Recommend a screen (good for 4k and 3D) for Optoma UHD42 in a room with some daytime light issues

fatbustard

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend me a projector screen for a moderately lit up room with a Optoma UHD42 to be ceiling mounted? I have made some calculations using tables I have found online, but the results appear a little dubious as the figures culled from different tables were somewhat different as I can recall.

Some details below about the projector

DLP
UHD (3840x2160)
3,400 lumens
Contrast ratio 500,000:1

Details about the room (floorplan attached)

Townhouse with open plan living room and kitchen, quite long wide but the width is only about 320cm, with the distance from projector lens to screen roughtly 280cm.

Large windows at either end of lenght Venetian blinds on nearest side which do quite a good job of blocking out the light. Other side window is uncovered but quite a way from the screen.

A few questions how do you find out the recommended size of the image for this projector? I downloaded the manual and it did not say that, although have seen the recommended size quoted for other projectors.

Secondly, what would be the best size and type of projector for reasonable money? On an online calculator when I put in the Model and the distance available, I was informed that the screen could only be 81 inches! Is that correct? The Samsung TV I was considering as an alternative is slightly larger than that and far more convenient. I really hope this is not correct. I want to watch 4K and 3D too, and not have too much ambient light interference. I also dont want to pay stupid money for a screen - in fact I wonder if it is worth buying a cheap one and then getting a decent fabric from Alibab to cover it - I am sure that can't be an instant premium screen, but how far I could is something that interests me. Looking forward to some useful answers. Thanks.

Attachments

• floorplan.jpg
    floorplan.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 220
Hi, I have just changed mine yesterday to one of these, the screen although mat finish reflects glossy tones and seems to be brighter than other mat screens I have used. Took me 20 mins to fit. Only had it one day mind you and for 65 quid I can’t complain. Lightweight and a nice smooth quiet motor which remote control supports both IR and RF.

Thanks for the recommendation, and it looks great value, but only 72"? I could have got a Samsung QLED 70R that was 75% for not too much money recently, and I opted for a projector so I could have a bigger screen. Was kind of hoping for 120" plus but no longer sure how much I could get with that distance and this non short throw projector.

No worries, if I were you I would firstly project directly on to your wall and then optimise your projection viewing size. That will then determine the correct size screen. Ideally full screen display without any zooming in/out from the distance to the lens. You might struggle to get 120” from that distance but refer to your projector manual.

No worries, if I were you I would firstly project directly on to your wall and then optimise your projection viewing size. That will then determine the correct size screen. Ideally full screen display without any zooming in/out from the distance to the lens. You might struggle to get 120” from that distance but refer to your projector manual.

Unfortunately there is no manual that came with it just a piece of card which I think is probably the quick setup guide. I have downloaded the PDF but it does not state a recommended size for the projection. Looking on the Optoma calculator, it looks like 80" to 100" is likely, although a bit disappointing. I could get more distance from the length of the my kitchen-dining room, but that would mean I could not longe use my home theatre audio setup which was built at no small time and expense, and is not practical for other reasons either. I hope it is more like 100" than 80" though as I may as well have bought a television for that and saved a lot of ball ache.

I can't projet on the wall as there is loads of cabling and trunking, so a cheap screen can cover it.

Ordered this for £65 including express delivery: Homegear 100” 16:9 HD/3D Electric Projector Screen

Even if not fantastic, I can't whine for that kind of money, but I hope I will be impressed by the combination of that and the projector. Thanks

Unfortunately there is no manual that came with it just a piece of card which I think is probably the quick setup guide. I have downloaded the PDF but it does not state a recommended size for the projection. Looking on the Optoma calculator, it looks like 80" to 100" is likely, although a bit disappointing. I could get more distance from the length of the my kitchen-dining room, but that would mean I could not longe use my home theatre audio setup which was built at no small time and expense, and is not practical for other reasons either. I hope it is more like 100" than 80" though as I may as well have bought a television for that and saved a lot of ball ache.

I can't projet on the wall as there is loads of cabling and trunking, so a cheap screen can cover it.

Ordered this for £65 including express delivery: Homegear 100” 16:9 HD/3D Electric Projector Screen

Even if not fantastic, I can't whine for that kind of money, but I hope I will be impressed by the combination of that and the projector. Thanks

to get your 100” target you’ll be looking (roughly) at the following distances between screen and lens. These are not specific for your projector but may give some indicative guidance

Attachments

• 19C5A179-2C04-408A-A995-2B893F3966AD.jpeg
    19C5A179-2C04-408A-A995-2B893F3966AD.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 239
to get your 100” target you’ll be looking (roughly) at the following distances between screen and lens. These are not specific for your projector but may give some indicative guidance

Yes, that largely supports what is given on the Optoma site between 80 and 100 inches. Won't know for sure until I try it. I am taken aback by the length of it actually which on a 100 inch screen be around 87 inches. Thank flip I did not get the 120" as I'm not sure this will even fit.

IMO you might want to stick to a standard 16:9 screen size if your screen is off the shelf. For no real reason other than the dark borders they provide, which give a clean contrast and help reduce the effect of “blleed”. You should be able to tweak your projection size down very slightly 1-2% to get the sweet spot. Keep us updated 👍🏼

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom