1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend console sites?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by cerebros, Dec 1, 2003.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The gf and I are considering getting a console, most likely a PS2 (so the gf can also use cheap PS1 games), but possibly an X-Box instead....

Can anyone recommend any decent websites that do a good job of explaining the current pro's and con's of each platform, plus what the best games in particular categories are?

We're mainly looking at driving games, preferably ones with good 2 player options... er, not sure if we'd be playing anything else as for strategy or FPS games I'd be using my PC...

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not sure there's much out there regarding the pros and cons of each hardware choice - and it may not be impartial if it is out there! Not like here, of course :laugh:

In terms of software reviews, you'll find a large collection for both consoles (and the Gamecube, amongst others) at:

www.ntsc-uk.com
    www.computerandvideogames.com
    www.gamesradar.com
    www.totalgames.net

The latter three sites host copies of their magazines' reviews, with the former being a fan site.

If driving or racing games are your thing, then you really can't go wrong with either option. It's really a case of 'six of one...' as for every good title on one console, there's sure to be an equivalent (or 'port'!) on its competitor and it may depend on how much you rate video or audio in the scheme of things. Although by no means a certainty, the Xbox can produce a more refined image and has the benefit of 5.1 audio through the appropriate connections.

Despite the supposed advantages of the MS hardware, however, two of my favourite racing games are the rather aged Gran Turismo and Ferrari F355 Challenge. For me, the former still has some of the nicest graphics and audio around (not to mention about a gazillion vehicles :laugh: ) and the latter, recently bought, some of the worst - but with all that counts: gameplay :clap:

On Xbox, my favourites include either of the two MotoGP titles (MotoGP and MotoGP 2, oddly enough) and Colin McRae 04 (also available on PS2).

Having only played McRae 04 via a 2-player 'taking turns' option, I don't recall if a split screen mode is available; but such a mode exists with each of the other titles listed above (with MotoGP having given some rather spectacular and... FUN! gaming moments (with great use of 5.1 for locating competitors, too).

I was going to add to the confusion with mention of the PS2 backward compatibility; but, er... you've done that! Although it has become less so for me over time, it has proved to be a nice feature and a nice reassurance that I still have hardware capable of playing those old games that I'm still looking for.

I'll leave it there for now and wish you 'happy gaming'. Enjoy your reading too; there's a lot out there!

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, these forums have a ton of information amongst the old "PS2 Vs XBox" or "Which console is best?" threads. But, you've got to siphon through a lot of emotional responses with nothing to back them up.

4. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm actually currently writing a console buyer's guide specifically answering those questions. It should be online tomorrow, so I'll post a link then if you like.

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Mind if we rip it apart Willy with our fanboy comments! :p

hehe

6. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a problem mate. I'm expecting abuse from all quarters when it goes online!

Actually it's not that controversial (I think) - just common sense stuff mostly.

7. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Willy - yes, please post the link up, I would be interested in reading that.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    One thing that I must admit confuses me about the X-box (or maybe this is just a result of me never having owned a console before) is that from a few bits & pieces I've read (on both UK & US X-box's) is that whether a game supports widescreen or not seems to be down to the individual game. Is this right?

9. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but I think that's the same with all consoles. If it doesn't have a widescreen mode you don't necessarily have borders, it will just stretch the image to cover the screen. This bothers some people, but it has never been a problem for me. In fact, for certain games I like it (such as the Pro Evolution Soccer series).

When a game does have widescreen support it just shows you more at the sides. To me it's great if the game has it, but no problem if it doesn't.

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Wheres this article willy? Is it posted up yet?

11. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, there's an additional story. The link is under the first image, but people often miss them.

13. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good stuff. To the point and unbiased. :smashin:

14. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I believe myself to be objective (um, I'm sure everyone does though! ), but it's difficult to write this sort of thing without upsetting someone. I'd have liked to go into more depth, but target audience & word limit were obviously of primary importance.

15. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Just another quick question for now...

I can't seem to find anywhere that says just what video cable comes in the standard (or any) Xbox package... However, going by the naming on www.xbox.com, can I take it that it comes with the "Standard AV cable"?

Or in other words, I'm going to have to spend another £20 for the Advanced SCART in order to get RGB and an optical output? (I take it the lead with component output isn't officially available for the UK? Can I use them if I import a connector, or do I need a modded Xbox?)

16. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    You get a standard scart with the Xbox, so YES you need to buy the hi-def kit or whatever it's called!

17. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thought as much... Don't call 'em Micro$oft for nothing...

18. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want RGB you need an RGB cable. The Advanced RGB cable is a good option. If you want component you need the High Definition kit. Both this one and the Advanced RGB cable have optical out ports for hooking up to surround sound.

MS were a little cheeky by only putting the optical out on the additional cables, but selling with a standard composite scart seems to be standard practice now. They're no worse than Sony & Nintendo in that respect.