• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Recommend a PSU

Holwill

Personally I would stick with the Corsair and avoid the budget thing on E-Buyer!

gvers

Personally I would stick with the Corsair and avoid the budget thing on E-Buyer!
I''d second that. Goods reviews on ebuyer just mean they deleted all the bad ones:devil:.

vsmora

I work with the ColorsIT PSUs quite often. They are actually not bad performing units for the money which makes them decent value. I wouldn't object to buying one personally for temporary use or just to keep on standby. However, make no mistake that they are in a different class entirely to most of the products on your list.

I highly recommend the Corsair HX. Excellent build quality topped off by a 5-year warranty. Unlike most companies they actually undersell the wattage the units are capable of. I've never seen a bad review of one, but if you need more convincing, check this in particular, which also focuses on the noise: Corsair HX520W & HX620W Modular power supplies | silentpcreview.com
Nothing against the other PSUs, but I don't know them well enough to recommend/comment.

baron samadi

I have the corsair in my media pc and it's working sweet with the cpu clocked to 3.3 ghz.

Jimbob123

Standard Member
I have the Corsair 620Watt, and would recommend it. Very nice quality, nice and quite, and has modular cables.

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Having just built my first HTPC, i'd highly recommend searching out a modular PSU, i had a right game hiding the excess cables that i didn't need from the PSU...

Mine is certainly whisper quiet though, can't hear it when you have your head in the case!!!

Might not be up to your requirements though as you seem to be looking at higher power ones than me...

Akasa Power Green 80+ 400W PSU: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

They do more powerful versions (slightly different model and not quite as efficient but is still very cheap!):

Akasa 500W PSU Eco-Friendly Power 80+: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Getting more power!

Akasa Power Green 80+ 600W PSU: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

For a HTPC, i figured 400w was more than ample!

Last edited:

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member

Agree - the ColoursIT I have used a few times in builds I was doing for work, and had a lot of fails. I have a Corsiar modular in my PC, and would recomend that with no qualms at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom