Recommend an Efficient Mask

I've ended up ordering one of those Buff things. As / if I (ever) go out again I'll just wear it as a scarf and pull it up as a mask whenever I go in anywhere.

M&S have now started selling surgical style disposable masks - pack of 3 for £3.
Definitely a better / quicker option than getting scalped on ebay, etc!

M&S have now started selling surgical style disposable masks - pack of 3 for £3.
Definitely a better / quicker option than getting scalped on ebay, etc!
£3 for three disposable non FFP2 masks 😂 better than getting scalped on eBay 😂😂😂

No thank you. That is just outrageous profiteering.

£3 for three disposable non FFP2 masks 😂 better than getting scalped on eBay 😂😂😂

No thank you. That is just outrageous profiteering.
Fair enough - seemed perfectly reasonable to me in the current climate unless one starts buying in bulk!

Where would you buy from on the high street at a better price please? Always happy to be educated.

Fair enough - seemed perfectly reasonable to me in the current climate unless one starts buying in bulk!

Where would you buy from on the high street at a better price please? Always happy to be educated.
I got mine from Screwfix, although that wasn’t the point. £3 for 3 disposable surgical masks is scalping as well.

Asian countries figured this out years ago - don't know why it's taken so long for other countries to believe what seems to be fairly obvious?

FFP2 masks and above are great if you have access to them, are in high risk situations, or frankly are mildly paranoid - but anything at all over one's nose / mouth is much better than nothing (and not just for protecting yourself, but for protecting others).

Here's a video from Japan illustrating why even paper towels are better than nothing at all

I got mine from Screwfix, although that wasn’t the point. £3 for 3 disposable surgical masks is scalping as well.
Sure, I appreciate the point you were trying to make.
I posted the M&S info in case anyone *quickly* needed a mask whilst they're were out shopping, etc.
Obviously there are better options available if you have the time or resources.

Elasticated 3PLY Face Mask - This face mask is a non-fluid resistant mask, meaning it does not provide barrier protection against respiratory droplets/splashes. It does not provide protection from aerosols (airborne viral particles). It offers 95% bacterial filtration efficiency.

Soft Loop 3PLY Face Mask - This face mask is fluid resistant which provides barrier protection against respiratory droplets/splashes but not from aerosols (airborne viral particles). It offers 98% bacterial filtration efficiency.

So, the soft loop ones would be the ones to go for? Assuming that you are using them as a measure to protect others?

Elasticated 3PLY Face Mask - This face mask is a non-fluid resistant mask, meaning it does not provide barrier protection against respiratory droplets/splashes. It does not provide protection from aerosols (airborne viral particles). It offers 95% bacterial filtration efficiency.

Soft Loop 3PLY Face Mask - This face mask is fluid resistant which provides barrier protection against respiratory droplets/splashes but not from aerosols (airborne viral particles). It offers 98% bacterial filtration efficiency.

So, the soft loop ones would be the ones to go for? Assuming that you are using them as a measure to protect others?
Don’t think so. Covid is an airborne virus so they would be no good.

While not an expert on these I'd say the soft loop one would be the better of the two if you wanted to protect others (and yourself for that matter). It's more equivalent to the surgical face masks dentists used to stop anything nasty coming from their mouths when they are having their sadistic fun with your teeth :eek:

If you wanted to be really sure there are the likes of these at a more higher costs which go into detail about the construction and meeting various certifications https://www.medisave.co.uk/surgical-face-masks-type-ii-x-50.html

The Boots ones meet EN 14683 as do the ones above. However there is no mention of meeting type IIR standard which the ones above do.

standard.jpg

Don’t think so. Covid is an airborne virus so they would be no good.
Sars-Cov-19 isn't an airborne virus
They Say Coronavirus Isn't Airborne—but It's Definitely Borne by Air

Last edited:
Hmm... I may get the Groucho one but they look huge!

Hmm... I may get the Groucho one but they look huge!
Bigger may be better. I bought a MEO light, having measured my face and I find it a bit too short. (Their measurement was ear to ear). It may be I have too many chins of course

be careful buying n95 masks as their are a lot of fakes out there, in fact HSE-health and safety executive has put a stop sale order unless they are appropiately marked and certified namely CE.

The ffp masks are much better than surgical masks, however they should be independently tested to ensure they fit correctly( 'fit testing') especially if you are using them in a compromised environment.

The evidence base for prevention of systemic spread of COVID-10 from countries that have worn masks suggests simple face masks have done quite well. Even just home-made ones.

I don't think there is a country in the world where they've had to all wear N95 masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The main premise and reasoning behind wearing mask is to prevent you from other people. Combined with social distancing and if everyone does it, its going to be fairly good at the getting the desired outcome.

Its a tiny bit late though.

The evidence base for prevention of systemic spread of COVID-10 from countries that have worn masks suggests simple face masks have done quite well. Even just home-made ones.

I don't think there is a country in the world where they've had to all wear N95 masks to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The main premise and reasoning behind wearing mask is to prevent you from other people. Combined with social distancing and if everyone does it, its going to be fairly good at the getting the desired outcome.

Its a tiny bit late though.
This 👆

People should be forced to wear them.

I had to pop into a shop the other day and I overheard a snide comment about me wearing a mask. I waited to see if he said anything to me but he didn't even look at me. Tosser!

Oh, and the woman serving was coughing into her hands so I put back what I went in for and walked out.

People should be forced to wear them.

I had to pop into a shop the other day and I overheard a snide comment about me wearing a mask. I waited to see if he said anything to me but he didn't even look at me. Tosser!

Oh, and the woman serving was coughing into her hands so I put back what I went in for and walked out.
Reminds me in Tesco the other day. The cashier put me off when she was shoving loads of sweets in her mouth then didn’t sanitize her fingers before handling my shopping.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom