Quantcast

Recommend a quality vintage AV amp for 2.1 use

brokenamp

Standard Member
I'm using a Yamaha DSP A2 for 2.1 music and TV at the moment, and really like it. I'm wanting to replace the amp in my office with something nicer for music listening. Digital (optical) imputs would be handy, and a crossover for using with a sub - so I was thinking another vintage receiver would be good. The option of automatic room adjustment using a microphone would be nice, but not essential - and I don't need HDMI or other bells and whistles, and am happy buying old. This is to use with some B&W standmounts that need a bit of power, but aren't unusually hard to drive or anything.

Any suggestions of old models to keep an eye out for? I was thinking I might find something that used to be mid/high end, but lacks the features people want for AV use nowadays. I'd look to spend maybe £50-100. I'd be happy with another DSP A2, but (given the age) ones in decent condition have got rarer and fetch a bit of a premium.

mushii

I use an Anthem MRX500 AVR they normally go for £200 - £300 and are probably equivalent to a modern £500 integrated amp

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I've used old Arcams for similar. In fact my AVR200 is still tucked away in the loft driving some ceiling speakers.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Usually we would suggest not using an AVR if you are only requiring a stereo set-up. You can get better sound quality for less money using just an integrated stereo amp.

mushii

Usually we would suggest not using an AVR if you are only requiring a stereo set-up. You can get better sound quality for less money using just an integrated stereo amp.
I would agree if the OP only wanted a 2.0 set-up, but as they wanted a 2.1 its often easier with an older high end AV Receiver. I would put my Anthem AVR500 up against upto a £400 - 500 integrated amp.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I would agree if the OP only wanted a 2.0 set-up, but as they wanted a 2.1 its often easier with an older high end AV Receiver. I would put my Anthem AVR500 up against upto a £400 - 500 integrated amp.
Maybe. A used integrated amp might be another option. Some have sub outs, the sub might have a high level connection.

Having said that, I'm not buying used again. With no warranty it's a bit of a gamble that's cost me a bit in the past.

So, a new or lightly used stereo amp with warranty?

brokenamp

Standard Member
If I was buying a fairly modern amp, I'd agree that a stereo amp would be better value for music listening. Older receivers often sell at a massive reduction to original selling price, though - e.g. there's a DSP A2 on ebay for £100 (too far away for me to collect :( ), and I'd be surprised to get a secondhand stereo amp that's the same quality as my A2 for £100. Let me know if I'm missing any stereo bargains, though :)

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Yes, I understand your point. Used AVR's are probably better value than used stereo amps. But.... even brand new AVR's have issues with reliability and all the features working as they should, so buying used is a gamble. Good luck! :)