Question Recommend a turntable for VSX-2021

0zz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello there, first time poster and enthusiastic amateur audio geek. I've recently purchased a pioneer vsx-2021, still in the process of setting it up but already quite happy with how it handles my setup.

I'm now looking to add a turntable to it so that we can listen to our old vinyl collection. As I understand the vsx2021 doesn't have phono inputs so I'm looking to buy a turntable with built in pre-amp, somewhere around the £150-200 mark, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
0zz

Great review and it's a nice looking piece of kit! From a technical point of view, how is it better than the at-lp60usb, which is about £100 cheaper and has a USB out for ripping vinyls?

I don't know. I spotted this review the other day. It looked simple, got a good write up and is within your budget, just posting the link as an option

Your budget is very low. So, we have to ask, what quality of turntable do you want.

This is about as low as you can go and still get a quality turntable.

Reloop RP1000M DJ Turntable - Superfi

You can look up YouTube videos on the Reloop RP1000M to get a better idea of what it looks like and what people's opinions are of it.

If you can raise your budget, this is probably a better choice -

Audio Technica ATLP120USBC USB Turntable - Superfi

You can find many YouTube videos on the Audio Technica AT-LP120, generally very well regarded.

There are a few other choices in the same price range as the Reloop. For example, there are a couple of Lenco models that look good for under £200.

Lenco L90 USB Turntable with Built in Pre Amplifier - Superfi

Lenco L3807 Professional Turntable - Superfi

If you are absolutely determined to spend less money, then the following turntables are adequate, but just adequate -

Denon DP200USB USB Turntable - Superfi

Audio Technica ATLP60USB USB Turntable - Superfi

Steve/bluewizard

Great review and it's a nice looking piece of kit! From a technical point of view, how is it better than the at-lp60usb, which is about £100 cheaper and has a USB out for ripping vinyls?

The quality of the turntable hinges primarily on two components - the quality of the Tonearm, and the quality of the Cartridge, and to a secondary extent, the quality and precision of the motor speed control.

Turntables like the Audio Technical LP60 have crap Tonearms. Compare the Tonearm on the AT-LP60 to that of the more expensive AT-LP120 - Big difference.

Next the Cartridge, while all these turntable will come with a pretty generic cartridge, the one that comes with the LP60 tracks at about 3 grams, where as the one the comes with the LP120 tracks at about 1.5g. The LP60 won't kill your records, but it won't do them any favors either.

Based on photos I found, while the Audio Technica AT-LP3 is somewhat low cost, it does appear to have a decent tonearm.

Audio-Technica AT-LP3 Turntable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

AT-LP3 - Fully Automatic Belt-Drive Stereo Turntable with Universal Tonearm & Headshell | Audio-Technica

I think the LP3 is just the LP60 with a better Tonearm. But a better Tonearm is what counts.

But if you specifically want a quality turntable with USB capability, then raise your budget to the Audio Technica LP120 -

AT-LP120-USBHC - Direct-Drive Professional Turntable | Audio-Technica

AT-LP120USBHC_BK-500x500.jpg

AT-LP120USBHC_SV-500x500.jpg

Here is the RELOOP RP1000M (belt driver, manual) -

Reloop RP-1000M

227951_Reloop_TP.png

Though not a real clear photo, you can seem the Tonearm on the AT-LP60 is pretty crude -

AT-LP60-USB

at_lp60_usb_1_sq-500x500.jpg

Here is a Side View of the LP60 better showing the Tonearm, again, effective but very crude -

https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/5_...6/audio-technica-at-lp60-product-photos05.jpg

Get the LP60USB if you must, but the LP120USB is a massively better turntable.

Or the Reloop RP1000, but I don't think it has USB. Though you can still record to a computer without USB.

Steve/bluewizard

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ok, putting aside the USB as that's not really a big concern (as you say there are other ways), the lenco looks good as does the lp3, and over here they're only 50€ different. I can't really stretch to more (just had a kid which is sucking all my spare cash!) so out of the 2 which would you go for?

Thanks for the detailed reply too, really helps to understand the technical side!

Hi there, just a follow up to this thread, I ended up getting the reloop, got it all set up before realizing it only has a line out . .

My bad for not properly checking the description, now I either have to exchange it or buy a pre amp. Also the relook doesn't come with a dust cover so the real price is about 30 quid more.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom