• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommend a Watch Please

mikenw

Established Member
I am looking for a new watch anywhere between £100 - £500, and need some ideas please, all I have seen so far are citizens and Seiko's are these any good?

The only criteria is a metal strap, and suitable for work.

Any suggests would be welcome?

:thumbsup:

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
There are decent cheap watches, if its just everyday use £100 is a bit excessive.

What are you going to be using it for and what features do you need ?

dts_boy

Prominent Member
I've got a citizen as my everyday watch. Gr it for approx £250 6 years ago, I own more expensive watches but this is my fave!
Made from titanium and using light for power it keeps time very well and is very comfortable.
It's a very personal thing though, this being the only bit of jewellery I wear.

mikenw

Established Member
Thanks to both so far:)

I was looking to spend a decent amount as I am looking to keep it long term, appreciate this is not Omega money, and nor was I trolling to start a £10 casio watch vs. £4000 thread.

All help would be great :)

MoFoHo

Prominent Member

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
Son and husband both have citizen watches. They've lasted well and, judging by the fact that they are worn all day every day, must be comfortable

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You can't really go wrong with Hamilton on that budget. Plenty of different styles. Steinhart also good. If you're after a diving watch, for that budget you can't beat Seiko. The likes of the 'Sumo' eg SBDC001, 'Monster' and SKJ models are hard to beat. Creationwatches.com sell a good selection. I've used them a couple of times so can recommend them.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I got one of these a few months back.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Gents-Watch-Radio-LCW-M150TD-1AER/dp/B003ZUXTVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323385085&sr=8-1

Best watch I've ever owned by a mile.

Solar powered, radio controlled, titanium, slim and lovely looking.
£300 for casio you might think is excessive, but this is Casio trying to go up market and it's a bargain IMO.

That is a nice looking watch, but unless I wax my arms I cannot buy ones with straps like that. Tried wearing those before and it kept pulling my hairs out its like i was being tortured for information lol

Simba

Distinguished Member
I would have a look at the Bulova Precisionist series, very nice watches at a very good price.

http://bulovaprecisionist.com/en/collections/

Or the Bulova Marine Star series

Wow those are really nice.

Never heard of Bulova before ....doing a quick search however and they appear to be well grounded in the industry with huge history.

Parent company is Citizen also which is reassuring ...

John

Have has a Citizen Ecodrive for 18months, I think, now. Think its great. Cost more now then when I bought it, funnily enough

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Bulova are one of those makes that the annoying, but strangely compulsive, American bloke sells on the 'V' channel.

"look at this waaaatch guys, look at it" :)

Then he'll mention his terrific price, only for amazon to be selling then for half that.
I would say in the price bracket you're looking at Tissot or Hamilton are the brands I'd (and do) have.
£500 would also get you a pre-owned Tag Heuer, maybe something from the F1 range.
I don't like the normal F1, but I do like and own a 'grande date' model.
It was £400 nearly new from a collector with all the cards/receipts etc.

[email protected]

Prominent Member
I think Bulova are one of those makes that sit under the radar. Primarily an American brand and maybe not that well known over here as a quality brand but they've been around for a long time. The wikipedia entry makes interesting reading.

I have several Seikos and other makes but the Bulova is my weapon of choice at the moment.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
I cant remember the name of it but have a look at the Casio watch that the red bull F1 drivers wear. My dad has one and it is a very nice looknig watch.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Another :thumbsup: for Citizen Eco Drive watches, no battery to replace! I :love: mine

No battery to replace in an automatic watch either.:smashin:
Plenty of Hamilton automatics in the ~£500 price range.
Example below reduced from for £360 to £324

http://www.creativewatch.co.uk/pimages/khaki-king-automatic-watch-h64455133.jpg

Another example reduced from £ 600.00 to £ 540.00

http://www.creativewatch.co.uk/pimages/navy-gmt-automatic-watch-h77615133.jpg

The second one is very like my Hamilton, and it really is a quality item.
Build quality easily right up there with £1000+ watches.

Last edited:

Simba

Distinguished Member
These Hamilton watches - what's so special about them, I mean are the just pretty watches or is their fancy tech inside also that makes them stand apart ?

I usually like a brand with interesting history and innovation.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit OP but some nice stuff contributed in this thread :)

Argos have a nice Eco drive for £99. Il find a linky....

MoFoHo

Prominent Member

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Simba said:
These Hamilton watches - what's so special about them, I mean are the just pretty watches or is their fancy tech inside also that makes them stand apart ?..

It's their build quality and reliable automatic movements.
Easily as good as much more expensive watches.
Every aspect of finish on my Hamilton is lovely and very well put together.
As for history/background, they are a long running American company now owned by the swatch group.
Elvis wore a Hamilton and hamiltons featured heavily in the 'men in black' movies.
They've also been seen in programmes like 'heroes' and 'scrubs' etc.
Mine was designed by harrison ford and is a 'signature' model.
IMO you really don't get better for the money.
I've nothing against citizen etc, but they're not a patch on a Hamilton.

Last edited:

MoFoHo

Prominent Member

Simba

Distinguished Member
It's their build quality and reliable automatic movements.
Easily as good as much more expensive watches.
Every aspect of finish on my Hamilton is lovely and very well put together.
As for history/background, they are a long running American company now owned by the swatch group.
Elvis wore a Hamilton and hamiltons featured heavily in the 'men in black' movies.
They've also been seen in programmes like 'heroes' and 'scrubs' etc.
Mine was designed by harrison ford and is a 'signature' model.
IMO you really don't get better for the money.
I've nothing against citizen etc, but they're not a patch on a Hamilton.

interesting .....cheers dude :)

njdbaxter

Prominent Member
i bought the citizen blue angels skyhawk watch on monday.

the radio control gadget on watches is pretty poor as the signal is from germany and very hard to pick up in most of the UK due to interferance.

plus why is is needed? watches such as citizen should be accurate and never need adjusted, plus top range citizen watches have 47 cities time zones stored (well mine does)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom