Recommend a projector under £4k

mouldy15

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm after a projector under £4000 ... I'm considering the...
Epson TW9400W
Optoma uhd60
Optoma uhd65
Jvc DLNA 5900
A lot of people seem to be singing the praises of the Epson TW9400W so I'm swayed to that but what do you recommend.?
I'll be useing 92 inch screen.......
The room will be 18 ft by 9.5 foot
I'm a complete novice on projectors so any advice will be appreciated

Out of those I'd go for the X5900, if you can stretch an extra £500 you could get an X7900 which is significantly better than any of those listed. It will help massively if it's a dedicated/treated room though.

If your budget is max'd out, then either the 5900 or the 9400 would be the best options. The JVC will always deliver outstanding black detail, but the difference in value to the latest 9400 is certainly placing it in contention

You could also look at the Sony VPL-VW320ES, it maybe a little older than the others, but its a native 4K beast and for that will always deliver something other than both the JVC and Epson

If your budget is max'd out, then either the 5900 or the 9400 would be the best options. The JVC will always deliver outstanding black detail, but the difference in value to the latest 9400 is certainly placing it in contention

You could also look at the Sony VPL-VW320ES, it maybe a little older than the others, but its a native 4K beast and for that will always deliver something other than both the JVC and Epson
Is the SONY VPL-VW320ES worth getting over the jvc 7900 as it's £500 cheaper and its native 4k .....i haven't demoed any projectors so I'm in the dark somewhat ..... How much better are they over the Epson are there's £1000 - 1500 difference I like the idea of the WIHD transmitter what comes with the Epson . .... The jvc 7900 is still a pixel shift projector is it not ? Like the Epson.?
I'm thinking for £4000 I might as well go for the Sony for its true 4k native would I be better off with the Sony than the jvc.?

It’s easy to answer the Epson question and it’s certainly noticeable like the differences between it and the JVC as the black detail and lens quality start to show.

With the Sony, this is a little harder as the JVC will still give the Sony a run for its money with black detail, but you really do need to step up to the X7900 to create a better all round competitor. Even then one thing the Sony has over both Epson and JVC is that the scaling chip is one of the best in the market and with none 4K material, it certainly has the edge when scaling footage (I've seen DVD's with detail that shouldn't be there thank to that Sony's ability). The only downside is that with a better lens in the Sony it would walk all over the X7900 with the exception of the black detail which should give you an idea where Sony has compromised.

So, is it better than both the X5900 and the 9400, that's a yes for everything except what has been mentioned above and if you never see the black detail of the JVC, you never notice that the Sony is lacking a little in this area (remember comparing black to a JVC is like comparing colour to a Sim2 projector, they are the best in the business in their retrospective areas) and in reality, its still very good in this area especially at this price point for a native 4K projector

The Epson has genuine circa £100 replacement lamps including housing, the JVC and Sony I think are considerably more. What about warranty on the older Sony and the 2 JVC's mentioned? These are just things I would also consider. Epson 9400 has a 5 year offer with most places at present.

By the time the 9400 is looking to be replaced you might find Native 4K is far more common and priced accordingly...

It’s easy to answer the Epson question and it’s certainly noticeable like the differences between it and the JVC as the black detail and lens quality start to show.

With the Sony, this is a little harder as the JVC will still give the Sony a run for its money with black detail, but you really do need to step up to the X7900 to create a better all round competitor. Even then one thing the Sony has over both Epson and JVC is that the scaling chip is one of the best in the market and with none 4K material, it certainly has the edge when scaling footage (I've seen DVD's with detail that shouldn't be there thank to that Sony's ability). The only downside is that with a better lens in the Sony it would walk all over the X7900 with the exception of the black detail which should give you an idea where Sony has compromised.

So, is it better than both the X5900 and the 9400, that's a yes for everything except what has been mentioned above and if you never see the black detail of the JVC, you never notice that the Sony is lacking a little in this area (remember comparing black to a JVC is like comparing colour to a Sim2 projector, they are the best in the business in their retrospective areas) and in reality, its still very good in this area especially at this price point for a native 4K projector
Sounds like the Sony is a great buy! I can't see the point of buying the jvc for a extra £500 over the Sony when it's not native 4k .
The appeal of the Epson is a good one though ... Like ALLTAKEN said its got a good warranty with bulbs etc.

That Sony motion and upscaling though. Could you demo them both?

That Sony motion and upscaling though. Could you demo them both?

These are two things the Sony does exceptionally well. But I’m with you on the warranty of the Epson plus it’s a bloody brilliant projector.

By the time the 9400 is looking to be replaced you might find Native 4K is far more common and priced accordingly...
I was thinking of getting a JVC N7, though with no supply until whenever and no reviews of production units I plumped for the 9400 instead. Thinking I might get a genuine 4K machine when they get better and cheaper.

Though it has impressed me so much that I may keep it for years. Fills my needs very well. :)

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting a JVC N7, though with no supply until whenever and no reviews of production units I plumped for the 9400 instead. Thinking I might get a genuine 4K machine when they get better and cheaper.

Though it has impressed me so much that I may keep it for years. Fills my needs very well. :)
Looks like that's 3 happy owners (@Luminated67 & myself are also in the club). I've no doubt the JVC's deliver deeper and more accurate blacks and the Sony better motion handling and upscaling, however, the 9400 is at the limit of what my room setup could benefit from and I'm pleased with the motion. Like yourself, it bridges the gap until native 4K comes to this price point.

If it were me in your shoes OP, with that budget, I'd rule out the non-native JVC's (Blacks benefit wouldn't be seen in my room), and the Sony would need to justify its price increase against the 9400 and quantifying that 'extra' being the deciding factor. A demo of those 2 machines would be my choice from a reseller who has both, I'd travel the distance with the aim of walking away with one of them.

Looking at the brightness of the Epson and the sony.... The Epson is 2600 lumens where the Sony is 1500 lumens could that make a difference to the viewing. ?

Each technology has its advantages and disadvantages so it is very important that you try before you buy.

If you can go over the £4000 mark check out the Optoma UHZ65 laser projector, as this gives improved blacks, (The Achilles heel of DLP projectors) a wider colour gamut (Compared to the cheaper DLP projectors) and a true 4K image. (Not native but you do get the same amount of pixels on-screen as native chips)

The Epson & JVC are also big (Really big) so make sure you have the space for them and a good solid platform.

In addition to the above check how long the HDMI cable needs to be, as if it’s over 7m you will probably need to go for an active fibre cable which bumps the price up quite a bit.

Bill

Looking at the brightness of the Epson and the sony.... The Epson is 2600 lumens where the Sony is 1500 lumens could that make a difference to the viewing.
If you are using the full brightness then yes, but usually for watching movies then no I feel you would not notice it as much as you may think once all the filters are in place to produce a good solid colourful movie

It's a hard choice which one to pick. I suppose a demo would decide it thing is the Sony that much better than the Epson for the extra cost ?
The Epson is attracting me because of the price although I can stretch to the Sony.. .... I'm not keen on paying £4500 for the jvc eshift.!
I just might go for a demo this weekend.!

It's a hard choice which one to pick. I suppose a demo would decide it thing is the Sony that much better than the Epson for the extra cost ?
The Epson is attracting me because of the price although I can stretch to the Sony.. .... I'm not keen on paying £4500 for the jvc eshift.!
I just might go for a demo this weekend.!

Funny I would be happier paying £4K for a new 7900 then used 320es because unless you are sitting way too close to the screen you will not notice any difference between 4K and e-shift and when you are up into this kind of money you generally have a dedicated light controlled room and then contrast ratio is key.

I wasn’t willing to spend £4K so I went for the Epson, it’s contrast is pretty decent, it’s image quality is as good and they come with 5 yr warranty and bulbs are anything up to a quarter of the price of the others.

Nobody said the Sony was used, we have a couple of brand new 320es in stock. One of each colour

Last edited:
Nobody said the Sony was used, we have a couple of brand new 320es in stock. One of each colour

Full warranty?

If so then it’s a harder decision but personally I’d still lean towards the 7900 simply because of its black levels. But someone else might pick the Sony because of its native 4K.

I've just asking as I'm currently working from home due to a long term illness and every time I communicate with anyone at AudioVisual Online, I always forget about them (Just another fun part of my illness :))

But someone else might pick the Sony because of its native 4K.

This is what I wonder, I'm still to test the Epson out with gaming but I wonder how much more noticeable it is when gaming as opposed to movies. Not many people seem to make a point about it, so maybe it's not too noticeable, or maybe not many game.

This is what I wonder, I'm still to test the Epson out with gaming but I wonder how much more noticeable it is when gaming as opposed to movies. Not many people seem to make a point about it, so maybe it's not too noticeable, or maybe not many game.

I think @Peeto is a gamer who has a EH-TW7400 and I’ve seen his posted images of 4K games that are amazing. You should go on to the Epson 7400/9400 thread and search there, you will be impressed.

I'm very happily gaming @4k on my X7900, a definite step up over 1080p. :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom