Recommend a slim centre speaker please

superloopy

Standard Member
Hi guys, i'm building a HT/music based system (60/40] system and intended to source Kef 50 metas all round to do this.
But, my first hurdle ... i have little room to fit an LS50 on its side as a centre speaker so need a matching, as far as possible, centre speaker with a height of les than 17cm otherwise my Marantz SR7012 will need to go. Anyone any suggestions. Ive checked KEF centres and they are all too high. Music playback will be mainly using the front two metas via passthru, not altogether sure on that one but little or no surround sound, atmos music is planned. Centre needs to be matched ok with the front pair.

josefK666

That's quite a tough restriction there if you're looking for quality centre speakers. So much so that I'd be tempted to ask what you think of the phantom centre with the LS50's? My R3's did a great job and whilst I prefer my set up now with the R2c I did have to get a bespoke stand made to make it all come together. If you're already forced to compromise with a different brand centre speaker, possibly lesser quality, then you may as well test out the other compromise (phantom centre) which has the added bonus of being free.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi guys, i'm building a HT/music based system (60/40] system and intended to source Kef 50 metas all round to do this.
But, my first hurdle ... i have little room to fit an LS50 on its side as a centre speaker so need a matching, as far as possible, centre speaker with a height of les than 17cm otherwise my Marantz SR7012 will need to go. Anyone any suggestions. Ive checked KEF centres and they are all too high. Music playback will be mainly using the front two metas via passthru, not altogether sure on that one but little or no surround sound, atmos music is planned. Centre needs to be matched ok with the front pair.

Can`t you consider new av-unit to fit the third LS50 Meta or wall mounting tv / buying floor tv stand that goes behind and under your av-unit and the height adjustability means tv goes higher so the taller centre fits on top of your unit?!

For the surround speakers you mentioned in other thread perhaps used LS50 pair or Kef HTS3001 = Kef Eggs or if you can find pair of R100 used then those would be great too!

22bcb057-fb0c-452e-97ac-992798f9797c-jpeg.1405348

One royal blue LS50 Meta pair if you feel matching finish is required at the back of room.

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member

The old Kef 200 is around 17cm. I have one. Good center, but don't know how well it matches the LS50.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Have you not thought about trying it without a centre and run the centre in phantom mode. I understand we all enjoy a centre to produce the extra lift, but if the amp is good enough to work in this mode and lift the centre, you might find that its enough

If you must have a matching centre, then if you can obtain a matching single LS50 meta, then it makes sense if you can accommodate it

Steve Burling

I have just updated my LCR and considering the the wife’s lack of interest in this home cinema hobby, I had to take into account looks and considering her feelings as this is in our lounge. So I went with the Polks R200, R900 and the slim centre R350. The centre is like the look of a sound bar. The system sound great

Hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom