1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend an Amp with a quality phono stage?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Grasshopper, May 20, 2004.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I have a set of AE Evo 3's and a Pioneer VSXD812 A/V amp that has a pre-out for the fornt speakers (this amp arrives on friday so I haven't heard it as yet).

I imagine that the stereo reproduction of the Pioneer won't be as good as a specific Audio amp and it doesnt have a phono stage either.

I could buy a seperate phono stage like the Musical Fidelity X-LP MM/Mc Phono amp for around £100 but think I'd just prefer a decent amp with a phono input.

The Audiolab 8000A has a renowned phono stage but not sure of the power to drive the speakers so the pre/power pair 8000S/8000P would be a better choice but starting to get pricey!

The Marantz PM7200 gets good reviews but I'm not sure of the phono stage on it. Does anyone have experience of this amp?

Suggestions anyone? Oh, and around the £300 mark!

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    From what i have read very few inbuilt phono stages are as good as external ones untill you start spending real money. I have a rxv1400 with a built in phono stage which works very well. :thumbsup: I still want to borrow my friends project phone stage to see if it is better or worse.

Nad also make a very good quality phono stage worth considering. Also look at there stereo amps not sure if they have phono stages built in but great amps.

3. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For £300 it will be far wiser to get an off board phono stage,they slaughter on board ones found on some integrateds.

For well under how much you want to spend you can get the little Creek obh series,a Graham Slee amp 2SE or for a bit more a Lehmann Black Cube,all of these would give you far greater satisfaction from vinyl.

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    What equipment will be plugged in via the phono?

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Agree, you're better off with an outboard unit.
    I myself bought a second hand Audio Fidelity X-LPS (miniature beer barrel) and it sounds very sweet.
    Barend