Recommend DVD player

loggie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Could somebody please recommend a dvd player to me to partner a Philips 32pw9618 somewhere in the region of £150-£250? I was looking at the pioneer 565a but I am not sure if it would be wasted on this set. I could be (and probably am) wrong because I am not familiar with progressive scan and component in which that tv does not have. I also have in mind the Toshbia 330 but I read in a thread somewhere that the drawer was very poor and it was a slow player to get going (again probably wrong)
Thanks
Loggie

My brother just bought the Tosh 3300 and the draw seems fine to me. Not the most robust of drawers but smooth and quiete.
At 70 GBP for a player with picture and sounds as good as this, coupled with the fact it's made by a top manufacturer, it's a friggin' steal!
Buy it and spend the money you saved on quality inter-connects!!!!

I have a 565a and am very happy with it, but as you say is it worth it with the rest of your kit? As far as the TV goes I would say yes, but do you have or intend to buy a suround sound set up? If not then the 565a's DVD-Audio and SACD capabilities will be wasted, so are they worth paying for?

Originally posted by loggie
I also have in mind the Toshbia 330 but I read in a thread somewhere that the drawer was very poor and it was a slow player to get going (again probably wrong)
Thanks
Loggie

Its not the drawer thats poor on the Toshiba 330 its the whole dvd drive. The term 'dvd loader' actually means the dvd drive. Basically the drive doesn't seem particularly strong or durable. Its not brilliant with copied media and seems to have trouble keeping up sometimes resulting in frame skipping especially near the end of dvds I think although I never encountered frame skipping myself when I had mine. My drive just started to go wrong after about 7 weeks.

Hmmmmm. My tosh 220 has never acted like this. It plays virtually ANYTHING I throw at it, including DVD-R discs that have not been finalized!!! The draw is quiet and the disc spin is unheard! I can't imagine the 330 being much different, if anything it should be better!!
Maybe you had one of a dodgy batch?!

Its a common problem on the 330 or at least frame skipping is. Its a nice player but the dvd loader is poor and spoils an otherwise great package.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom