1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend a projector (not for watching DVDs)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dilshad, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Dilshad

Dilshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about buying a projector, but don't know about SVGA, XGA, lumens, etc.

I'd use it for watching films occassionally, but mostly for connecting to my pc/laptop for powerpoint presentations. This bit is important as most of the projector talk here is centred on watching DVDs. I am buying it for PC work and will only use it for watching DVDs because I have it.

What should I look out for? Which ones are reasonably priced. I'm thinking about the Epson EMP-S1.

Also, my brother repairs projectors and he wants to offer a free replacement whilst he takes the broken projector to repair, so ideally it should be a bit portable as he is paying for half of this.

Thanks.

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    For powerpoint use I would recommend at least a 1000 lumens projector with 4:3 ratio screen (squarish, not widescreen) and XGA graphics which is 1024 x 768.

I don't have enought experience in useing them (apart from the mega expensive ones at work) to recommend any. Someone else?

3. Ricco

Ricco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi dilly,

Not sure what you mean about your brother repairs projecotrs...
    If he works for a company who repair projectors under the manufacturers guarantee, then I suggest you speak to you brother to find out who he repairs them for.

If I have totally misinterprited the question, then most manufacturers offer either 3yr loan or exchange. Also, dealers / retailers will offer this, but at a cost. Suggest you look at the manufacturers site first to see if they state the loan or swap and that you are not been done by the dealer / retailer.

Now onto models.
    I would suggest an SVGA model as the native resolution is closer on video than XGA. Also you will be saving in cost.
    If the room you are using allows full light in and the lights for the room are going to be on, you need to look for a minimum of 2000 ansi lumens otherwise the images become washed out, except for a day like this.
    If you are going to have some form of darkness, then cyberheater is right in that you only need 1000 lumes.
    Then you need to look at the contrast ratio. For data, you don't really need more than 350:1 which would indicate LCD, however if you are wanting to enpahsie on dark levels for you films, you need at least 800:1 which would indicate DLP.

Can't suggest make or model becasue you might come back and say it's not good enough, but for all the above and a cheap price, the Infocus or NEC ranges are probably best. I have also mentioned a few times on this forum the Sharp PG-B10S. Only because I have seen one.

Hope this helps.

4. Dilshad

Dilshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, cyberheater and ricco.

My brother repairs monitors, projectors working for himself. We recently formed a company where we maintain and repair IT equipment for other companies with my brother doing the repairs. My brother is going to offer a loan projector while he takes the broken one off-site to repair. To incentivise the customer to use our services, they get to keep the loan projector free until their one is fixed.

This would be for out-of -warranty products as we would charge for the repair - so if the item is under warranty, they should call the manufacturer/dealer to get it sorted.

I will have a look at the Sharp, NEC and Infocus ones. I may even try to get one second hand (anyone know where from?)

Thanks for all the advice.

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    dilly, before I offer any advice I need to hold my hands up and tell you that I'm biased because I work for a manufacturer and my day job is selling their range of business projectors. So, if you are happy with that then read on...

OK, quick summary: looking for a portable-ish pj for PC use by you and your bro. Your application is mostly PC presentations and a little video. Your bro wants it to be a loan unit for the business. I guess cost comes into this somewhere. You've mentioned the Epson S1 which is certainly a cheapie, so you'll be interested in purchase cost plus the running cost since it will be on loan to other businesses who won't be bothered about burning your expensive lamp hours whilst their machine is in for repair. Have I missed anything?

Your requirements are very similar to the Hire companies that rent out projectors. A flexible projector which is bright enough to present a good image is a wide variety of conditions. Something easy to use since it will be going out to lots of different clients. Low running costs are important - so a lamp that lasts longer than average would be a good idea, and to prevent abuse it would be nice to have some security features that let you store owner info and set how many hours the client can run the projector for. Lastly it would be a bonus if the projector was really quiet, even at full power, and it was able to handle different aspect ratios on film/TV/games consoles etc.

I have two products that fit the bill here. Both are 1500 ANSI lumens LCD projectors with all the feature listed above.

The Philips bSure XG2 is an XGA resolution projector that uses a 3000hr avg life lamp. It has a side mounted carry handle and has a complete set of AV inputs so you'll be compatible with any clients PC or AV system.

The second is the Philips bSure SV2 which is based on the same body style but uses an SVGA resolution display to keep the costs down. This one has a 6000hr average lamp life.

Both products are near silent in operation even at full power, and they come with a 3 year warranty including on-site loan warranty cover for the first year. A quick google search will get you some competitive pricing on both these models.

I haven't recommended our lowest cost projector, the Philips bClever which competes with the Epson S1 even though it uses our 6000 hr lamp. I think the extra features and brightness on the bSure range would be more valuable to you in the long run than just saving a few quid up front. However, it is an option if budget is really tight.

Good luck.

6. PeterV

PeterV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could listen to me as I have aceess to just about every brand on the market and can give unbiased opinions.

Firstly I would scream at you... avoid Infocus. From our experience, build quality, performance and above all relliability are all poor.

The Epson S1 has also suffered from reliability issues and is distinctly a budget offering.

As for resolution, unles you are confident the projector will only be used with a native SVGA (800 x 600) resolution projector then you should absolutely make sure you get XGA (1024 x 768)

If you are nor sure as to what environment you will be using the projector in then the brightest you can afford, whilst not compromising portability is advisable.

My own personal recommendations (depending on budget) are:

Sanyo PLC XW20A 1100 lumens, 2.8kg - currently with free spare lamp offer from Sanyo.

Sanyo PLC XU50 2000 lumens, 2.9kg - very punchy if a little loud in full brightness mode. Quiet but still bright in whisper mode.

3M X50 2000 lumens, 2.9kg - well built & extremely good on the eye. Quiet & refined. Build around Hitachi innards (Hitachi are probably the most relliable brand currently on the market) twin data inputs & monitor out - useful.

Sony VPL CX6 2000 lumens, 2.7kg - hey its a Sony !! user friendly, auto everything - limited ins & outs

Well thats my opinion - unbiased (honestly) as I also sell Philips, NEC, Epson, Plus, Optoma, Sharp, Hitachi...& more

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    PeterV,

As a newcomer to the forum, a lack of knowledge of regular and well respected members might be understandable, - I suggest you take the time to check previous posts, or members opinions of Chris.

You say that you are in the trade - you should identify yourself in your sig, which is standard practice - as with Chris, or Gordon Fraser, Roland Brooks, Liam McLoughlin, Ivojo (Ken Davies) to mention just a few.

In my experience here members usually listen to advice which is given honestly and in a friendly manner - Chris's post scores on both accounts.

Sean G.

8. Dilshad

Dilshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the info. Still undecided as to which one to go for. Chris, can you offer any deals on your projectors? :) Worth a try!!

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I'm not allowed to sell directly, but we've got some great deals with our distributors and dealers which should definitely filter down to you.

There's £100 off the trade price of the bSure XG2 (LC3142) at the moment. That would make quite a difference to the final price.

If you prefer SVGA then I'm sure you could negotiate a pretty good deal on the bSure SV2. It's a very popular model so there a lot of competition for business.

Regards