Recommend DVD Recorder.....please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by StevePn, Dec 15, 2004.

1. StevePn

StevePn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :lease:
    I wish to purchase a dvd recorder, can anyone recommend one for the following requirements!
    1-Price no more than £250.
    2-Would like to be able to play/record on dvd RW, but could make do with dvd RAM.
    3-I am a Panasonic fan, but would consider other brands.
    4-Not fussy about multi region.
    5-95% use for timeshifting TV.

Thanks Steve

2. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    steve

Recently purchased my first dvd recorder the jvc drm 10 and it is a very good machine. time slips with dvd ram (plays/records same time).Also records dvd rw- and plays everthing including dvd + rw and dvd+r disks no problem. It does have progressive scan but your tv must be compatible.

downside: is the manual is quite large but you must read some of it to figure out what you are doing. Also the fan was on even on standby but fixed the problem by reading the manual. also there is rgb out but not in, so for viewing it is great but recording from rgb is missing. Having said that I recorded using the six hour mode and it was alot better than the normal vcr quality.

price cost me 270 cyprus pounds but I see it is alot cheaper in most European countries.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I know you said that you didn't like Panasonic (I'm not a great fan myself !), but the E55 is a great little machine. DVD-RAM is much more versatile, and if you use the disks in caddies, then they will last even longer.

4. jeff9999

jeff9999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where are you getting your DVD Ram in caddies because they seem hard to find (at a reasonable cost)?

5. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,147
    Nick_UK,he is a Panasonic fan. :thumbsup:

6. NickRno77

NickRno77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I have a JVC DR-MV1 VCR/DVD combo, the fan drives me up the wall, how did you turn the fan off in standby mode???

Cheers

Nick

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just buy the Panny E55. It works, it's simple and, I hear on the grapevine, that it can, apparently, have a hard disk added! Just look at the E85 chassis and see what I mean. Does anybody know for sure???

Anyway, back to the basics...It has RGB in and out. Outputs component with Progressive Scan. Plays a huge range of formats. Timeshifts perfectly. Outputs Audio optically and digitally. Upgrades RGB to Component. And it is a genuinely superb DVD player too. If you can't get caddy RAM discs, just get loose ones, but you need to look after them!

£179 online from Comet. Free Delivery. And if it breaks, just take it to your local Comet to get it fixed! Great.

Jimmy

8. alex.lake

alex.lake
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £179 from Comet????

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry Guys!

I got it at Comet 4 - 5 weeks ago for £179. Price back up to £199. It is, however available at Empire Direct for £176 + carriage.

Jimmy

10. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get a Pioneer 220S I can highly recommend it. I got mine for £170 from Richer Sounds and someone on the forum was kind enough to supply me with a multi-region firmware upgrade (Be aware this invalidates your warranty. But who usually checks?). You can get it for £199 inc free P&P with multi-region from some so online retailers so you don't have to worry about warranty issues. But they seem to be out of stock until after christmas.

It is pretty sweet and dead easy to use. Does DVD-R and DVD-RW with play and record at the same time.