Quantcast

Recommend an Efficient Mask

EUarmy

I know some masks are next to useless in blocking the virus; but I'm not sure which one is the most appropriate. Many types of masks are sold out. I want one to wear one when shopping in a supermarket. Thanks.

Lots of discussion already had on this. Including explanations why.

As a minimum you’d want one that is FFP2 or N95 certified. But be warned; be cleanly shaven to ensure a good seal. And when you have it, it’s uncomfortable to breathe. If it isn’t then you haven’t fitted it properly and it’s leaking somewhere.

JulianDS

the ‘ideal’ is FFP3 for which you would have had the fit checked for no leakage - getting a fit check is not really a possibility for most people, although it is worth highlighting that when i see people wearing masks (of whatever type) the vast majority are simply not worn properly with gaping holes everywhere.

Fundamentally, unless you are in full PPE (which isn’t going to happen) - it is all about risk management, and reducing your risk as best you can. If you want to wear a mask, get the best mask that you can (P3 hard to get hold of) (or simply just stay away from everyone else as best your can) and make sure it is well adapted. Most importantly, wipe any trolley or basket, don’t touch your face and wash your hands. Gloves may also be helpful, but again, I see many people using them wrongly, I.e. wearing a pair of gloves and then acting just the same - touching everything.

Sonic67

Banned
I note GSR's are available. They shouldn't be as they are an ACTO item.

They are better than an S10 due to the second filter in the cheek area.

If you want proper biological protection get a GSR.

Otherwise get a piece of cloth and some elastic bands. They do just the same. Yeah right.

the ‘ideal’ is FFP3 for which you would have had the fit checked for no leakage - getting a fit check is not really a possibility for most people, although it is worth highlighting that when i see people wearing masks (of whatever type) the vast majority are simply not worn properly with gaping holes everywhere.

Fundamentally, unless you are in full PPE (which isn’t going to happen) - it is all about risk management, and reducing your risk as best you can. If you want to wear a mask, get the best mask that you can (P3 hard to get hold of) (or simply just stay away from everyone else as best your can) and make sure it is well adapted. Most importantly, wipe any trolley or basket, don’t touch your face and wash your hands. Gloves may also be helpful, but again, I see many people using them wrongly, I.e. wearing a pair of gloves and then acting just the same - touching everything.
That blocks 99%. I dare anyone without training to wear that for more than 30 minutes. Sure it’s a good level, but strictly speaking not necessary for the ordinary user and the size of this virus.

Chocci

Any mask is better than none . Anything that stops you touching your mouth or nose has to have some effect. The big mistake the eu and USA are making is not wearing them. You only have to look at japan, China and South Korea to see their effectiveness.

Whilst there is some secondary truth in that, the generalisation is simply not true. So many of those mask don't do anything at all, that provides a false sense of security. And then they are worn wrongly with gaping holes everywhere making them totally pointless and cause people to fiddle with them and thus actually increase the touching.

Social distancing and washing your hands are essential.

andrewt9763

Had one fitted here,
connected to a machine and did various tests for around 15-20 minutes stepping on and off a box while looking from side to side then up and down etc.
This is probably the only mask fit that would give you solid protection.
Although as others have said anything is better than nothing

Although as others have said anything is better than nothing
Hmm, that is the thing though. When it goes straight through, if anything better than nothing other than being a placebo and perhaps make the wearer feel a bit better? I think it is a false sense of security and as such dangerous.

I'm getting mixed messages here.

Should I wear a mask or not?
If you have the correct mask, fit it well, then I would wear it when interacting with people. Like doing your shopping on an essential journey.

If you don't have the correct mask, or not meeting anyone outside your non-infected household then it is pointless.

hunt808

I agree it's very hard to get a mask to block 100% of viruses, but any mask is better than nothing. The simple fabric masks regularly worn by doctors don't fit perfectly (there's lots of air movement around the sides of the nose) but they help prevent the spread of disease. That's been proven by many studies...hence why they wear them. The widespread use of masks in countries like South Korea is one reason why they've been able to contain the spread of viral infections like SARS etc. better than western countries.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
The FFP2 DIY masks for sanding or laying loft insulation have a better fit than surgical face masks but not as effective in filtration of small virus sized particles.
The surgical face masks are more effective with filtration of small virus sized particles but don't have as close a fit.
The best option if you have both is to wear both at the same time. FFP2 on the face and the mask covering it. Breathing through both would be harder but for a limited time of wearing, say for a supermarket shop would be OK.

Sonic67

Banned
I agree it's very hard to get a mask to block 100% of viruses, but any mask is better than nothing.
They can be unhygenic if not changed regularly. They can give a false sense of security. Could encourage panic, might even mean shortages for those who really need them. You are supposed to wear them once only. Do we have enough, literally millions?
That's been proven by many studies...hence why they wear them. The widespread use of masks in countries like South Korea is one reason why they've been able to contain the spread of viral infections like SARS etc. better than western countries.
If you are in close contact then they can have a use. Why are you in close contact with others?

The FFP2 DIY masks for sanding or laying loft insulation have a better fit than surgical face masks but not as effective in filtration of small virus sized particles.
The surgical face masks are more effective with filtration of small virus sized particles but don't have as close a fit.
The best option if you have both is to wear both at the same time. FFP2 on the face and the mask covering it. Breathing through both would be harder but for a limited time of wearing, say for a supermarket shop would be OK.
Actually FFP2 is effective. The size of a coronavirus moves with a Brownian motion and does get stopped by those.

Sonic67

Banned

N95 masks are standard-issue industrial face masks and are used in construction and many manufacturing facilities. But in checking, it was found that average citizens were buying the boxes of masks. One person bought 30 boxes, And they were soon sold out.

Dr. David Carrington, of St George's, University of London, told BBC News "routine surgical masks for the public are not an effective protection against viruses or bacteria carried in the air." This is how most viruses are transmitted, said Carrington, adding that the surgical masks have no air filter and leave the eyes exposed.

However, the masks do prevent receiving a "splash" from a cough or sneeze and offer some protection against hand-to-mouth transmissions.

Danuta Skowronski, with the British Columbia, Canada Centre for Disease Control, told CBC Canada that the agency is not recommending that people use the masks for protection, and said it would be unlikely the agency would ever issue such a directive.

"That is a huge cost with no proven benefit. It could run the risk of draining our supply of masks for the real indications that we have in the health-care system, and even from an environmental perspective, it's ill-advised," she said.

She went on to say that the only time they would recommend wearing a face mask is when someone has symptoms and is entering a health-care facility for treatment.

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
George Gao, head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention
Q: What mistakes are other countries making?

A: The big mistake in the U.S. and Europe, in my opinion, is that people aren’t wearing masks. This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role—you’ve got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth. Many people have asymptomatic or presymptomatic infections. If they are wearing face masks, it can prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others.

Issued by the Office of the Principal Scientific Advisor to the Government of India_ March 30, 2020
A full guide to making home made masks
http://164.100.117.97/WriteReadData/userfiles/FINAL MASK MANUAL.pdf

The Prime Minister of Slovakia released this statement after making masks mandatory: The WHO says “that only those infected should wear a mask. Only the future will show which countries have chosen the right approach and which haven’t.”

#Masks4All: Make and wear a homemade mask to slow COVID-19 spread

“Wearing a simple cloth mask, decreases the spread of the virus by 80%! Czech Republic has made it OBLIGATORY for its citizens to wear a mask in public.” –Prime Minister of the Czech Republic

“The Czech Republic is one of the few in Europe that has significantly slowed down the spread of the virus,” the narrator says. “The main difference is that everyone who has to leave their house has to wear a mask.”
Czechs get to work making masks after government decree

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday ordered all Israelis to wear face masks in public as part of the country's efforts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Netanyahu says all Israelis must wear face masks in public

Countries, cities, and health authorities all over the world are reconsidering their coronavirus advice that most people don't need to wear masks.
Austria announced on Monday a new rule requiring people to wear masks when they go outside.
three European countries — Slovakia, the Czech Republic, and Bosnia-Herzegovina — have already made the wearing of face masks in public a requirement, according to The Financial Times.

Countries, cities, and health authorities all over the world are reconsidering their coronavirus advice that most people don't need to wear masks

Last edited:

andrewt9763

I’ve got one of these I use for work.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Feel free to disagree, but I do feel that initially the plan was, and still might be a little to avoid the public mass buying masks, when they are/were needed by the health service.

My feeling on if they work or not is that I agree that, if you maintain 2m or ideally more between people then, probably they are not needed.
However, if you have no choice but to get a LOT nearer people, perhaps a tube train, a bus on in the workplace, then, a face mask will without any doubt in my mind offer you more protection than not wearing one.
Anything that stops any percentage of liquid! from someone else's mouth/nose transferring into your lungs is a positive, even if it's not 100%
It's no good saying "if you keep 2m away you don't need one" is a worthless statement is that's not possible,

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Feel free to disagree, but I do feel that initially the plan was, and still might be a little to avoid the public mass buying masks, when they are/were needed by the health service.
I'd fully agree that was the reason why the western public was advised masks are useless in direct contrast to the asian countries which used masks and have seen much lower infection rates

6c1be797-5108-401d-8bca-b2f3da8d0870.jpeg

These countries have also done much larger testing.
My feeling on if they work or not is that I agree that, if you maintain 2m or ideally more between people then, probably they are not needed.
However, if you have no choice but to get a LOT nearer people, perhaps a tube train, a bus on in the workplace, then, a face mask will without any doubt in my mind offer you more protection than not wearing one.
Anything that stops any percentage of liquid! from someone else's mouth/nose transferring into your lungs is a positive, even if it's not 100%
It's no good saying "if you keep 2m away you don't need one" is a worthless statement is that's not possible,
Especially when distances of up to 27 feet are now being mentioned....
Coronavirus can travel 27ft, expert warns

Latest News

CES 2021 to go ahead 'in person'
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips 800 Series OLED TVs come to UK in July
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 31st May 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
MQA expands global partnerships for high end experience