Recommend a receiver to replace Denon AVR3806 for B&W pv1 and m1's

anticlaus105

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a LG B7 arriving tomorrow. My PV1 and M1's have been in storage since I moved home Jan 16. I was going to get a soundbar but am thinking I may just put them back into action.

What would be a decent receiver to replace my Denon AVR3806 and would it be necessary to replace this to get the most from my setup. I mainly watch sky Q. I have an X box one S so may start to get some blu rays now I have a TV capable and I may even subscribe to something like netflix if worthwhile.

I haven't really been following receiver tech so have no idea how out of date my system may currently be.

Well I have my tv now so would really appreciate any suggestions. I'm not sure if last time I bought a receiver that was on the correct level in relation to the speakers or not?

What's your budget? Do you like the Denon sound? If so, maybe stick to Denon, or Marantz which are similar AVR's but slightly re-branded.

You're making the right decision bringing out the M1s as opposed to a soundbar. You can use a good mid range receiver with them but unfortunately you have not given a budget. As you already have a Denon then possibly stick with the make. Either the X2300 or X3300 will be fine with the M1s. My choice would be the X3300, it has slightly more power and has a better room EQ in Audyssey XT32 over the more basic EQ in the 2300.

You could get part exchange on your old Denon at Peter Tyson.
Denon AVR-X3300W AV Receiver

Thanks for the replies. I never thought about a px deal. I bought the denon as it had good write ups, but was never too sure if it was the correct amp to go with the speakers, if such a thing exists. I was happy with the sound but it took me a long time to set it up in a way I was happy with. The auto set up was never right. I paid around £995 i think and dont mind paying similar if that's recommended. I got demon as I got a 7910 (I tnink) dvd player and used denon link. That doesn't matter now so am happy to switch brands.

For around that money I'd strongly recommend the denon 4300H. Can be got for around £799 I believe. Plenty of power. Firmware confirmed to be incoming to upgrade hdmi throughput to 2.0b to allow for full advantage of dolby vision on your nice new TV and the outputs are future proofed. You can have 7.2.2 atmos setup straight away and has pre-outs to allow for an extra 2 atmos speakers with an extra amp if you wish to go that way. Plus, and most importantly... it sounds bloody fantastic!

There is a bench test of your current receiver here:

Test Bench for Shootout: Three Mid-Price A/V Receivers

It seems to perform really well, I would say if you are looking for a like for like swap to the current Denon range then the 4300 (£800) or even the 6300 (£1200) would be a good match. However, I am not sure that it would sound £800 better. You would be adding more features and convenience rather than sound quality.

You would get newer audio codecs, such as Dolby True HD / DTS HD- MA / Atmos / DTS:X, as well as the newer version of Audyssey room correction. You will also get more support for passing through 4k video. And the option to add additional speakers for height / ceiling / upfiring if you want to expand into that.

Cheers all. I have started a new thread re android receiver control, as I though it may garner more interest than asking the question in this one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom