Recommend a sat pvr that supports series-link and a motorized setup?

roystonchris

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm after a satellite PVR that does the series-link feature you get with Freesat, but works with a motorized setup. Any recommendations? Needs to be as simple/user-friendly as possible.

Background:

We watch TV via inbuilt freeview and freesat tuners (Panasonic plasma), but, despite supporting a HDD via usb, recording features aren't great. Which means we have an elderly standard-def freeview box (connected via scart to the tv, so bypassing the av amp) just for recording stuff - the series-link feature is particularly useful.

Separately (and driven by a second, motorized dish), we've got a basic Comag receiver to pickup foreign language channels. Works fine, but record features not good.

Ideally, I'd like to kill two birds with one stone and get rid of 1 box by combining the sat receiver with a modern pvr.

Options I've found so far are the Humax Foxsat (but the motorized bit is via a 'secret' menu, which sounds less than ideal). Otherwise, the Technomate TM-5402 HD M3 seems ok, but not sure if it supports series-link.

Thanks for any help

No closed source generics, such as the 5402, support series link. Most won't even give a 7 day EPG though the 5402 can. Any Enigma 2 Linux based box can emulate series link via a plugin called AutoTimer, but I've not tried it. There's a lot to be said for having the two receivers separate IMO, with a fixed dish and PVR for Freesat.

The Foxsat is an excellent Freesat machine, and will work fine with the motorised dish in non Freesat mode. It may just lose scheduled recordings if used in this way, search for more info, it's been discussed a few times.

If you're prepared to learn to use the linux based receivers then I can recommend the Vu range enough. I own a Vu+Duo2 and I love it. I play all my ripped blurays and dvd's through it as well as recording 1 channel whilst watching another. To get a good linux receiver you'll be in it to approx £300 so you need to consider if you really need a box that good.

Solo 2 is recommended, any Linux box will give you a type of series link, however the Linux boxes are not plug and play and take a bit to set up, however if you buy from a reputable dealer they can set everything up for you, world of satellite is where you need to buy vu boxes from to avoid buying a clone

I buy from Lee at goldwafers. Great customer service and good pricing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom