Recommend good Blu-Ray writer and discs for data archive?

sfax

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for Blu-Ray discs and a Blu-Ray writer for backing up photo and video data?

I have had one failed attempt with an LG BP40NS20 6x USB 2.0 Slim External Blu-ray Disk Rewriter and Verbatim 43713 BD-R 25GB discs. I wasted 8 discs before i finally gave up and returned the writer. They all got to about 65% of 20GB and then failed. You can see data has been written on the discs to the same radius.

I assume that it was just a faulty LG unit but I won't trust LG again (they also don't even have this device listed on their support database) so I am looking at Buffalo now (Buffalo 8x External Blu-ray Drive USB 2.0) and sticking with the some Verbatim discs

Any advice much appreciated

I've just ordered a Buffalo external 8x speed one for a replacement for my external dvb writer. Hope it is a decent one. Decided to get the Blu ray one for the extra money. Can't see me using it for Blu ray much at all. Keeping fingers crossed.

Now received this drive. software would not install. Eventually managed to get it installed the next day. Did not do anything different and it worked.:eek:

Ordered up some Maxell discs to try. approx £7 for a pack of 10, not bad value I suppose. Should do for back up of stuff.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom