Recommend internet radio stations

mickbirch2000

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Having recently incorporated a Bluesound Node 2i into my music listening I have been struck by the difference in the sound quality of internet radio between stations. I wondered what other peoples experience was & if you could recommend any particularly good quality for both sound & music. My tastes in music are very wide, I will enjoy most things if the sound quality is good. I will start off myself , Radio paradise , HD Radio Blues Network, JB Radio 2 & WJMX Smooth Jazz are some of the best I have found. Still looking for a good classical station. Its noticeable that the stations I have found are USA based. All the British including the good old BBC sound thin & pretty lifeless to me. What are your experiences?

Last edited:
I quite like Danish state radio DR, in particular DR P2 (Classical) and DR P8 (Jazz), also try French TSF Jazz, Czech CRo Jazz and Australian classical station Fine Music 102.5. For some easy listening Dutch stations NPO 2 Soul & Jazz and Candlelight Radio. Sound quality has always been good enough for me, give them a try.

Soulbeat radio is my fave (if you like that kinda thing of course).

Paul T " Soul Addictions" at 2pm every Tuesday is the show for me.

Thanks for your recommendations I’ll give them a try.

I try and listen to stations that are 320kbs

Linn have 2 stations that sound great. Linn Jazz is superb

I listen to True Vinyl Alternative because I like 80s alternative

When classic rock meets the blues - JB Radio-2 very good sounding station, if you havent tried it I recommend you do.

I can now interrogate the Node 2i when listening to internet radio to check the quality of the stream which is useful.
I have found a good quality station All Oldies Radio, plays some good MOR music with the minimum of adverts & streams AAC 356kb/s which produces a noticeable jump in sound quality above the norm.

I've never heard internet radio that sounded even half decent. My minimum standard is Spotify / Amazon Music levels....

I don’t expect my internet radio favourites to match up with the very best quality that music streaming services can offer but it’s about the range of music and discussion offered. Much of what I listen too sounds more than half decent.

TuneIn have effectively isolated everyone in Britain from the thousands of global radio stations ???
I get tired of companies throwing their toys out over licensing problems, surely this could be sorted out without affecting us poor listeners.

Currently listening to Caroline 319 Gold. 60s/70s/80s and good quality stream.

This is the time of year I start to tune into Christmas Hope (takes me a long time to get into the Christmas spirit). It's an Australian Christian channel but plays a really diverse selection unlike the same 10 tunes we get on rotation in the UK.

I can highly recommend WHRO Alt Radio if you like alternative music and no ads. It's an east coast USA station and plays 90% new music from UK and USA alt artists mainly. Think Tuneyards, Laura Marling, Sufjan Stevens, This is the Kit, but also the occasional oldie from the likes of John Cale, Bruce Springsteen etc. But no chart pop, no rap and no ads! It has the odd country song too but nothing cheesy. I did quite like United DJs which I discovered the other week, especially The Heritage Chart with Doc Fox on Sundays but he announced he and Mike Read were leaving for Vintage Music Radio and taking the chart with them but the web streams don't work, the Android app doesn't play and when I contacted them the email bounced! Not a great start if you can't listen to it anywhere....anyone found it?

I was involved with interweb radio for many years, always fussy about sound quality, one of the reasons the fact Planet Rock broadcasts in mono on DAB and a low bitrate on interweb erks me so much! One of my current favorites is Classic Rock Florida

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom