt more helpful,but your question is really far more involved than it at first appears.

Good Luck

KH

Don't got plasma if your a gamer.

plasma is fine for gaming. Id choose plasma, they look a lot better than LCDs in my opinion, although youll be happy with either to be honest.

Basically plasmas have better blacks, faster response (dont pay much attention to that though) better colour reproduction and handle motion better.

LCDs have no risk of IR (although thats not much of a problem anymore on decent sets) better whites, although plasma whites are fine, and are better if your house is really really high! :D LCDs have higher resolution too but i think the overall PQ of plasmas (especially on SD) is much better. LCDs have sharper pictures too, although sometimes too sharp, depends if you like soft or sharp pictures

For plasma look at Pioneer (if you can afford them) or Panasonic mainly, i recently bought the 37PX80 and its top! you can get that for around £500-£600, or a bigger one for more.

For LCDs look at Panasonic and Sony mainly in my opinion, both have pros and cons so look at some in shops (look in a lot of shops to get a variety of set ups) and look around for reviews by experts

Moderator Comment: yet another thread taken off topic and descending in to the LCD v Plasma is best debate, if you can't answer the OP's question then don't reply..this is not the first time a thread has gone this way, if it happens again infractions will be issued to any and all offenders, there will be no more warnings.

Also manufacture??

Thx

Source?
Viewing Distance?
Gaming? (if yes, list the types of games, duration, on-screen HUD time etc...)
Budget?
Online or high-street?

Last edited:
Source?
Viewing Distance?
Budget?
Online or high-street?

Another one to add to that list is what is it used for overall and how long (roughly) is it used for each, so say 80% SD content, the odd SD/upscaled DVD, a blu-ray once or twice a week and an hour or so of gaming every few days for example

also, do you prefer the sharper pictures? plasmas produce softer pictures (which i prefer) but if you find soft pictures to be of poor quality then LCDs generally are sharper.

I actually find PDPs just as sharp. But the OP hasn't replied yet, so we can't provide any recommendations until he/she does.

I actually find PDPs just as sharp. But the OP hasn't replied yet, so we can't provide any recommendations until he/she does.

True, there is usually a 'cross over period' anyway where plasmas will have a slightly higher sharpness in the settings but it will be the same, you can get the optimum sharpness for most peoples needs on both, some people prefer super soft pictures though, plasma is a slightly better option for that. Similarly, some people prefer super sharp images, LCDs are better for that

Source?
Viewing Distance?
Budget?
Online or high-street?

As mentioned this is for a mate... He would like LCD, but wants one from 40 inch's upwards. Budget up to £900K. Makes, Sony, Panasonic or Samsung.

My only concern is that when I looked at buying a large screen. It was Plasma that came top, from 40in upwards. However maybe things have changed in the last 16 months?

He will use it for watching standard tv & DVD's...No gaming.

If you can recommend a TV - Type & Manufacture (Say 40 inch upwards) in that budget range that would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
40" + i would say plasma and if theres no gaming on it then plasma is the perfect technology for him.

I would recommend one of the Panasonic plasma's. You can get the 42" 42PZ80 from here - Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Panasonic TH-42PZ80B - 42" Widescreen Viera 1080P Full HD Plasma TV - With Freeview for £850

Or, if he wants to go slightly over budget he can get the 46" 46PZ80 here - Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Panasonic TH-46PZ80B - 46" Widescreen Viera 1080P Full HD Plasma TV - With Freeview

He will be very happy with one of those. Plasmas generally come up tops on SD and movie watching, its gaming where LCDs become more appealing really, for me, plasma is a must if theres no gaming (i still say plasma for gaming too but i can see the LCDs attraction)

Run those by him, see how he feels about plasma, theyre deffinitely better (and cheaper) as they get bigger

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
40" + i would say plasma and if theres no gaming on it then plasma is the perfect technology for him.

I would recommend one of the Panasonic plasma's. You can get the 42" 42PZ80 from here - Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Panasonic TH-42PZ80B - 42" Widescreen Viera 1080P Full HD Plasma TV - With Freeview for £850

Or, if he wants to go slightly over budget he can get the 46" 46PZ80 here - Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Panasonic TH-46PZ80B - 46" Widescreen Viera 1080P Full HD Plasma TV - With Freeview

He will be very happy with one of those. Plasmas generally come up tops on SD and movie watching, its gaming where LCDs become more appealing really, for me, plasma is a must if theres no gaming (i still say plasma for gaming too but i can see the LCDs attraction)

Run those by him, see how he feels about plasma, theyre deffinitely better (and cheaper) as they get bigger

Thx Mate for the feedback... I have to admit that I prefer Plasma, having got a Pioneer.. The pic quality is great..

I have forwarded yr cooments on to him. My recommdation is check prices of these sets, go to yr local Comet, see pic quality & buy online or what ever is value for money..

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
plasmas dont often look as good in shops, its one of the reasons the plasma market is dying. They dont look as good in really bright lighting conditions, plus shop set ups are always dodgy, you never really know what youre getting if you go entirely on shops. To get the best guess at whats best you need to read every expert and user review on the net!

also, looking on this forum is good because theres a lot of normal people with normal needs so you dont read about things that you ont notice but they know theyre stuff so you can generally depend on them. The PZ80s are brilliant though, he'll be stunned by their beauty

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom